Generation Loss - VHS simulator

Moderator: Teej212

Re: Generation Loss - VHS simulator

Postby hotknife » Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 pm

worra wrote:
hotknife wrote:Got my Gen Loss today. Cool pedal, Teej. :cool: Just wanted to mention that mine has zero pop/noise issues when engaged. Carry on! :joy:

:(

Mine from the original run still has it - would love to get it remedied at some point

Aww. :( I don't know how bad the issue is, but maybe try hitting up the dude selling his newer model on TGP. You will definitely be able to recover the cost by letting your original model go. :thumb:
#reversereverbintoprofit #ambientflippershark
hotknife

experienced
experienced

Postby mashmore » Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 am

Any plans for another run of these in the near future?
mashmore

interested
interested

Postby Teej212 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Yup more coming soon! Big summer run in the works.
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby affectperdals » Sat May 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Teej212 wrote:Yup more coming soon! Big summer run in the works.

Can I make a suggestion? It would be so cool if the white noise effect was like a crackling some sound. Like a record. Any chance of something like that happening? Can you mod an old one? Just curious.
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby Teej212 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 pm

that wouldn't be accurate to VHS generation loss. When a copy of a VHS is made, noise at a constant level is introduced, and each subsequent copy boosts the noise. I think you might want to look for a vinyl degradation emulator such as the hexe melusine!
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby julius_deane » Sun May 21, 2017 12:14 am

Word! And thanks for the production update.
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am

question - I've been seeing that people don't find the noise knob useful. Would people prefer that to be a volume knob? or what if I changed the internal 'comp' switch to switch the control from volume to noise, and leave the compression permanently on?
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby affectperdals » Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 am

A volume knob would be cool if it boosted AND attenuated the sound. Some of the settings are pretty quiet.
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby Ruiner » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 am

I haven't touched the internal switch yet so can't comment on that as I haven't heard the difference myself. A volume option is always welcomed but just chiming in to say i do use the noise knob. I use it very sparingly but i've done some recording with noise and without noise depending on what i'm going for. I enjoyed modulating the noise by putting the pedal towards the front of the chain and running it through an envelope filter.....
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Teej212 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

affectperdals wrote:A volume knob would be cool if it boosted AND attenuated the sound. Some of the settings are pretty quiet.

yes there would definitely be a boost due to the perceived volume drop from cutting all the frequencies with the filter.
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby zoooombiex » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 am

Fwiw, I always leave the compression on, so I haven't felt the need to use the internal switch after I tried it out. I do use the noise, but sparingly. I've wondered if putting the noise pre-filter would make it more versatile?
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby axdxm » Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 am

Teej212 wrote:question - I've been seeing that people don't find the noise knob useful. Would people prefer that to be a volume knob? or what if I changed the internal 'comp' switch to switch the control from volume to noise, and leave the compression permanently on?

I actually think the "noise" is OK. The ONLY thing I would change about the pedal is the depth range. I feel like there are a lot of shades of how much detuning you would want and it goes from subtle to too much in a short span (is it audio taper?). You can definitely still dial it in, but I would be happy if there was less of the wackier range and more space to dial in and fine tune the more usable range.

Also, I don't know if its possible....but an additional mode where you had an envelope trigger the depth (and a knob for adjusting envelope sensitivity) would be very useful and fun. That way you could vary the VHS effect by your playing dynamics and "play" the warp.

The Hi/Lo pass filter controls are awesome. As-is, the pedal is still excellent.
axdxm

interested
interested

Postby hotknife » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I like the noise control and use it often. Maybe have one of those 3-way external mini switches with different level boost options.
#reversereverbintoprofit #ambientflippershark
hotknife

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:40 pm

hotknife wrote:I like the noise control and use it often. Maybe have one of those 3-way external mini switches with different level boost options.

Yeah, I like this option.
One of the things I wanted on it was a volume boost since the sample rate reduction tends to make things fairly quiet.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue May 30, 2017 2:14 pm

The only thing I've had that changes volume is the HP and LP knobs but that always happens with filters unless you compensate for volume when adjusting frequency (Mutable Instruments Ripples is the only thing off the top of my head that keeps volume consistent across frequencies).
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Cooper fx