The "Ask DRolo" Thread



Moderator: drolo

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby drolo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am

Chankgeez wrote:That never stopped anybody. :idk: :poke: :snax:


true :excellent:
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby Seance » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Who else has had a Drolo pedal impact their songwriting/sound-making?

While using the Stamme[n] and a couple other pedals I came up with a simple
four-note little motif. The effect of the Stamme[n] forced me to give it some
space and let the note-decay breathe (not my strong suit (I tend to embroider)).

Then one day this same little four-note motif popped into my head and I was
somehow able to visualize (mentally hear?) how two other different parts might
slot into and mesh with the original motif formed by those four-notes.

After a while the riffs and runs and pieces and motifs fell into the roughly coherent
yet mangled shape of a thing. This is that thing:
http://soundcloud.com/caesarshift/phosphene-ophelia-theme
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby drolo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:58 am

Seance wrote:Who else has had a Drolo pedal impact their songwriting/sound-making?

While using the Stamme[n] and a couple other pedals I came up with a simple
four-note little motif. The effect of the Stamme[n] forced me to give it some
space and let the note-decay breathe (not my strong suit (I tend to embroider)).

Then one day this same little four-note motif popped into my head and I was
somehow able to visualize (mentally hear?) how two other different parts might
slot into and mesh with the original motif formed by those four-notes.

After a while the riffs and runs and pieces and motifs fell into the roughly coherent
yet mangled shape of a thing. This is that thing:
http://soundcloud.com/caesarshift/phosphene-ophelia-theme


What a magnificent piece of music! Glad those little boxes are able to bend some inspirational paths to get you places. That's the whole point of these so it makes me extra happy :)
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby shikawkee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:35 am

Between the Mood, Stamme(n) and Molecular Compactor they have impacted everything I've recorded/played the last two years. Amazing devices. Endless creativity in those boxes. (Not to mention the Giant Hogweed which have saved me in the studio the last year when a fuzz is too much)
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am
Location: Music City, USA

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 am

shikawkee wrote: when a fuzz is too much)


:eek: :lol:

Which brings me to my next question:

Dear, DRolo,

When is a fuzz "too much"?
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
#cultofGreenRinger
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 36935
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am
Location: Ca$hadelphia

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby drolo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:24 am

Chankgeez wrote:
shikawkee wrote: when a fuzz is too much)


:eek: :lol:

Which brings me to my next question:

Dear, DRolo,

When is a fuzz "too much"?


When (fuzz * ds1 - fuzz * HM2) / 22$ = 1

shikawkee wrote:Between the Mood, Stamme(n) and Molecular Compactor they have impacted everything I've recorded/played the last two years. Amazing devices. Endless creativity in those boxes. (Not to mention the Giant Hogweed which have saved me in the studio the last year when a fuzz is too much)

:!!!:
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby shikawkee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 am

Chankgeez wrote:
shikawkee wrote: when a fuzz is too much)


:eek: :lol:

Which brings me to my next question:

Dear, DRolo,

When is a fuzz "too much"?


Fuzz is often too much. Except in trios or where there's just one guitar player. There, I said it. Heh.

The Giant Hogweed rips. In the very best way.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am
Location: Music City, USA

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 am

drolo wrote:What a magnificent piece of music! Glad those little boxes are able to bend some inspirational paths to get you places. That's the whole point of these so it makes me extra happy :)

Thanks, David!

It's always fun and inspiring when a pedal introduces you to the way in which the pedal likes to be played.
For the player it feels like a discovery but it is also like deciphering the design choices and mode of thought
of the pedal maker. Every tool is a conversation.

Regardless of whether it is a discovery or decipherment, the end result is that it makes me challenge my assumptions
and predispositions and approach things from a new angle. And making music is the most fun when it feels like a
constant discovery or productive decipherment/conversation.
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 am

shikawkee wrote:
The Giant Hogweed rips. In the very best way.

Would you say that the Giant Hogweed is "blistering"?
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: The "Ask DRolo" Thread

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:09 pm

shikawkee wrote:Fuzz is often too much. Except in trios or where there's just one guitar player. There, I said it. Heh.


:idk: EQ is your friend. :bear: :hug:
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
#cultofGreenRinger
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 36935
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am
Location: Ca$hadelphia

Previous

Return to drolo



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.