The RMA drawing board/etc.

Moderator: crochambeau

The RMA drawing board/etc.

Postby crochambeau » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:58 am

I haven't updated stuff in a while, there's reason for that. First, a couple things:

Resolved!

Okay, I don't like delving into the drawing board a whole lot, as my methodology invites HUGE DELAYS as I try to process multiple projects, phasing of bringing those ideas into reality and not be a complete dick of a dad, but - business over the summer has been fairly miserable and I feel something needs to shift. So, before I employ a few ideas that I consider potentially risky, I'll just chat about what's going on in hopes that potential discussion will result in meeting a wider swath of needs and maybe some curious sales.

So, here's what I'm working on:

RMA Polybius. The Polybius is at heart a classic transformer coupled diode ring modulation stage; this core stage will implement non-standard diode applications and possibly an adjustable DC function that can port to external control. The core ring mod is to be fed by discrete (make no mistake) transistor VCAs, on both inputs and the output, that can themselves run into modulation range, and either be latched to a common sub-reference (DC to AC) or set apart to further manipulate the signal. The input will enjoy a side chain including an octave divider that can be bused to CV reference points mentioned above. The carrier oscillator is currently an unresolved circuit, being that I aim to meet the following design criteria:
Discrete topology
CV adjustable frequency
Semi-soft sync to input signal or division thereof
Manipulation of waveform
Naturally on board carrier will be interruptible with external input, though still available for lateral application to external modulation stages.

I invite discussion on this one, but it's been a motherfucker so far and I'm considering going clean slate on it and redesigning post bipolar charge pump, but I don't want to go "cost is no concern" on it for obvious reasons.

RMA Latch. This is purely a utility circuit. In the "Latch" (name not 100% settled), there is a single input (output) feeding a CMOS (4000 series) switch routing to two outputs (inputs). Switching for the stand alone build is to be a single, solid touch point to toggle from one state to the other - though at this point I am not sure it will be responsive to the bottom of a shoe. Additional modes through which switching is accomplished will include a variable frequency timer, and the input (or otherwise defined) signal itself.

The latter function above specified, that of trigger rate being defined by signal input (or a division thereof), is the basis for the RMA Chimera; which will switch between two independent circuits (or sub-circuits/functions) at a rate defined by the input signal alone.

Additionally I'll be building out an outboard tube powered spring reverb soon, to replace the one I sold to fund tooling. Fundamental to the design is multiple outputs with separate mix controls, though the possibility of adding in a balanced XLR output post transformer phase inverter (to feed either console in a padded mode, or direct slave power amp) is an option.

This is a very partial list, touching on the few of the projects that are closest to completion. Apologies on the long read! I had like another five pages in mind, but I'm looking at this and think it's too much for the times. hah ha a..
Last edited by crochambeau on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: The RMA drawing board/etc.

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:01 am

I'm very interested in your take on a spring reverb (clips of the old one??), and you should talk with lord galavar about that ring mod before chucking it in the bin. I'm not overly technical or knowledgeable when it comes to the subject of ring mods, but for what I could understand that shit sounds tight yo! :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:11 am

crochambeau wrote:I haven't updated stuff in a while, there's reason for that. First, a couple things:

1) I realize Fuzzrociouspedals is currently listed as the moderator on the RMA sub-forum. I have no reason to believe those folks are anything less than wholly upstanding/etc (that means I think these people are probably "just super", in case my thought to wordsmithery function is fucked - I've even watched the documentary video, so I have SOMETHING to go on), but I want to be very clear that there is NO AFFILIATION between RMA & Fuzzrocious whatsoever. None. I believe the moderator migration was based in my request to allow any registered user to start a thread in this forum, and frankly once that aim was reached I opted to be satisfied, regardless of form. Please let me know if there are issues or confusion stemming from this.

I definitely can't post new threads in your forum duder!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:38 am

goroth wrote:
crochambeau wrote:I haven't updated stuff in a while, there's reason for that. First, a couple things:

1) I realize Fuzzrociouspedals is currently listed as the moderator on the RMA sub-forum. I have no reason to believe those folks are anything less than wholly upstanding/etc (that means I think these people are probably "just super", in case my thought to wordsmithery function is fucked - I've even watched the documentary video, so I have SOMETHING to go on), but I want to be very clear that there is NO AFFILIATION between RMA & Fuzzrocious whatsoever. None. I believe the moderator migration was based in my request to allow any registered user to start a thread in this forum, and frankly once that aim was reached I opted to be satisfied, regardless of form. Please let me know if there are issues or confusion stemming from this.

I definitely can't post new threads in your forum duder!

Neither can I. I sense a "hostile takeover" or something. :idk:

Other than that, I am excite about new RMAs. Ring mods are always lovely. :love: :snax:

(Also, you should build an awesome multi-delay pedal called the "HUGE DELAYS" :poke: )
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 am

goroth wrote:I definitely can't post new threads in your forum duder!

Well fuck. Perpetual downgrade I suppose. I guess having the forum visible is an upgrade from what it was, haven't had a stellar shark tank experience so far.

Chankgeez wrote:I sense a "hostile takeover" or something. :idk:

Hahaha, that won't happen. Making me mad only makes me more powerful. :lol:

UglyCasanova wrote:I'm very interested in your take on a spring reverb (clips of the old one??), and you should talk with lord galavar about that ring mod before chucking it in the bin. I'm not overly technical or knowledgeable when it comes to the subject of ring mods, but for what I could understand that shit sounds tight yo! :joy:

Definitely not chucking it in the bin, just.. -might make a decision that will combine easier on me & more expensive build. It's in the dev hell that the Dirty Doper was in when I ran the presale. At least I'm not asking money for it yet!

The reverb was nothing special, an EL84 driven spring. I guess it did have interesting stuff at the extreme ends, but at the time it didn't merit a demo reel. I'll rectify that this go around.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:44 pm

How about making a real spring reverb with expression controls which would rock the arms of the spring from side to side, ranging from no rocking at the heel and really quickly in toe position? Like a little engine... Basically, an expression-controlled vibrator. :lol:

It sounded cool in my head. Bet it would make some killer droning sounds at lower intensities.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Do it with a Lego cam, UC.

More RMA is always a good thing. Every device and conversation has exceeded expectations.

Looking forward to the new stuff or at least seeing the process and end results.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fuzzrociouspedals » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 pm

I'll contact Tom. I don't know why I am a mod here, but I didn't request to be one. I'll see if Tom can sort this out for you.
[b]FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS: http://www.fuzzrociouspedals.com[b]
Fuzzrociouspedals

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:51 pm

^ pretends he's not teaching his children the phrase "all your apparatus are belong to us" :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

All I can hear is the WOOO that human Bender made, hahahaha.

Thanks again Ryan!

I guess now that I've checked in I'll update my status regarding my reverb & the Polybius: currently the plan is a somewhat typical "hi-fi" tube front end which will pass through a bass/treble tone stack before feeding a 6BQ5/EL84 single ended output. The output will drive two separate pans, and include a "clean" direct output tap to provide a padded & reverb free post amplifier output. Each pan will feed a separate mix/tone control pair and output jack, but the two pans will sum to a single jack when the second output is not plugged in. I'll probably find a way to switch the "clean" side of the mix control to either a preamp cathode follower (ala Fender 6G15) or the aforementioned post amp line out.

I figure that with a bass treble stack at the driving amplifier, the nature of the "dwell" can be sculpted to tolerate more aggressive pedal stacks without turning to shit.

All this said, I'm designing this to a feature set and not a price point, so I have a hunch it won't be a very competitive product. CV control et al will wait out some tube/transistor hybrid stuff that's been lodged in the brain for a while now.

The Polybius has gone complete rabbit hole on me, and time will tell when it sees the light of day. I'm also treating this one as a feature instead of budget focused project, which means that since I cannot seriously rely on either of the aforementioned projects to support the business I need to cough up some budget based builds to infill. Tons of stuff on that drawing board, but I've done enough open mouth insert foot for today.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:51 pm

So a good friend of mine has pushed me into a pit lined with AVR microcontrollers and goddamn C programming language. DOOOOOOM

If I don't come up for air soon, please send some divers and a body bag.

PS - signal path will remain wholly analog, it's just the supporting circuitry that will be nuancively fucked by a band of rabid apes.

There's a word that has two google hits, it has already begun. Run!

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby doommeow » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:09 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Basically, an expression-controlled vibrator. :lol:

Such a thing more or less already exists

crochambeau wrote:So a good friend of mine has pushed me into a pit lined with AVR microcontrollers and goddamn C programming language. DOOOOOOM

If I don't come up for air soon, please send some divers and a body bag.

PS - signal path will remain wholly analog, it's just the supporting circuitry that will be nuancively fucked by a band of rabid apes.

There's a word that has two google hits, it has already begun. Run!

Rabid digital apes? Awesome. Sounds like what I wanted Disney World to be.

Gotta get me a Tetanus and Doper one of these days.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:33 am

I just wanted to stop in and say MY BONER!!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby FuzzHugger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

Re: mod permissions...sometimes when I set up a Shark Tank forum, I copy permissions from another Shark Tank--that way, I don't have to slog through as much set-up work--and then I correct moderator permissions. So it looks like in this case I didn't correct the moderator permissions. Just a simple oversight, no harm done. But if I'm not notified by PM or email (which Fuzzrocious just did), I'll never know about little glitches like this. I'll be correcting that now.

As for other users being allowed to start threads, I'm happy to edit Shark Tank permissions...but I can't find any PM or email request for me to do this. ;) :hug: Luckily, I stumbled in here thanks to Fuzzrocious and I'll make that change to the RMA forum. :thumb:
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby crochambeau » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:54 pm

You're awesome Tom! Thanks

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus