Let's see your BICYCLE!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your BICYCLE!

Postby dubkitty » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 am

i guess that doesn't help in terms of dedicated cycling jerseys. i really don't know anything about them.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:52 am

PeteeBee wrote:Anyone have strong thoughts on cycling apparel? My sister is signing the two of us up for some big fondo style rides this summer, so I feel some need to actually kit up. I’m attracted to the aesthetics of the company Search and State, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the money. They’ll have some holiday sales, but it will still be expensive for a jersey.

:idk: The only apparel I think I'd be qualified to comment on would be gloves.

That's the only type of bicycle clothing I've ever worn consistently. :lol:

I can say, don't skimp on the quality riding wear though. The cheap stuff I've bought never held up for very long. Expensive stuff usually does well over time.

dubkitty wrote: i used to have the hots for a particular Bianchi with Campagnolo kit which i figured i'd configure like a cyclocross bike so it'd be more likely to survive city life without constant flats.

If you're worried about flats in the city, I'd once again recommend Scwalbe Marathon Plus tires.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:37 pm

For anyone wondering, I opted to buy a used bike trainer from a friend instead of some new cycling clothing. I'd rather actually be fast than look fast, you know?
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

PeteeBee wrote:Anyone have strong thoughts on cycling apparel? My sister is signing the two of us up for some big fondo style rides this summer, so I feel some need to actually kit up. I’m attracted to the aesthetics of the company Search and State, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the money. They’ll have some holiday sales, but it will still be expensive for a jersey.

Wiggle DHB stuff is pretty good for budget gear, most of my jerseys are DHB. The fit on them is super good. I think its worth it to shell out extra for some of the affordable stuff from a brand like Castelli for bibs, they last much longer and have better pads.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 pm

repoman wrote:

Wiggle DHB stuff is pretty good for budget gear, most of my jerseys are DHB. The fit on them is super good. I think its worth it to shell out extra for some of the affordable stuff from a brand like Castelli for bibs, they last much longer and have better pads.

Yo that's great to hear. My favorite bibs are Castelli. The pad is so much better than my other ones.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:21 pm

so i really shouldn't given my economic position, but i'm being hella tempted by a mountain bike on eBay. it's a barely-used Bontrager steel frame with LX/XT kit and all Bontrager components and Avid V-brakes. the frame size and geometry seem like they're right for me, with a nice steep head tube angle that'll make it even a bit twitchier/more maneuverable than my Klein. the Klein is actually a little big for me, and fits more like a modern road bike frame with a sloped top tube; i wind up stretched way out over the top of the bike. the Bontrager should be easier to flog around off-road given its geometry and the more resilient steel construction. and it's only $400, where it would have been well north of $1500 new. et voila:

bontrager.jpg
bontrager.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 3869 times

the question is, do i talk myself out of it and do sensible shit like having my computer repaired? or just say "fuck it, i want"?

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Depends on if you plan to spend more time on the computer or more time in the saddle. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I dunno man, I don't think there's any reason at this point to not get a modern mountain bike. Slack HTA is better in all terrain, hydro disc brakes are hands down better than everything else, tubeless tires, 1X drivetrains, 100-140mm air forks, etc. Bikes now are unbelievably better than what we were riding in the 90s.

Unless we're talking a truly rare frame or a bike you saw in a catalog 20 years ago that you've been dreaming about, $400 for an outdated MTB is not worth it. That Bontrager is in damn good shape though, and pre-Trek ruination.

And I say that as a rider who LOVES vintage MTBs with an MB-0 frame in storage waiting for the right components to pop up for a rebuild.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm

granted i'm an old Luddite, but i still don't trust disc brakes. if cantis get fucked up when i'm ten miles up a back road i can jerry-rig something to get home...hydraulics, not so much. also, as i said back in the 90s, "i can launch myself over the handlebars with regular brakes just fine." and i never use more than the first notch of adjustment on the fork anyway...i just need enough boing to save my wrists and don't like it when the bike wallows from the suspension (thus i don't like FS bikes). i just really like the idea of a nice old-school lightweight steel frame. the Klein is of course aluminum and it's stiffer than Lenin's corpse--which is good for riding in the city where i logged most of my miles back then cos i have short legs and need to maximize my efficiency--but i could use something a little less pummelsome in my senescence.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm

$400 bucks for an old MTB is way too much money, it's probably that high because I imagine there is a bit of kitsch with that one because of the name on it.
Modern aluminum frames are very different than the older ones. My steel Soma Wolverine is far less comfortable than my aluminum road bike if I have them both on 28mm tires.
Have you ever thought about using cable actuated discs if you are worried about hydraulic? Some of those are very good and fixable in the same way as cantis if something goes wrong with them out in the middle of no where.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:01 pm

i don't think it would be practical to think about disc brakes unless i was getting an all-new bike, which is kind of impractical atm. i don't believe they could be retrofitted to a frame with cantilever bosses [correct me if i'm wrong!] and i'd probably have to replace the Judy with a compatible suspension fork. i suppose that if i were to go discs i'd prefer cable type. i don't feel good about equipment that becomes dangerously useless when it breaks. i'll always carry a manual compass and map in the backcountry, too, even if i have a GPS. the more complex something is, the more likely it is to fuck you at the worst possible time.

some aspects of more modern MTB design appeal...particularly, the 1- and 2-ring cranksets seen nowadays would be way simpler in practice than 3x8. but i don't like a slack HTA at all...with a 67-70° angle i have to hack away with the bar to get it to turn, while the Klein's 72° angle lets me steer by shifting my weight to one side. steeper is just more maneuverable for me.

maybe $400 is a lot of money for a obsolescent bike, but i'd probably have to splash out 3 or 4 times as much for a new bike of equivalent utility and i'm not that enthusiastic about much that i see. the real question for me, though, is will i actually ride it enough to make the purchase worthwhile? it's gonna be stupid if it just sits in the bedroom gathering dust.
Last edited by dubkitty on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Jesus I'd hate riding something with a 72deg HTA. My road bike has a 70deg HTA and my mtb was 67deg.

The only brakes worse than canti's are ubrakes, and that was thankfully a quick fad in 87 and 88. Retrofitting disc brakes requires a framebuilder to add the mounts and bracing (your non-drive side stays will fold like a beer can if they aren't braced, but I know a few people who've had it done), though you can fit a new fork (you'll have to search the used market for a 26" fork, but a SID is always a good option for an XC fork). Plenty of people have gone disc-front and canti/v-brake rear.

Cable discs are often mushy and don't have much modulation. XTR v-brakes are pretty much the best cable brake ever made.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:11 am

I think that bike looks really cool, but as others have said, that seems like a lot of money. I think they might except a lower offer. If it's exactly what you're looking for, then it should be perfect. I'd love a bike like that for bikepacking and riding the mild trails that I currently ride, then I'd like a more shreddy, modern bike for the trails that I dream of riding and want to work towards.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am

well, i gave myself a good talking to and decided that i'm putting a second bike off for now...i haven't even ridden the Klein for awhile, and really have no business buying a new bike in Virginia in the middle of snow season anyway. i would like to get one maybe next year.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion