RMA Dirty Doper



Moderator: crochambeau

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Jesus Was a Robot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 am

I would like to know as well, but I've been too lazy to order the cable. LOL.

The second input and output though make it like a drone machine dude. It's fucking CRAZY.
"My boner"

-Jwar

"You may caress my harem of large velvety hammers any time".

- The Velvet Hammer

"#I'mwithJwar"

-D.O.S.

"Also this thread is now on page 2399, and the pt2399 is the most used delay chip for most dirty delays. Coincidence? therefore 9/11".

-multi_s

"The only thing I can muster after reading this thread:

Thanks Obama"

-raj007
Jesus Was a Robot

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 15330
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Question w/r/t CV on the first run. How does it effect the circuit?


The concept with the Dirty Doper CV is: the voltage powering the entire circuit is directed by the CV voltage, so in a sense it acts somewhat like a variable starve.

As stated before, it's pretty rough hewn as far as circuitry goes, and does respond better to an "AC" audio signal than a DC signal (at this point in time). If you're hooking it up to a synth and feeding it DC CV, it's going to do very little from 0-3 volts, then it'll start to creak into life somewhere in the 3-5 zone. After 5 volts you should have something, and it will change the nature of the way the circuit sounds, though not to a startling "filter sweep" type degree. I think the sweet spot with it is the relatively narrow range between waking the circuit up and bottoming it out, but as I stand here and type this I do not have one on hand to reaffirm my impression.

The CV support is the one aspect of that circuit that I'd consider still in development. I'm currently working on VCA type stuff, (though it's anyone's guess how long this will take - since my aim is to do it in a discrete topology, not with some fucking OTA that will scuttle my gain scheduling) which will be able to be wedged into the existing design as a sort of parasite circuit. In all honesty, aforementioned VCA would not be a standard offering on it, just another option for hot-rodding.

Regarding connectivity, would you guys prefer a different type of connector as standard? The 4 mm banana is really based in my own preference, and should probably only direct final design to a somewhat limited degree... though, hypothetically, if I build something with numerous CV functions a cluster of banana are probably going to be better on space.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:41 pm

jwar wrote:I would like to know as well, but I've been too lazy to order the cable. LOL.

The second input and output though make it like a drone machine dude. It's fucking CRAZY.


:thumb: Glad you like that utility! It was a hard decision to eliminate that on the Mudlark.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Jesus Was a Robot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:53 am

crochambeau wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Question w/r/t CV on the first run. How does it effect the circuit?


The concept with the Dirty Doper CV is: the voltage powering the entire circuit is directed by the CV voltage, so in a sense it acts somewhat like a variable starve.

As stated before, it's pretty rough hewn as far as circuitry goes, and does respond better to an "AC" audio signal than a DC signal (at this point in time). If you're hooking it up to a synth and feeding it DC CV, it's going to do very little from 0-3 volts, then it'll start to creak into life somewhere in the 3-5 zone. After 5 volts you should have something, and it will change the nature of the way the circuit sounds, though not to a startling "filter sweep" type degree. I think the sweet spot with it is the relatively narrow range between waking the circuit up and bottoming it out, but as I stand here and type this I do not have one on hand to reaffirm my impression.

The CV support is the one aspect of that circuit that I'd consider still in development. I'm currently working on VCA type stuff, (though it's anyone's guess how long this will take - since my aim is to do it in a discrete topology, not with some fucking OTA that will scuttle my gain scheduling) which will be able to be wedged into the existing design as a sort of parasite circuit. In all honesty, aforementioned VCA would not be a standard offering on it, just another option for hot-rodding.

Regarding connectivity, would you guys prefer a different type of connector as standard? The 4 mm banana is really based in my own preference, and should probably only direct final design to a somewhat limited degree... though, hypothetically, if I build something with numerous CV functions a cluster of banana are probably going to be better on space.



So mine has two connections. Does that mean I can plug one into the other???

I'd love to see a patch bay type deal on one of these with the banana cables. Something that really switches up the tone or causes it to react crazy with different connections. I played around with it and a low pass filter and it's brilliant that way! Maybe even adding a low pass would be cool as shit dude.

It's pretty great. I show my brother the pedal who isn't even into them, and he thought it was cool as shit. :)
"My boner"

-Jwar

"You may caress my harem of large velvety hammers any time".

- The Velvet Hammer

"#I'mwithJwar"

-D.O.S.

"Also this thread is now on page 2399, and the pt2399 is the most used delay chip for most dirty delays. Coincidence? therefore 9/11".

-multi_s

"The only thing I can muster after reading this thread:

Thanks Obama"

-raj007
Jesus Was a Robot

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 15330
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:04 am

The black banana plug is ground (so it can meaningfully connect with external devices) and the red banana plug is the CV, connecting them to each other will just turn the power off.

A banana patch section on future designs would be fun, that could do away with the potentially confusing ground reference. I do have a synth in the works, a patch section would make more sense on something like that.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 pm

I've settled on a drill plot on the 5x7 inch dirty doper shell, and I like it enough that it's now standard. The other configurations are only on request.

Image

Pairs nicely with the tetanus booster (and mudlark) shell dimension. Looking at a few more I need to fill and list, let the party begin!

Image
Last edited by crochambeau on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Chankgeez » Wed May 18, 2016 9:11 am

:love:
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 30582
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby D.o.S. » Fri May 20, 2016 10:47 am

Yeah if you ever have the chance to pick one of these up I think you should definitely do it. Got some more non-guitar Doper stuff planned for today, will upload clips in this thread if that's cool?
NSFW: show
for easy reference:
Image

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
Olin wrote: I'm at work 100% of the time I want to go buy beer and it's starting to get pretty emotional.

friendship wrote:If the market value of your pedals isn't plainly audible to you then you must not hear very well.
D.o.S.

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 27314
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Ewe-Kay

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Fri May 20, 2016 11:57 am

D.o.S. wrote:Yeah if you ever have the chance to pick one of these up I think you should definitely do it. Got some more non-guitar Doper stuff planned for today, will upload clips in this thread if that's cool?


:thumb:

Absolutely cool, please do! Per my standard glacial pace I'm also working on a website. I hope to include user created material from the various circuits as example/demos, so expect to get asked permission in the future regarding inclusion there as well (it'll be a while, building comes first). Cheers!
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Oh hey hey, I finally remembered to record + upload this (it's the Doper into itself into the interface, one take etc.)

https://soundcloud.com/escapecraft/dirt ... nto-itself
NSFW: show
for easy reference:
Image

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
Olin wrote: I'm at work 100% of the time I want to go buy beer and it's starting to get pretty emotional.

friendship wrote:If the market value of your pedals isn't plainly audible to you then you must not hear very well.
D.o.S.

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 27314
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Ewe-Kay

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:16 pm

Nice oscillator work! I'm not used to hearing those lows. Perhaps I should opt in on going direct now and then.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 pm

So, after consideration I'm taking the dirty doper off-line. Either due to lack of interest or cost of admission these have moved far too slowly to maintain my support. If I could manage to build them cheaper I'd have a go at it, but I can't without reneging on what I feel are proper build tactics for greater longevity and reliability. Plus, my gut is telling me they'd benefit from an OOP value ripening term.

These are the last two, beyond which I have a single PCB left (which is currently marginally allocated to someone, but might turn into the last available).

The one with two footswitches is the unit that has been listed on reverb the past two months for $265, I'm not going to change the listed price, but I'll take $200 shipped conus.
The other is a standard build, currently unlisted and I'll take $175 shipped conus.


It is looking like the ship has sailed on these, bon voyage!

There are roughly two dozen in the wild.

Image
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Jesus Was a Robot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:46 pm

AWWWW fuck me sideways!! Was hoping to snag one of these in a trade if we did one down the road. I get it though. Fuck I miss my Doper. That is a pedal I fucking regret flipping. I'm just such a goddamn whore I can't help myself sometimes...
"My boner"

-Jwar

"You may caress my harem of large velvety hammers any time".

- The Velvet Hammer

"#I'mwithJwar"

-D.O.S.

"Also this thread is now on page 2399, and the pt2399 is the most used delay chip for most dirty delays. Coincidence? therefore 9/11".

-multi_s

"The only thing I can muster after reading this thread:

Thanks Obama"

-raj007
Jesus Was a Robot

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 15330
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Crazy stuff is possible with trades, but it probably won't take this particular form. I haven't been in the position to push the etchable stuff out yet, but we'll talk once I get there for sure.

The last six months have been brutal, this is just part of my business remodel.

I do plan on plugging the void of talkative/insane circuits dropping the doper has left, but for now it's just the crustacean pulling that load.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: RMA Dirty Doper Mk. II

Postby crochambeau » Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm revisiting this circuit, changing some things in hopes to resolve some inconsistency issues I was seeing and make some changes in the way they are put together to make them a feasible build.

There will be NO pre-order of any sort on this, and I don't have a firm ETA on the Mk. II release. There will be changes, but since this is still in a reformatting period I'd love to hear a list of loves, complaints, and wishes regarding these to softly guide early revision decision making.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

PreviousNext

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.