The RMA drawing board/etc.

Moderator: crochambeau

Re: The RMA drawing board/etc.

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:59 am

GaHahaha oh man.

I'm sorry this process is taking longer than I intended. Story of my life I suppose.

I've been doing a little monolithic opamp design on the side as a palette cleanser (only so far as to remove the "WHAT THE FUCK?!" levels of self reflection). With a nod to breaking bread with the DIY crowd I've also isolated the noise source section of the Crustacean for white noise generation needs (wholly discrete, but tame by comparison). The Stone Splitter might be the last fundamentally discrete big build for a while. I say fundamentally because it employs 4000 series CMOS switching (those come in monolithic packages and I'm sure some purists would look at a conjoined P and N channel mosfet as straying from the discrete), but aside from those paths it's a jungle of connections/etc.

I know full well that I'm going to just turn around and dive right back into the stupid end of the marsh. Like that science fiction story about deep spacers needing a mind implant to think the next destination was HOME so they'd suffer through another tour of duty. I can't remember the collection/author/name; something mid-century though.

Anyway, more soon!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:27 am

crochambeau wrote:I know full well that I'm going to just turn around and dive right back into the stupid end of the marsh. Like that science fiction story about deep spacers needing a mind implant to think the next destination was HOME so they'd suffer through another tour of duty. I can't remember the collection/author/name; something mid-century though.

I'm not familiar but that sounds like Robert A. Heinlein territory. I'll look into it.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:05 pm

me trying my best to save my money by not looking at other gear as i wait for the RMA preamp to the disdain of others around me

good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:26 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
crochambeau wrote:Like that science fiction story about deep spacers needing a mind implant to think the next destination was HOME so they'd suffer through another tour of duty. I can't remember the collection/author/name; something mid-century though.

I'm not familiar but that sounds like Robert A. Heinlein territory. I'll look into it.

Found it. The story is "Condition of Employment" by Clifford Simak, my copy sits in the collection "All the Traps of Earth".

ibarakishi wrote:me trying my best to save my money by not looking at other gear as i wait for the RMA preamp to the disdain of others around me

Yes, yes, this too!

I plan on huffing a bunch of solder fumes today, so hopefully I'll have one less goblin pulling my hair by day's end.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Never » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 pm

crochambeau wrote: I have this stupid thing where I want something to perform some fucked up function "well", while also performing normal functions in a fucked up manner.

Lol shit, that's what I want every piece of gear to be like!

Hope things are progressing smoothly -- I've been wanting to own something Rochambeau for a while now, partly because I remember some of your posts on the old noise forum where you were doing things that seemed crazy to me (I think one was converting old medical equipment into sound devices?)
Never

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 am

Never wrote:(I think one was converting old medical equipment into sound devices?)

Yeah, that's me. Huge tubed circuits are great inspiration, but I'm still striving to meet that benchmark within the transistor framework hahaha

I slow waaaaay down over the winter, but things are progressing. I appreciate the interest!

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:04 am

Any updates? :drool:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 am

BetterOffShred wrote:Any updates? :drool:

Oh man, no updates beyond me trying to pull my head out of my ass. This year and its "social climate" is working to suck the wind out of my sails. Been having troubles maintaining focus on productivity (outside of maintaining quality of life stuff like dealing with cars/etc.) and balancing my intended designs and thoughts with some semblance of reality.

My perception of quality is being problematic, some days I will be overly critical of a design to a detrimental point. I'm trying to set up a cleaner/easier studio situation so actually road testing stuff is under better conditions or easier (plus that blows the cobwebs out of my head).

I do have have some "new" stuff in process, however.

One thing I built is a "super diode" (essentially an op-amp doing servo duty with a diode to "correct out" the voltage drop) based ring modulator. The unit I built acts, differently. I was able to null the carrier out completely (I say that without playing it on a big system, mind you) and the standard input brings the carrier in to follow its envelope, but actual mixing of the two sources seemed additive as opposed to multiplicative. I plan on experimenting with different opamp topologies in this application. As is, it's kind of cool as a sub-function, but not something to blow your socks off. It needs more run time before seeing the light of day.

I'm somewhat fixated on through zero VCA applications in something somewhat related.

I just don't want to be revealing a bunch of neat shit that may take me years to process. :picard:

I should have the Stone Splitter sorted shortly, and I've caved from pressure and am re-drawing the Dirty Doper without a bunch of embellishments that were clogging my gears.

Thanks for touching base!

(If all goes well I'll have a new thread before long)

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 pm

Well that all sounds pretty rad. I'm definitely in for a splitter and a doper. Been really looking forward to it!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 am

What's happening with this stone splitter I keep hearing about? :drool: any plans to sell a batch of those in the near future? :love:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:What's happening with this stone splitter I keep hearing about? :drool: any plans to sell a batch of those in the near future? :love:

I just shipped the first Stone Splitter today, but I have one more practically year old inquiry to address before any actually "go live". I am looking at two partially populated PCBs as I type this, so they will surface soon. It's a complex build (see attached) and so pricing isn't going to be terribly competitive with respect to other octave divider pedals.

RMA199guts.JPG

Please note, that picture depicts a floating LED wire while I point to a design flaw I was ironing out on this build (LED current through the 4066 was causing issues with heating); that face mounted jack is also a non-standard request. Here's some terrible cinematography complete with audio sync issues and low levels you can enjoy for the next 14 minutes while digesting the fact that I plan on asking $385 plus shipping for these things.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm

:rock:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Right on man. Well I'll take one when they are ready :thumb:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 pm

really sounds fantastically gnarly :drool:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:20 am

crochambeau wrote:Here's some terrible cinematography complete with audio sync issues and low levels you can enjoy for the next 14 minutes while digesting the fact that I plan on asking $385 plus shipping for these things.

I mean, I'm listening to this now, and it sounds excellent. Definitely worth one third of a certain automated reverb to my ears. :joy: What's the sound source in this vid?
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus