What are you reading?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

What are you reading?

Postby Doodahman1969 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 am

Been back on a book tear this week and didn't see this topic yet, so here we go:

Society Of The Spectacle: Guy Debord

A great introduction to Situationist philosophy. A must read if yr into Anti Ideology ( not to be confused at all with anarchy)


The Revolution Of Everyday Life: Raoul Vaneigem

More Situationist philosophy. Plenty of excellent points are made, but be prepared if you choose to read it as (especially in later chapters) it tends to mash several concepts
together within in one sentence. Many bands have lifted concepts from this text ( sometimes out of context.... but anyway)

Hatred Of Democracy: Jacques Ranciere

Finished this one a bit earlier and holy shit was it good. A post Postmodern attack on Democracy done extremely well. Two of my favorite points made:

- Wealth aims at endless growth,
but it does not have the power to transcend itself

- The democratic scandal simply consists in revealing this:
there will never be, under the name of politics, a single
principle of the community, legitimating the acts of governors
based on laws inherent to the coming together of human
communities.

Doodahman1969

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dexterecus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:57 am

Image

The book is basically about alot of weird stuff happening to some dude who then mentions every 50 pages that you can choose what you do and don't believe and that reality is a flexible term. It's pretty cool.
You just need a passive bass, a tube amp, and a metric ton of marijuana and Sabbath worship.
Dexterecus

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Chumley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 am

Rereading the Hitchhiker's trilogy. *shrug*
I want a giant bunny and I want a bunch of regular bunnies and they will form a hive mind and the giant bunny will be the queen bunny and they will attack in swarms.
Chumley

experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby morange » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 am

Dexterecus wrote: . . . some dude who then mentions every 50 pages that you can choose what you do and don't believe and that reality is a flexible term.

I could use a reminder of that now and then. I'll probably check that out.

Image
morange

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Montesano, WA

Re: What are you reading?

Postby snipelfritz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:06 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation

Science is trippy shit. Seriously, did you know that evaporation is actually water molecules bumping into each other with enough force for one of them to break free and fly into the air? If I did know, I clearly forgot. Either way, that's awesome!!!

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn
I just started rereading that one for like ten minutes and then I remembered to post this.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA

Behndy wrote:i don't like people with "talent" and "skills" that don't feel the need to cover their inadequacies under good time happy sounds.
snipelfritz

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11720
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Re: What are you reading?

Postby siamesegun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 am

+1 to wikipedia. I link stumble on there every day for hours.

I just finished Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by Daniel Wallace. It was meh.
My Band (Currently in a state of flux)
siamesegun

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 am
Location: layflat. indianland.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Achtane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 am

I re-read The Road but I skimmed through it and didn't actually do the entire book so it didn't crush me again.

I need something new to read.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:Und jetzt lass uns ein paar Bäume abfackeln und Beats machen!

Image
Achtane

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 13448
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 am
Location: under the manchineel

Re: What are you reading?

Postby siamesegun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:48 am

Achtane wrote:I re-read The Road but I skimmed through it and didn't actually do the entire book so it didn't crush me again.

I need something new to read.


Read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Or Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.
My Band (Currently in a state of flux)
siamesegun

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 am
Location: layflat. indianland.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby snipelfritz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 pm

siamesegun wrote:
Achtane wrote:I re-read The Road but I skimmed through it and didn't actually do the entire book so it didn't crush me again.

I need something new to read.


Read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

I was just thinking of that. Very interesting book. Basically a cultural analysis of human history framed within a story about a talking gorilla. I don't quite remember what the ultimate point of the book was. I need to give it a second read.

Speaking of frame tales, Joseph Conrad rulez! Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim are awesome albeit a dense read(Heart of Darkness is much shorter, and the novel Apocalypse Now was loosely based on). Kafka is probably my other favorite writer. I have a book with some of short stories illustrated in a weird black and white comic book style.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA

Behndy wrote:i don't like people with "talent" and "skills" that don't feel the need to cover their inadequacies under good time happy sounds.
snipelfritz

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11720
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Re: What are you reading?

Postby julius_deane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm re-reading Scott Pilgrim. :whateva: I know

I started Atwood's The Flood months ago and almost finished it, but kinda lost interest as I often do. The end of novels often bores me. Maybe I'll finish it right now.

The other night, I read the first few pages of Let The Right One In and I'll probably go back to it pretty soon.

I also just got caught up on The Walking Dead trades.

I read an issue #1 of this because this is the newest cover:
Image
I spot a DS-1, Blue Box(?), and power brick. :)

Am I the only one who reads comics?
F up my Insta: grr_noise
julius_deane

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 pm
Location: Saint Louis

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Chumley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Can't be a Blue Box, it's got three knobs.
I want a giant bunny and I want a bunch of regular bunnies and they will form a hive mind and the giant bunny will be the queen bunny and they will attack in swarms.
Chumley

experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Achtane » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 am

siamesegun wrote:Read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Or Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.


I'll check 'em out, thanks.

julius_deane wrote:I'm re-reading Scott Pilgrim. :whateva: I know

I started Atwood's The Flood months ago and almost finished it, but kinda lost interest as I often do. The end of novels often bores me. Maybe I'll finish it right now.

The other night, I read the first few pages of Let The Right One In and I'll probably go back to it pretty soon.

I also just got caught up on The Walking Dead trades.

I read an issue #1 of this because this is the newest cover:

I spot a DS-1, Blue Box(?), and power brick. :)

Am I the only one who reads comics?


The black and white one kinda looks like an Xotic X-blender. Also I was pretty into The Walking Dead until
NSFW: show
the prison part
where shit got more and more ridiculous until I couldn't continue. I couldn't relate to those characters very well. It's still a good series though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:Und jetzt lass uns ein paar Bäume abfackeln und Beats machen!

Image
Achtane

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 13448
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 am
Location: under the manchineel

Re: What are you reading?

Postby CaptainWampum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Going through Carlos Castaneda's books.
CaptainWampum

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What are you reading?

Postby culturejam » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Reading Dune for the probably 15th time. Also reading sections of a Japanese history book. I also just read most of this one:

Image

CaptainWampum wrote:Going through Carlos Castaneda's books.

Hell yeah! The first one BLEW MY FUCKING MIND.
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #2: Partner at 424 Studios
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Nueva Yersey

Re: What are you reading?

Postby StudioShutIn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Well this is nothing as adventurous as the rest of y'all are reading..but the last few weeks I've been reading "The Island of Lost Maps" It's about cartography and the various attempts (successful and otherwise) to deface/steal famous historical atlases and maps.
StudioShutIn

 

Next

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.