What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I always buy a paperback copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea and a few others.. and I distribute them to friends and passers by.. it's one of the best.

Currently I just finished The Meg because .. sharks. And that got me back into Peter Benchley and I started the Island. I watched the movie a year ago or something... Jacqueline Bissett looks pretty good
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:21 am

Just finished Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
Started Michael J. Sullivan's Riryia Revelations.
Never really read much fantasy. I'm really enjoying it. I'm also really diggin this Kindle Paperwhite. I bought it for my vacation thinking it would be cool for travel, but am enjoying it more than I thought I would.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby calfzilla » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am

Just finished the newest Dresden Files short story anthology. Really love this series. I just hope he actually writes a new Dresden Files novel soon. It’s been too long.

Up next: Aeronaut’s Windlass because the Dresden Files are so good I’ll try to read anything from butcher.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Just wrapped up Language In Thought and Action. Great read and read it as a result of reading Technopoly. LITAA can best be summarized with: “the map is not the territory” ... words/images are REPRESENTATIONS of things/phenomena, not the things/phenomena themselves ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Raven Stratagem (Sequel to Ninefox Gambit) Yoon Ha Lee - very enjoyable Sci-Fi.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm

I finished the Bassoon King, Neuromancer, and several HP Lovecraft stories (the Nameless City, Colour Out of Space, the Festival, Call of Cthulhu, the Dunwich Horror, and maybe a few others) while at the cottage awhile ago.

The Bassoon King was a really easy, but enjoyable read; I did not know what a ridiculous life Rainn Wilson has had.

Neuromancer was amazing sci-fi. I didn't realise it was a trilogy, but when I found out I immediately picked up Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. I'm reading Count Zero now and enjoying it just as much as Neuromancer so far.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 pm

I read Neuromancer maybe a decade ago and still haven't read the other 2. I really enjoyed it as well. :lol:

The book I enjoyed most in the last few months was Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney. Impressive first novel and an interesting read. Maybe less so if you're not a neurotic millenial IDK but I'm very target audience in that regard. :)*
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dapper Bandit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 am

Neuromancer is legit top tier sci-fi.
The rest of the sprawl trilogy and also his Bridge trilogy are amazeballs and you should read them.

I wish I could read Gibson for the first time again.

Just putting the finishing moves on Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. Hadn't considered how profoundly the landscape has affected human history, although it's perfectly obvious if you think about it for more than 20 seconds. Still, learning is cool because knowledge is power!
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:Neuromancer is legit top tier sci-fi.
The rest of the sprawl trilogy and also his Bridge trilogy are amazeballs and you should read them.

I wish I could read Gibson for the first time again.

Just putting the finishing moves on Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. Hadn't considered how profoundly the landscape has affected human history, although it's perfectly obvious if you think about it for more than 20 seconds. Still, learning is cool because knowledge is power!

Check out Revenge of Geography after you wrap up Marshall's book. That Geography is a bad mofo …. taking revenge and prisoners at the same time :excellent:
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:11 am

Who knew Geography was so dangerous?
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby morange » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 am

Just bought Leviathan Wakes. I've heard The Expanse on Amazon Prime is good, and I wanted to check out the books before watching those.

morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby weebles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

jirodreamsofdank wrote:A quarter of the way through the third Stormlight Archive novel - I've never read any epic fantasy before (I tapped out on LOTR as a teenager after the first genealogy of a tree or something I found equally inane) so I decided to give some fantasy a whirl this year. Didn't know going in that it was a 10 book series published every 2-3 years so I'll probably be dead before the last one comes out.

I'm halfway through book 2, and have loved this series so far.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:19 pm

dozicusmaximus wrote:Just finished Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
Started Michael J. Sullivan's Riryia Revelations.
Never really read much fantasy. I'm really enjoying it. I'm also really diggin this Kindle Paperwhite. I bought it for my vacation thinking it would be cool for travel, but am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Loved the Farseer Triology. The Tawny Man Trilogy is also great. I liked it a bit more than Farseer. Robin Hobb is great.

Haven't read Riryia yet. Picked up a few of the books. Fantasy is definitely my jam.

I'm about half-way through the third book in Brent Weeks Demon Cycle series. Cool concept. It's been a fun story so far.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dozicusmaximus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:39 am

odontophobia wrote:Loved the Farseer Triology. The Tawny Man Trilogy is also great. I liked it a bit more than Farseer. Robin Hobb is great.

Haven't read Riryia yet. Picked up a few of the books. Fantasy is definitely my jam.

I'm about half-way through the third book in Brent Weeks Demon Cycle series. Cool concept. It's been a fun story so far.

I'm only a quarter of the way through the first book in Riryia. It's made me laugh quite a bit. I'm enjoying the dialog in that respect. I'll probably hop back to Hobb after I finish these. I think I'm going to read her stuff in order and do the Liveship Traders before Tawny Man.
Looking forward to Brent Weeks down the line. I picked up the Lightbringer books, didn't realize it wasn't finished yet :cry:
Do you mean Peter V. Brett? The Warded Man, etc.? Those look cool!
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:03 am

edgar cayce read books while he was asleep....maybe we all do...if they are close enough to your pillow... :idk:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion