· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Post a reply

Updating Romferd

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 am

I'm working on updating ROMFERD and would be interested in hearing your suggestions for new inclusions/changes/omissions

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkAhNEglhii/?taken-by=pladaskelektrisk

At the moment I have the following features planned:
* MIX & VOL knobs. Unity gain around noon
* Triangle wave modulation with RATE and DEPTH knobs
* EQ knob. Will either be a slightly resonant 2. pole low pass filter similar to TÅKEN or a hi/lo boost/cut control like the FABRIKAT.
* Feedback (FEED) knob. May remove the internal trimpot
* Selfmodulating FM (S.MOD). Will have a little more stink on tap than the previous version
* Delay time (CYCLE) knob that extends the max delay time ~95ms
* Internal DIP switches to reduce the input Z and add a -6dB pad (make it more line-level friendly)
TL;DR : I'm changing the toggles to knobs

Some thoughts:
* Do people prefer upright pedals? (FABRIKAT vs TÅKEN)
* I feel ROMFERD works well as a self-contained device, but I'm open to the idea of adding a CV/EXP parameter or an extra footswitch.

Let me know what ya think! :joy:

Re: Updating Romferd

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am

I personally turn my Tåken sideways just so I can adjust the time knob easily with my foot if that helps at all :idk: That being said, I'm usually a fan of upright pedals with top jacks.

Honestly, I like the Cycle switch more than I think I'd like a dedicated knob. Would be really cool if there were easier foot control of it or some sort of random switching mode to switch between the three values while playing off and on for a little bit more weirdness (actually that's pretty much my dream, a random cycle modulation knob that switches between the values more intensely the higher it is).

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 am

Upright pedals seem to work better for me on my pedal boards and yes, top jacks if possible.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm

I have Romferd and it's a lot of fun as-is.
I love the low pass filter on the TÅKEN and think it would be great with the Romferd. The tone control on the Fabrikat is good because it works well with all of the patches but I think the Romferd has a particular character that would suit the resonant filter well. Can you make it more resonant? Like, self-oscillating resonant? That would be amazing. I guess the thing I worry about is that if it has the same filter as Taken, they might be too similar.
More delay time will be fun.
I would love expression control over feedback. I like to be able to ride the edge of having it run away.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:47 am

publicfig wrote:Honestly, I like the Cycle switch more than I think I'd like a dedicated knob. Would be really cool if there were easier foot control of it or some sort of random switching mode to switch between the three values while playing off and on for a little bit more weirdness (actually that's pretty much my dream, a random cycle modulation knob that switches between the values more intensely the higher it is).

Great idea! I've had a lot of fun myself jumping between different cycle positions while the feedback is oscillating. The main reason I wish to replace the toggles with knobs is that they're less durable components. I'm now toying with something in the same realm as the knobs on the Thermea. A CYCLE knob with maybe 8 positions (normal pot) that can also be set by a random cycle length generator (microcontroller). Wouldn't add a lot of extra work/circuitry.

oldangelmidnight wrote:I have Romferd and it's a lot of fun as-is.
I love the low pass filter on the TÅKEN and think it would be great with the Romferd. The tone control on the Fabrikat is good because it works well with all of the patches but I think the Romferd has a particular character that would suit the resonant filter well. Can you make it more resonant? Like, self-oscillating resonant? That would be amazing. I guess the thing I worry about is that if it has the same filter as Taken, they might be too similar.

Can add an internal trimpot to adjust the amount of resonance/Q. You can make it self oscillate in a very abrasive/unpleasant way. You could probably also make it resonate with the feedback knob which would be more usable.

oldangelmidnight wrote:I would love expression control over feedback. I like to be able to ride the edge of having it run away.

If I flip the enclosure vertically I'd still have room for an expression jack for feedback control. Could probably just copy the EXP specific circuitry from my KNIV pedal. We'll see how it goes. The way I'm picturing this the FEED knob would set the max available feedback (toe position of your exp pedal).

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Expression preferable.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:12 pm

shikawkee wrote:Expression preferable.

Could you elaborate?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Pladask wrote:
shikawkee wrote:Expression preferable.

Could you elaborate?

Expression control of whatever parameters it's capable of actually, even if it's only one.
Makes it much more useful IMO.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Pladask wrote: I'm now toying with something in the same realm as the knobs on the Thermea. A CYCLE knob with maybe 8 positions (normal pot) that can also be set by a random cycle length generator (microcontroller). Wouldn't add a lot of extra work/circuitry.

Can add an internal trimpot to adjust the amount of resonance/Q. You can make it self oscillate in a very abrasive/unpleasant way. You could probably also make it resonate with the feedback knob which would be more usable.

If I flip the enclosure vertically I'd still have room for an expression jack for feedback control. Could probably just copy the EXP specific circuitry from my KNIV pedal. We'll see how it goes. The way I'm picturing this the FEED knob would set the max available feedback (toe position of your exp pedal).

I like it all.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 pm

I like the idea of being able to cycle through the delay settings as that makes for interesting jumps and voicing changes. I'd like to see the option for less delay time as well. Closer to flange delay times if possible.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input. The PT2399 is limited to minimum 30ms of delay so won't be able to go any lower than what I already have available. Wanna stick with that platform because of that juicy selfmodulation

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Pladask wrote:
publicfig wrote:Honestly, I like the Cycle switch more than I think I'd like a dedicated knob. Would be really cool if there were easier foot control of it or some sort of random switching mode to switch between the three values while playing off and on for a little bit more weirdness (actually that's pretty much my dream, a random cycle modulation knob that switches between the values more intensely the higher it is).

Great idea! I've had a lot of fun myself jumping between different cycle positions while the feedback is oscillating. The main reason I wish to replace the toggles with knobs is that they're less durable components. I'm now toying with something in the same realm as the knobs on the Thermea. A CYCLE knob with maybe 8 positions (normal pot) that can also be set by a random cycle length generator (microcontroller). Wouldn't add a lot of extra work/circuitry.

Yeah, this sounds cool as hell. I WANT IT.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 am

Update:
I've ordered a prototype PCB for the updated Romferd. The circuit is very similar to the original:
* TONE switch is replaced by a knob that sets the cut off frequency of a low pass filter. The filter resonance can be tuned by adjusting an internal trimpot.
* CYCLE switch is replaced by a knob that sets the delay time. As suggested in this thread the delay time is locked to step (4 steps). Minimum delay time remains the same as that's just how the PT2399 works.
* Added an expression jack for feedback adjustment. Haven't tested this yet.
* Top mounted jacks on an upright 1590BB (same size as before).

Hopefully the prototype works as intended and I'll be able to start production of a smaller batch in November.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 am

:!!!:

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Pladask wrote:Update:
I've ordered a prototype PCB for the updated Romferd. The circuit is very similar to the original:
* TONE switch is replaced by a knob that sets the cut off frequency of a low pass filter. The filter resonance can be tuned by adjusting an internal trimpot.
* CYCLE switch is replaced by a knob that sets the delay time. As suggested in this thread the delay time is locked to step (4 steps). Minimum delay time remains the same as that's just how the PT2399 works.
* Added an expression jack for feedback adjustment. Haven't tested this yet.
* Top mounted jacks on an upright 1590BB (same size as before).

Hopefully the prototype works as intended and I'll be able to start production of a smaller batch in November.

Will def be grabbing one of these in the new format!
Post a reply