What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 am

Reading Railsea by China Miéville at the moment. It starts with a world inspired by his whaling obsessed namesake but changed in some very imaginative ways. Now it's going off in some other direction and I love it. He's one of my favourite contemporary authors.

I also recently enjoyed The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band Who Burned a Million Pounds.

I didn't care about the klf before and I still don't but it's a fantastic book.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:44 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:I also recently enjoyed The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band Who Burned a Million Pounds.

I didn't care about the klf beforeandI still don't but it's a fantastic book.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:19 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:
odontophobia wrote:Loved the Farseer Triology. The Tawny Man Trilogy is also great. I liked it a bit more than Farseer. Robin Hobb is great.

Haven't read Riryia yet. Picked up a few of the books. Fantasy is definitely my jam.

I'm about half-way through the third book in Brent Weeks Demon Cycle series. Cool concept. It's been a fun story so far.

I'm only a quarter of the way through the first book in Riryia. It's made me laugh quite a bit. I'm enjoying the dialog in that respect. I'll probably hop back to Hobb after I finish these. I think I'm going to read her stuff in order and do the Liveship Traders before Tawny Man.
Looking forward to Brent Weeks down the line. I picked up the Lightbringer books, didn't realize it wasn't finished yet :cry:
Do you mean Peter V. Brett? The Warded Man, etc.? Those look cool!

Yeah. Meant Brett. Literally mix the two up constantly. Have book one of Lightnbringer up soon so you can understand my confusion.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 pm

the last batch of reading i did was mostly music related with some other current-affairs stuff. there was a book called Overthrow about US neo-colonialism and military intervention from 1890-present. it was good, but by the time i got to the 1970s i had to quit because it made me so angry.

Waiting For The Sun by Barney Hoskyns is a LA-area music history that goes from postwar jazz through the Beach Boys/Byrds/Buffalo Springfield era, the 70s music explosion, 80s hardcore and hair metal, and 90s-up hip-hop. it's OK if you can deal with his biases...he HATES everything that came out of LA in the 70s except Little Feat and Beefheart, and IMO way overrates bands like the Germs and Alice Bag. i didn't notice much in the way of errors, though.

Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson is a new biography that peels back decades of lies--including Charlie's--and reveals his childhood, adolescence, and adult life with the aid of many relatives the author located in McKechnie, WV. essential for anyone with an interest in the Family or in the dark side of 60s culture.

Season of the Witch: Enchantment, Terror, and Deliverance in the City of Love is a comprehensive social history of San Francisco from the 50s to the present. the parts about hippie culture are good, the Zebra killings and Jonestown sections are terrifying, and the section on the AIDS epidemic will break your heart.

let me also put in a word for Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth, which i re-read when i was on my last Altamont kick. it's one of the best-written books about rock anywhere, and if you care about the 1962-1969 Stones it's essential.

next thing i'm getting is an anthology of noir novels from the 50s, which i ordered because an online friend recommended Jim Thompson after i noted my love for Raymond Chandler. this is a bit unusual for me because i'm mostly a non-fiction guy on the premise that nobody can make up stories weirder than everyday life.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 am

Lots of good books being listed here.

Currently reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's August 1914. Bought it ages ago, never made much headway, but it's actually quite nice once you get back into the languid pace of the classic Russian authors (this is very much a thing, trust me).

Apparently there's a much expanded version that came out a decade or so afterward (containing the stuff that got edited to avoid Soviet censorship) but I don't have that one.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:13 am

Solzhenitsyn's an interesting one, especially when you get into his actual beliefs. Rather different than you'd be led to believe by the way in which his works and legacy are used (over here, at least).

Just finished up a Hume kick (Treatise + Enquiry and some essays), now reading Radio Free Albemuth and it's kinda spooky.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:24 am

The Eristic wrote:Solzhenitsyn's an interesting one, especially when you get into his actual beliefs. Rather different than you'd be led to believe by the way in which his works and legacy are used (over here, at least).

Yeah, I think we did One Day in the Life of... in 9th grade world history when we studied the gulags (spoiler: gulags are bad)

And that was pretty much all we heard from him.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Haven't read it in a while, so I started up 1984 again.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Y'all ever re read boyhood novels like treasure island?
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:04 am

Yeah, and Alice in wonderland.. good shit.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:57 am

I recently read Sourdough by Robin Sloan, and it was great (like Mr Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore was).
Recommended if you like slightly weird modern fiction that takes place in the San Francisco area :).

I also finished the second volume of the Three Body Problem series (The Dark Forest). I got it because several people mentioned that it was better than the first book (which left me a bit disappointed) and it was indeed better, so I'll probably get the third at some point. It's also interesting to read China-centric fiction, a different point of view on the world...

Currently reading The Player of Games by Iain Banks (Culture series). The Culture books I've read were quite good and this one is really nice so far.

And I've got one non-fiction in progress : "Scale - The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Economies, and Companies" by Geoffrey West. I just read a bit of it so far but it's very good and interesting so far. Very readable too.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 pm

I thought Dark Forest was the best of the trilogy although it was still with reading all of them.

Player of Games was fantastic. I love all the Banks books I've read so much I'm rationing myself to savour them for longer.

I'll check out Sourdough, I'm always interested in new contemporary writers

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 am

I read Sourdough on the train this morning, it was a delight!! Very of the moment and trendy topic of course, but it was a really warm story and strange enough to be interesting. Will definitely check out his other books.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am

Picked up a used paperback of 2 years before the mast... kind of interested to see how much Melville really did rip it off
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Iain Banks was truly a national treasure, his non-genre fiction is as good as, if not better than his Culture series. That said, Use of Weapons could be a real career highlight.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion