POLITICS: what have you done for us lately?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The most apolitical thread from the standpoint of politi

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am

The Dem House majority, and the even-ish split in the Senate means Dems have enough numbers to obstruct TumTum's dumbshit policies for another 2 years, which was the point of winning congressional control. I really doubt any of the Dems truly wanted to begin impeachment proceedings and all the work that entails, just to get Pence put in the chair.
Earning a 51-49 majority in the Senate would have been nice, but this is enough.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Sonaboy wrote:The Dem House majority, and the even-ish split in the Senate means Dems have enough numbers to obstruct TumTum's dumbshit policies for another 2 years, which was the point of winning congressional control. I really doubt any of the Dems truly wanted to begin impeachment proceedings and all the work that entails, just to get Pence put in the chair.
Earning a 51-49 majority in the Senate would have been nice, but this is enough.

No. Didn't Nancy tell you. They are going to end the hate and work together for a greater good :group:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm

i loves me some Orange Julius, too, even though i haven't seen a location in at least 20 years.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

dubkitty wrote:i loves me some Orange Julius, too, even though i haven't seen a location in at least 20 years.

Dairy Queen bought them. You can get Orange Julius there, if you can actually find a DQ.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:The problem with the way people are voting is largely anger based on both sides; based on being against things and not actually for things, they don't care until they are OUTRAGED! That is how you get all these high feels personalities which should not be infecting policy... :idk:

This is a really pervasive fiction that has largely been spread in an effort to undermine people's justifiable anger at the heinous shit that's being perpetrated and tolerated these days. Being outraged, or even just a little miffed, doesn't imply that a person's opinions lack substance. I'm outraged by the scapegoating of immigrants, the casual dismissal and/or dismantling of people's identities, the sorry/not-sorry empowering of hate groups, and the ever-looming threats to women from the anti-choice policies and perpetuation of rape culture embraced by modern republicans. Being against these things doesn't mean I don't stand for anything. In fact, it's pretty strong evidence to the contrary. And that energy absolutely should be put toward influencing policy. The notion that strong emotion implies irrationality is a relic of women's disenfranchisement in our cultural consciousness. It has no basis in fact.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm

#I'mWithBennRoe
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Benn Roe wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:The problem with the way people are voting is largely anger based on both sides; based on being against things and not actually for things, they don't care until they are OUTRAGED! That is how you get all these high feels personalities which should not be infecting policy... :idk:

This is a really pervasive fiction that has largely been spread in an effort to undermine people's justifiable anger at the heinous shit that's being perpetrated and tolerated these days. Being outraged, or even just a little miffed, doesn't imply that a person's opinions lack substance. I'm outraged by the scapegoating of immigrants, the casual dismissal and/or dismantling of people's identities, the sorry/not-sorry empowering of hate groups, and the ever-looming threats to women from the anti-choice policies and perpetuation of rape culture embraced by modern republicans. Being against these things doesn't mean I don't stand for anything. In fact, it's pretty strong evidence to the contrary. And that energy absolutely should be put toward influencing policy. The notion that strong emotion implies irrationality is a relic of women's disenfranchisement in our cultural consciousness. It has no basis in fact.

No. That fact that this is NOW a problem. Proves this. If people had thought ahead and paid attention they would not be crying over split milk. You are still not looking at this level headed. You are just listing things you are outraged over. These are not new issues. These are not new problems. Think about it.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby friendship » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Grievances are not legitimate unless you have had full awareness of the issue at hand since its origin? Being opposed to deleterious policy is less legitimate than supporting favorable policy? Am I understanding you correctly?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:No. That fact that this is NOW a problem. Proves this. If people had thought ahead and paid attention they would not be crying over split milk. You are still not looking at this level headed. You are just listing things you are outraged over. These are not new issues. These are not new problems. Think about it.

That's an assumption that doesn't follow from anything I said. I've been paying attention vocally for about as long as is reasonable for someone of my age. The internet has been well and thoroughly littered with my sociopolitical ramblings over the last twenty years, thank you very much. The fact that these issues are not new is not a reason to avoid anger, nor does it preclude level-headed anger. And holding the timing of people's political awakening against them might as well be the definition of counterproductive. I'm not trying to attack you here. I'm just responding to the growing popularity of demonizing "outrage culture" as a vehicle for undermining progressive thought and policy. Just like "political correctness" before it, this is a carefully-crafted right-wing propaganda campaign that's starting to dig its claws into left-leaning moderates, and it's dangerous.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Sonaboy wrote:if you can actually find a DQ.

Come to OH, there's almost as many DQ's as there are McD's.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 pm

jrfox92 wrote:

Considering how simple the drink is, there's really no need to drive anywhere to get it.

I was trained to make them in the early 80's at this dumb mall I worked at for five weeks before deciding I would have more fun but less money as a lifeguard.

In your blender:
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, not concentrate, it's too thick.
1/2 cup simple syrup (make it ahead of time using 1 cup of water & 1 cup of sugar, heated on the stove until dissolved)
1 tsp. dry milk powder (double that dose if you like it thicker)
1 tsp. egg white powder (it's in the bakery aisle)
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
Now fill the rest of the blender up with crushed! ice, not cubed

Dunzo.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Benn Roe wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:No. That fact that this is NOW a problem. Proves this. If people had thought ahead and paid attention they would not be crying over split milk. You are still not looking at this level headed. You are just listing things you are outraged over. These are not new issues. These are not new problems. Think about it.

That's an assumption that doesn't follow from anything I said. I've been paying attention vocally for about as long as is reasonable for someone of my age. The internet has been well and thoroughly littered with my sociopolitical ramblings over the last twenty years, thank you very much. The fact that these issues are not new is not a reason to avoid anger, nor does it preclude level-headed anger. And holding the timing of people's political awakening against them might as well be the definition of counterproductive. I'm not trying to attack you here. I'm just responding to the growing popularity of demonizing "outrage culture" as a vehicle for undermining progressive thought and policy. Just like "political correctness" before it, this is a carefully-crafted right-wing propaganda campaign that's starting to dig its claws into left-leaning moderates, and it's dangerous.

Just butting in here re : "I'm just responding to the growing popularity of demonizing "outrage culture" as a vehicle for undermining progressive thought and policy ..." You don't think outrage culture is real? I have also been on the internet for 20 years, generally not debating politics, but on different forums. I remember a certain one I was a member of for a long time, administered by decidely liberal and progressive-minded people from SF and Portland no less. More right-leaning people came in from time to time, and usually if they were interested in staying interesting debates ensued and nobody was mortally offended. I can't help but think that nowadays, here, those guys would be seen as just trolls and banned. Also I can't see something like the Pussy Melter controversy happening back then; granted there was no twitter. But look how that turned out, people were clamoring to buy the pedal when it came out just to own the object of the outrage.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Sonaboy wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:

Considering how simple the drink is, there's really no need to drive anywhere to get it.

I was trained to make them in the early 80's at this dumb mall I worked at for five weeks before deciding I would have more fun but less money as a lifeguard.

In your blender:
1/2 cup simple syrup (make it ahead of time using 1 cup of water & 1 cup of sugar, heated on the stove until dissolved)
1/2 tsp. of vanilla

Dunzo.

You're doing god's work.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Bassist_Diver wrote:
Sonaboy wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:

In your blender:
1/2 tsp. of vanilla

Dunzo.

You're doing god's work.

Yeah, I think that's the real reason I started this thread. Hoping someone'd eventually post an Orange Julius recipe. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Chankgeez wrote:

Yeah, I think that's the real reason I started this thread. Hoping someone'd eventually post an Orange Julius recipe. :snax:

It needed something positive, I think.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion