BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!



Moderator: Pladask

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby elefontpress » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Feedback: f*ck yeah!!!
elefontpress

User avatar
interested
interested
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Eivind August » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Pladask wrote:Had some leftover time on a trip recently and decided to revisit this thing. Haven't tested anything yet, but I think both the code and graphics look promising. Hopefully I'll be able to test it some time this Autumn. Below is the current graphic displayed with a gerber viewer (won't be so colorful). The red sections would be exposed FR4 backlit by LEDs.
Image

The system clock parameter doubles as a program selector when in momentary bypass. Additional footswitch to maximize the looping. Ditching the grain direction switch and instead offering both forward and backward granular delay/stretching. Random vibrato (MOD) to make it more lively. The core schematic for this thing is laughably simple so it was fun to see how much functionality I could squeeze into it without adding too much extra circuitry.

Feedback is welcome :)* :joy:

This looks cool, man! Like the new name too.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?


Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 pm
Location: Norway

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby cantremember » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:32 pm

This looks way cool! Is this gonna be for sale similar to how the last batch was sold?
cantremember

User avatar
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Az

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Seance » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Pladask wrote:some leftover time on a trip
Image

This trip looks interesting.

So the random vibrato (MOD) is only on the "wet" side of the signal (in terms of the MIX knob)?
Or is it jiggling the two about vis-a-vis each other to create the rando vibro?

I like the addition of a footswitch to maximize looping.

Looks good!
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Dowi » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 am

Random vibrato :yay:
Is the Mod knob set to add the vibrato to the mix, or to choose vibrato depth or speed?
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Pladask » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:20 am

MOD sets the random vibrato/tape flutter depth for the wet signal. I might experiment with vibrato on both the delay and direct signal, but there might not be enough instruction space for the EEPROM.

CLOCK can also be used to adjust the pitch of audio in the delay buffer (see Magpie Crystal Math for similar stuff). Both the wet and dry path will be completely digital (like the last version) so the CLOCK parameter will affect the dry signal too (sample rate resolution, high frequency content).

Availability:
Bit early to say, but I'll probably announce an internal signup for ILF and then sell any leftovers through the website afterwards (don't PM or email about pre-orders at this time)
Pladask

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:34 am

Pladask wrote:The red sections would be exposed FR4 backlit by LEDs.
Additional footswitch to maximize the looping.
Ditching the grain direction switch and instead offering both forward and backward granular delay/stretching.
Random vibrato (MOD) to make it more lively.
CLOCK can also be used to adjust the pitch of audio in the delay buffer (see Magpie Crystal Math for similar stuff). Both the wet and dry path will be completely digital (like the last version) so the CLOCK parameter will affect the dry signal too (sample rate resolution, high frequency content).

I like all of these things.
oldangelmidnight

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Are the Direction and Octave sections just indicator lights to show what is happening or are there going to be toggles there? Seems like it might be a little tight for stomping if that's the case but maybe not. Might be better in the 1590BB size box if its getting two foot switches. Stoked on the extra functionality!
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
whoismarykelly

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Pladask » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:26 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Are the Direction and Octave sections just indicator lights to show what is happening or are there going to be toggles there? Seems like it might be a little tight for stomping if that's the case but maybe not. Might be better in the 1590BB size box if its getting two foot switches. Stoked on the extra functionality!


Just LED indicators. The CLOCK pot would be used to switch the settings like this:

Pedal is active/engaged -> Hold down bypass switch -> Rotate CLOCK pot from ~mid to ~min -> Direction LEDs change (forward or backward)
Alternatively rotating CLOCK pot from ~mid to ~max would change the Octave LEDs (down, standard, up). Moving between mid - max - mid - max would cycle through the octave options.

I don't know if it will be too cumbersome or complicated. Will have to build the hardware and test how it "feels" in real life.
Pladask

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm

How's the sound going to compare to the original? Any low-pass filtering to minimize some of the harshness?
oldangelmidnight

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Pladask wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:Are the Direction and Octave sections just indicator lights to show what is happening or are there going to be toggles there? Seems like it might be a little tight for stomping if that's the case but maybe not. Might be better in the 1590BB size box if its getting two foot switches. Stoked on the extra functionality!


Just LED indicators. The CLOCK pot would be used to switch the settings like this:

Pedal is active/engaged -> Hold down bypass switch -> Rotate CLOCK pot from ~mid to ~min -> Direction LEDs change (forward or backward)
Alternatively rotating CLOCK pot from ~mid to ~max would change the Octave LEDs (down, standard, up). Moving between mid - max - mid - max would cycle through the octave options.

I don't know if it will be too cumbersome or complicated. Will have to build the hardware and test how it "feels" in real life.


That functionality sounds awesome - especially since it can be tempting to change programs in real time on the current iteration and forget that you scrap anything currently happening when you do that and it's a bit jarring. This new switching method would keep that from happening.
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
whoismarykelly

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Pladask » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 am

Low pass filter:
I could look into adding a static filter. I think there's space for it in the code, but would not want it to be regenerated for the looping parameter (infinity), only for the Regen parameter (plus symbol). We'll see..

Program switching method:
I agree. I kinda realized this and decided it wasnt strictly necessary to make the switching so accessible due to the buffer reset. The pedal will remember the current mode and bring it back next time the pedal is turned on.
Pladask

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby Dowi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 am

Pladask wrote:MOD sets the random vibrato/tape flutter depth for the wet signal. I might experiment with vibrato on both the delay and direct signal, but there might not be enough instruction space for the EEPROM.

CLOCK can also be used to adjust the pitch of audio in the delay buffer (see Magpie Crystal Math for similar stuff). Both the wet and dry path will be completely digital (like the last version) so the CLOCK parameter will affect the dry signal too (sample rate resolution, high frequency content).


That's cool, I love the sample rate knob on the Molecular Disruptor, so if this works in the same way I'm totally into it.
I also agree with oldangelmidnight, the addition of a LPF would certainly help taming the best when octaves become wild.

Pladask wrote: The pedal will remember the current mode and bring it back next time the pedal is turned on.


This would be super useful.
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby shikawkee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Sweet. Baby. Jebus!
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am
Location: Music City, USA

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:02 pm

I'll do a USA distribution group buy thing again if it works out :thumb: .. looks sweet :drool:
BetterOffShred

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.