RMA Tetanus Booster

Moderator: crochambeau

RMA Tetanus Booster

Postby crochambeau » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:17 pm

The Tetanus Booster exemplifies simplicity with the standard configuration of a single knob and true bypass switch. Conversely, it will support complexity via an array of customizable configurations; standard implementation is a single input with a parallel pair of outputs plus an additional buffered output at front panel banana jacks. (banana jacks no longer STANDARD, available upon request - 4/7/2016)

Options include: ousting the single knob and implementing a pre/post two knob build | running just a pair of 1/4" outputs that include a buffer between | deploying the buffer at input to make a 2 in, 1 out quick sum | whatever else you can dream up within the confines of the following diagram:

Circuit is based on a microphone preamplifier and while it sinks its roots into the realm of clean gain, it offers enough gain to spill over into a delightful full band crunch if you so desire.

Availability hinges on what happens to be here: https://reverb.com/shop/rochambeau-musical-apparatus

Now with video!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: RMA Tetanus Booster

Postby multi_s » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

love those cap symbols.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:45 pm

multi_s wrote:love those cap symbols.

:thumb:

Standard electrolytic in Kicad so far as I know.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:08 pm

haha just another reason to switch to kicad i guess ;)
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm

It's kind of a funky learning curve, but once you get past a couple of arguably huge quirks it's a pretty solid program.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm

crochambeau wrote:It's kind of a funky learning curve, but once you get past a couple of arguably huge quirks it's a pretty solid program.

said everyone about every EDA package ever.

nice finish on that box! good luck
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 pm

Stuck a couple non-standard versions of the Tetanus Booster circuit in the Reverb shop this morning.

More soon....

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby univalve » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Want one too.
Normal 6,3mm Moog CV jacks possible?
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Everything is possible, unless you want the CV to be an INPUT, then I need to work at it a little bit more...

In terms of splitting the signal, I can use whatever connector you wish, face or rear mount (or side mount, but you'll need to insist on that one, hahaha).

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:53 pm

I don't know if these will help anybody...

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Tetanus GAS re-ignition. :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Here's a quick comparison between variants (I'm waiting on switches, or I would have offered up comparisons between the single & pre/post in both standard and high gain). As demonstrated, the high gain build goes into high frequency self oscillation once you crack it past ~1-2 o'clock on the dial, if that is a feature you don't want (but you want the high gain) let me know and I can shunt a fair amount of those frequencies. /snip reference to pricing structure on an obsolete layout- May 22, 2020/.

You can skip the first 12 seconds, I meant to trim that and got distracted.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:43 pm

The first 12 seconds is a good lead in for the gnarliness that follows. :thumb: :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Yep, I want one. I loved the crazy oscillating synthy sounds you got with the right one, but the two knobber on the left might just be love.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:02 pm

I should have a two knob high gain version built shortly, I believe the mod to turn it into high gain is going to pave the way to that oscillation, if you'd like a little more control.... it is a parasitic oscillation, so it's not really a dialed in or tuned thing. Oscillation on the unit in the video completely vanishes once the knob is turned below that 1-2 o'clock point, and there's little volume gain past it, so it's basically wide open at noon and goes apeshit beyond. Time will tell if that's recreatable.

Here's a quick run down of some pros and cons between the variants:

High gain mod is executed by modifying the trailing buffer section into a PNP gain section, this is past the second volume control, so these are inherently much noisier at idle (standard builds are pretty quiet in terms of floor noise unless you dime the controls). The high gain version doesn't really do the full sound as well as the normal gain version.

Normal gain builds retain the buffer section, which is routed to the inner of the two output jacks - because the active buffer is part of the circuit, it is BYPASSED when the pedal is (true) bypassed, so that output jack is turned off in bypassed mode. I have decided to NOT engineer a work around on this pedal to hold at the price point. That section turning off does allow reverb trails, etc - if you can work with the volume change.

There is a lot of actual voltage gain on tap with any configuration, tonally speaking, things start happening when the circuit is chewing on actual signal - a byproduct of that is gobs of volume. I'm open to requests based on turning it down (on a per build basis, not across the family), though at that point I don't know if I'm bringing anything to the table that is not already covered by others.

It's not a transparent circuit, so it does take something and give something else back. If you're worried about retaining your fragile harmonics you're probably in the wrong place. :excellent:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus