Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]



Moderator: drolo

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am

drolo wrote:- How important is the tap tempo function, especially if that function could be replaced with a reverse loop function?

Reverse loop seems more dynamic than tap tempo as a function. Seems like keeping either tap tempo or expression would
make sense? Depending? It all depends how all the pieces fit together. And of course the Stamme[n] already reflects
your thinking/design and does things in its own way. So... any changes you make are likely to continue that (good) trend

drolo wrote:- Would you give up the possibility to expression control the filter and pitch settings, have these controls as separate manual controls and make room for 2 new modes?

Depending on what these two modes are... no. I like how the expression control allows me to sweep filter/pitch while my
hands are on the guitar. In particular the pitch sweep allows me to move around the note and play along to it. If that was
on a separate manual control (knob) I would not be doing that as easily, and so most likely in the heat of the fray, wouldn't
at all. The large knob for toe-adjustments works in some scenarios, but for others it is a bit finicky and expression control
is preferable (for me) as it can be more precise and controllable.

drolo wrote:- What are your favorite and least favorite modes?

I have a v1 and wish that I had access to the Tape and Glitcholay modes. I love the Pitch Hold and Filter Hold, but use
all the hold modes. As for the sample modes, since the v1 has the ability of wet only or wet&dry, I only use the wet&dry
modes.

drolo wrote:- Any other thoughts?

I'm still loving the Stamme[n]. A reverse loop sounds exciting. The 2 new modes on the v2 are exciting (wish I had them)
and so I'm sure that any updates you make are going to bring something exciting and dynamic and new. Now that I have
an expression pedal I use that feature on the Stamme[n] a lot.
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 am

Seance wrote:Reverse loop seems more dynamic than tap tempo as a function. [...] And of course the Stamme[n] already reflects
your thinking/design

Weeeeell... Here I go tooting my own horn, but it was originally me who pleaded to David to make the Stammen and we worked together on how it would look/function (one knob for the effect, separate wet/dry, symbols instead of text, the name etc) , and the basis for that pedal from me was the tap tempo functionality, because no other sampler/glitch pedal had that. Basically a MASF Raptio on steroids with more pragmatic live functionality. :poke:

That being said, I'd love to see it evolve to incorporate more of David's ideas (the changes to V2 are all his ideas with only minor feedback from me after beta testing), and those changes were raaaaad. :!!!:

Back to the question. If I could ask for anything it would be longer sample time, but that means building it on an entirely different platform using different code and more expensive components. Still though, would be rad. :animal:
Last edited by UglyCasanova on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UglyCasanova

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11173
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby shikawkee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Oooooh, reverse loop! Yeah!!
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am
Location: Music City, USA

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby drolo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm

shikawkee wrote:
Oh no, I love the expression function. Big selling point to me. There's one or two modes I don't use. The filter for one but that's because I have other options and a Molecular Disruptor <g>.
Tap tempo for what I do isn't particularly relevant but I reckon lots of people need it. I don't think I've ever used FL or ST modes at all. Tape and swell are my favorites FWIW.

Frankly I don't think there's anything wrong with the Stamme(n), especially if you don't have a Molecular Disruptor or similar pedal but that shouldn't stop you messing around.


cantremember wrote:I use the filter, pitch and swell freeze with a expression pedal all the time! It's actually one of my favorite features of the pedal. I also really like the glitchdelay setting a lot. I'd be interested to hear what you have in mind for the 2 new modes but I honestly would have a hard time giving up the one I have now if the new version didn't have expression control.


I am not planning on getting rid of the expression input. But I am going to add a sample rate control that will allow to, on one side make sample sizes longer or shorter, but also to detune their pitch (+1 -1 oct) once a sample is looped/frozen. So that knob could kind of replace the current PT setting although not entirely, it would not go low down to silence and would not be controlled by the expression input.

And I thought I could add a filter knob that would do the same as on the FL mode, only globally for all modes, and also not expression controlled.

So that would free up 2 modes but the filter and pitch would not be expression controlled.

UglyCasanova wrote:I don't use the exp control. I mainly use tap tempo glitch, FL and ST. Basically, the exact opposite of shikawkee. :lol:


I almost regret asking these questions. I now still have the same doubts but they are shared and defended by many more people :D

But thanks for your input guys, it's really helpful!
davidrolo.com
drolo.bandcamp.com
shark tank!

Jwar wrote:There's other places outside of ILF?

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Dam[n]!

$harkToootth wrote:I want the TETSUO, THE IRON MAN board where I become the board.
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:06 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:
Seance wrote:Reverse loop seems more dynamic than tap tempo as a function. [...] And of course the Stamme[n] already reflects
your thinking/design

Weeeeell... Here I go tooting my own horn, but it was originally me who pleaded to David to make the Stammen and we worked together on how it would look/function (one knob for the effect, separate wet/dry, symbols instead of text, the name etc) , and the basis for that pedal from me was the tap tempo functionality, because no other sampler/glitch pedal had that. Basically a MASF Raptio on steroids with more pragmatic live functionality. :poke:

Forgive me for not mentioning your input/thinking/design.
No offense intended.

drolo wrote:I almost regret asking these questions. I now still have the same doubts but they are shared and defended by many more people :D

But thanks for your input guys, it's really helpful!


I do think that the input you are going to receive is going to be in all directions based on what people
are drawn to with the Stamme[n] and how they use it. There probably is not going to be a universally accepted
consensus on how/what to expand and what/how to curtail or edit functionality. If reactions go in all directions,
that means people are finding all sorts of different and equally powerful ways to use your pedal.

I like the mix of options on the Stamme[n], including expression pedal, tap temp, large knob. Each has its appeal
and is highly useful for certain instances or approaches. Since you're making it and updating it, I feel pretty confident
that people who are into the pedal will be into the adaptations and updates. Follow your gut.
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby adamajah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm

I think the Stamme[n] was/is sort of an instant classic. Don't mess with it! :P

Dumb question: Why not make a different pedal altogether, even if it's based on the Stamme[n] platform? So[n] of Stamme[n].

The modes I use most are:
1 Filter Hold (Yes with exp pedal!)
2 Random Tempo
3 Glitcholay
4 Swell Hold (Yes with exp pedal!)

I've never used the tap tempo function, though I can see its usefulness/uniqueness.

Whatever you do I know it'll be rad.
Last edited by adamajah on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamajah

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby drolo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Seance wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:
Seance wrote:Reverse loop seems more dynamic than tap tempo as a function. [...] And of course the Stamme[n] already reflects
your thinking/design

Weeeeell... Here I go tooting my own horn, but it was originally me who pleaded to David to make the Stammen and we worked together on how it would look/function (one knob for the effect, separate wet/dry, symbols instead of text, the name etc) , and the basis for that pedal from me was the tap tempo functionality, because no other sampler/glitch pedal had that. Basically a MASF Raptio on steroids with more pragmatic live functionality. :poke:

Forgive me for not mentioning your input/thinking/design.
No offense intended.

drolo wrote:I almost regret asking these questions. I now still have the same doubts but they are shared and defended by many more people :D

But thanks for your input guys, it's really helpful!


I do think that the input you are going to receive is going to be in all directions based on what people
are drawn to with the Stamme[n] and how they use it. There probably is not going to be a universally accepted
consensus on how/what to expand and what/how to curtail or edit functionality. If reactions go in all directions,
that means people are finding all sorts of different and equally powerful ways to use your pedal.

I like the mix of options on the Stamme[n], including expression pedal, tap temp, large knob. Each has its appeal
and is highly useful for certain instances or approaches. Since you're making it and updating it, I feel pretty confident
that people who are into the pedal will be into the adaptations and updates. Follow your gut.


Sorry guys, strangely had not seen your replies on this page when I replied earlier, did not mean to ignore your comments :)

To Sean: The replies and opinions are indeed all over the place, but I was kind of expecting that. Rather than give me definitive directions it is input that will add to my own reflections and hopefully eventually result in decisions that I'm happy with.

To Kent: the tap tempo is really a great feature, quite a few people have confirmed using it and I would be sad to see it go. I just feel like the way it is implemented now, it is just lacking a bit, being triggered on release etc. Partly because of technical limitations, partly because of my own limitations. To make real sense I'd need to take that functionality out of the FV1 code (where it's currently shoehorned now) and do it properly on an external microcontroller, which is totally feasible. I feel that it would at least need a control for subdivisions to really be even more pragmatically functional :) But that means yet another knob, more complexity etc so I have not decided yet which way I will go.

The variable sample rate control would allow to stretch the sample time to 2 secs (could stretch more but that would become really lo-fi)
There are other platforms as you mentioned but it's a quite big leap in terms of complexity and financial resources, so for now I will stick to the one I use.

Again, thank you all, this is really very helpful. I have been debating in my head over various options for weeks/months and could not really make up my mind. Even though there is no consensus at all, as was to be expected, things are starting to get a bit clearer in my head :)
davidrolo.com
drolo.bandcamp.com
shark tank!

Jwar wrote:There's other places outside of ILF?

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Dam[n]!

$harkToootth wrote:I want the TETSUO, THE IRON MAN board where I become the board.
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby drolo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm

adamajah wrote:I think the Stamme[n] was/is sort of an instant classic. Don't mess with it! :P

Dumb question: Why not make a different pedal altogether, even if it's based on the Stamme[n] platform. So[n] of Stamme[n].

The modes I use most are:
1 Filter Hold (Yes with exp pedal!)
2 Random Tempo
3 Glitcholay
4 Swell Hold (Yes with exp pedal!)

I've never used the tap tempo function, though I can see its usefulness/uniqueness.

Whatever you do I know it'll be rad.


Yeah I guess that's the thing when you get carried away in the sea of possibilities ...

BTW I completely missed to mention it even though it was actually the only thing I was going to change for sure, initially ...
The left footswitch will get the same momentary/latching functionality as the bypass switch, with its own indicator LED.
I feel like that's a quick win no brainer :) perhaps I should just do that :lol:
davidrolo.com
drolo.bandcamp.com
shark tank!

Jwar wrote:There's other places outside of ILF?

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Dam[n]!

$harkToootth wrote:I want the TETSUO, THE IRON MAN board where I become the board.
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

I already have a V2, so I have a tap tempo and the other modes I use, so I am actually interested in a new take on the effect. I just wanted to say what I used the most. How many Stammens have you made so far?
UglyCasanova

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11173
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby Seance » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 am

drolo wrote: I have been debating in my head over various options for weeks/months and could not really make up my mind. Even though there is no consensus at all, as was to be expected, things are starting to get a bit clearer in my head :)


If you are faced with an enigma where you can't quite decide how best to approach
a few equally plausible and desirable outcomes, sometimes it is helpful to write out
those options on pieces of paper and then blindly pull a single piece of paper from a hat.

But don't just simply do what the paper indicates. Pay attention to your immediate
reaction to what the paper indicates. It isn't about simply giving over agency to fate,
because if you have a strong and visceral reaction upon arriving at that one option,
then the act of giving up your agency and allowing "fate" to indicate the way forward
sometimes releases a subconscious response that was there all along but perhaps was
too quiet in the flow of all your myriad other thoughts and weighed options and
debated potentials to be properly heard.

I like the idea of the LED indicator and momentary/latching function for both switches.
Seance

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada.

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby drolo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am

UglyCasanova wrote:I already have a V2, so I have a tap tempo and the other modes I use, so I am actually interested in a new take on the effect. I just wanted to say what I used the most. How many Stammens have you made so far?


Well it would be the 3rd major version (unless you meant how many actual units I produced ?)
I'll certainly hit you up when I have something more concrete on the table :hello:

Seance wrote:
If you are faced with an enigma where you can't quite decide how best to approach
a few equally plausible and desirable outcomes, sometimes it is helpful to write out
those options on pieces of paper and then blindly pull a single piece of paper from a hat.

But don't just simply do what the paper indicates. Pay attention to your immediate
reaction to what the paper indicates. It isn't about simply giving over agency to fate,
because if you have a strong and visceral reaction upon arriving at that one option,
then the act of giving up your agency and allowing "fate" to indicate the way forward
sometimes releases a subconscious response that was there all along but perhaps was
too quiet in the flow of all your myriad other thoughts and weighed options and
debated potentials to be properly heard.

I like the idea of the LED indicator and momentary/latching function for both switches.


I have been looking into similar solutions lately, for various things. Even looked at I ching lately, inspired by John Cage, as a way to randomize things up but a bit but still maintain a way to control it (to avoid ending up building a toaster instead of a pedal ...)
davidrolo.com
drolo.bandcamp.com
shark tank!

Jwar wrote:There's other places outside of ILF?

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Dam[n]!

$harkToootth wrote:I want the TETSUO, THE IRON MAN board where I become the board.
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby adamajah » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Belgian waffles reheat nicely in toasters
adamajah

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I mentioned this on IG but tap tempo is one of the things that makes Stammen unique in the marketplace. There is no other pedal available now that offers tap tempo in this type of effect. It's bizarre to me but here we are. That said, when I had a V1 Stammen I didn't think the tap tempo registered consistently and there wasn't an indicator of how fast it was going. I didn't know it was registering on the release so that may be part of the issue. IMO nothing should ever happen on the release with a pedal. My understanding is the FV1 is rather crappy when it comes to making tap tempo work so if you could get another micro in there to handle that function and the matching tempo LED that would be absolutely huge.

Other than that my favorite effect on the Stammen is the broken cable program. Another Stammen exclusive feature and really cool for adding character to layers of a loop.

Fantasyland idea - look at how the S3N Super Flutter worked where one switch triggered the effect and the other switch would either slow down or speed up the effect depending on knob setting. If the effect was already triggering an up/down action, then the second switch reverses that action. Its incredibly dynamic and inspiring and nothing else does that.
whoismarykelly

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Demo by my internet bud, Devon! Peeeeeeeeeeeep! :zen:

UglyCasanova

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11173
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Question[s] for [future?] stamme[n] user[s]

Postby drolo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:16 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:I mentioned this on IG but tap tempo is one of the things that makes Stammen unique in the marketplace. There is no other pedal available now that offers tap tempo in this type of effect. It's bizarre to me but here we are. That said, when I had a V1 Stammen I didn't think the tap tempo registered consistently and there wasn't an indicator of how fast it was going. I didn't know it was registering on the release so that may be part of the issue. IMO nothing should ever happen on the release with a pedal. My understanding is the FV1 is rather crappy when it comes to making tap tempo work so if you could get another micro in there to handle that function and the matching tempo LED that would be absolutely huge.

Other than that my favorite effect on the Stammen is the broken cable program. Another Stammen exclusive feature and really cool for adding character to layers of a loop.

Fantasyland idea - look at how the S3N Super Flutter worked where one switch triggered the effect and the other switch would either slow down or speed up the effect depending on knob setting. If the effect was already triggering an up/down action, then the second switch reverses that action. Its incredibly dynamic and inspiring and nothing else does that.

Thanks for that insight Dave!
What you are saying about the FV1 handling the tap tempo is correct. It works but it's not really optimal. The broken cable setting was going to stay for sure and having witnessed Alan Sparhawk use that setting live right after I handed him a stammen the other day just confirmed it (hoohoo namedropping :cool: )

UglyCasanova wrote:Demo by my internet bud, Devon! Peeeeeeeeeeeep! :zen:



right? I was not expecting him to do something, let alone so elaborate :)
davidrolo.com
drolo.bandcamp.com
shark tank!

Jwar wrote:There's other places outside of ILF?

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Dam[n]!

$harkToootth wrote:I want the TETSUO, THE IRON MAN board where I become the board.
drolo

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: South Pole of Belgium

PreviousNext

Return to drolo



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.