apolitical/bitter partisanship/chronic dysfunction thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: apolitical/"abolition of civil rights" is wishful thinki

Postby dubkitty » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 am

"Note the curious way that they poller decided to describe the GND, also, the time period"

that's not "curious," it's a laudable attempt to de-fang the Republicans' hysterical propaganda.
"there is no culture is my brag"--Mark E. Smith

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley

"i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
i want to walk in the snow and not soil its purity"--Richey Edwards

"it's not as if it's fun
at least not any more"--Stuart Murdoch

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Re: apolitical/bitter partisanship/chronic dysfunction threa

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 pm

By....not accurately describing it?
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:45 pm

They don't call it "political science" for nuthin'. :idk:
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
"Flangers gonna Flange, though. There's no way around that." - Joel Korte
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:13 am

"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
"Flangers gonna Flange, though. There's no way around that." - Joel Korte
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 pm

jirodreamsofdank wrote:snip

You are missing my whole point - no party has gotten their entire platform passed IN A SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION. If the GND didn’t have that fourth point tacked on the end (guaranteed high paying jobs, free healthcare, free higher education, the now-removed “unable or unwilling to work” piece, etc) we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Introduce that as a separate bill and make a fuckton of noise about it; don’t play bullshit politics with climate change.

Yes, I know the GND is a non-bonding resolution, but thanks to all the non-climate shit being thrown in anything that resembles it will not pass. The GOP is obviously not going to sign on with it, and a majority of Dems don’t like it either.

And “make the opposition party vote against it?” Why? Congress has had shitty approval ratings and for the most part hasn’t given a fuck about what their constituents want for decades. They vote against what the people want and yet they keep getting re-elected. 2018 saw a huge freshman class, but that was mostly a rebuke against Trump; AOC, Tlaib, etc. all represent extremely liberal districts and are not the norm form most Americans, who still identify as either conservatives or moderates (see the Gallup poll I posted). Why waste time on some bullshit morality measure that won’t yield any results? Break these up so each measure can get more attention, making as much noise as possible for each one, and you’ll have much more success in getting people behind it, or at the very least voting in people who do. This all-right-now has not and does not work, as you keep showing by mentioning the Tea Party has to spend a decade getting their shit passed.

This is my problem with the extremes on both sides - they want everything immediately and are unwilling to budge on it. The Tea Party eventually learned to spread it out, and it still remains to be seen if the progs will learn that lesson.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Bassist_Diver » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Damn, for once being branded as one of the Democrats' rising stars, Beto has been dragged through the mud these past 24 hours. I personally think he should have gone after Cornyn's Senate seat to gain more legislative experience prior to running for the white house, (it'll be insanely easy to win; Cornyn doesn't have the same support as that carpet-bagging snake oil salesman for some reason) but maybe he's hoping he can hop on as the VP running mate? Either way, HUGE gamble on his part; if he blows this I don't think he'll have an easy time being re-elected to a national position, at least in Texas.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Bassist_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Bassist_Diver wrote:
jirodreamsofdank wrote:snip

You are missing my whole point - no party has gotten their entire platform passed IN A SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION.

As I keep trying to explain, the GND, Medicare for All and an increase in taxes on the wealthy aren't "a single piece of legislation."

Which is to say, your criticism of Ocasio-Cortez is fundamentally incoherent.

And “make the opposition party vote against it?” Why?

Because it's a good thing to make your opponent defending doing something unpopular.

2018 saw a huge freshman class, but that was mostly a rebuke against Trump; AOC, Tlaib, etc. all represent extremely liberal districts and are not the norm form most Americans, who still identify as either conservatives or moderates (see the Gallup poll I posted).

"I'm a moderate" is meaningless, everyone is taught that this is the sensible, forthright position to be. It's "common sense."
Now dig into the numbers on where people actually stand on issues.

This is my problem with the extremes on both sides - they want everything immediately and are unwilling to budge on it. The Tea Party eventually learned to spread it out, and it still remains to be seen if the progs will learn that lesson.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
jirodreamsofdank

committed
committed

Postby Bassist_Diver » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Well the GND has been amended since I last read it ~ a month ago and a lot of the provisions that basically list her entire platform has been removed, so you are correct that it has been broken into separate legislation.

As for everything else, we're going around in circles so I'm dropping it and focusing on other things - like why TF is the DNC ripping each other apart already and basically ostracizing people they deem "aren't <position left of center> enough" based on certain factions of the party.

Bassist_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm

as part of my attempts to do small things to make the world a better place, i just wanted to tell y'all about the guy on Twitter who called Milo Yiannoupolous "Yolo Minneapolis." you're welcome.

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley

"it's not as if it's fun

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:06 pm

jirodreamsofdank

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm

dubkitty wrote:as part of my attempts to do small things to make the world a better place, i just wanted to tell y'all about the guy on Twitter who called Milo Yiannoupolous "Yolo Minneapolis." you're welcome.

OMG, I’m so tempted to find a stock photo of a twink and start a Twitter account with that name just to see how many shitty flesh sacks follow it.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
D.o.S. wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:No idea what the Spacemen 3 were using
Drugs. All of the drugs.
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Those Missouri bills requiring AR15 and handgun ownership. They won't pass, but somebody needs to look into that dude's offshore accounts.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 am

The idea is stupid but not surprising to me or abnormal for a reactionary, it's just trying to 'own the libs' by playing up the "well-regulated militia" clause.
jirodreamsofdank

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 am

one wonders if they understand that they're requiring literally every PoC, leftist, antifascist, and anarchist in the state of Missouri to be armed? be careful what you ask for, for you may get it!

"it's not as if it's fun

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Having lived in Missouri for a spell I think most of the people who are on board with this are already armed to the teeth and/or think everyone with a darker skintone than them is and they need to "even the score." When I got a new job back in Texas it's a miracle I didn't get a speeding ticket on my way out of that state.

Bassist_Diver

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion