New Pedals x4

Moderator: mysteriousj

Re: New Pedals x4

Postby kbit » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:14 am

Any chance you have any demo clips of the thing?
I'm be curious to hear what it do.

:duck:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mysteriousj » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Multi tap Limbo III boxes are here, and I finally have a boxed up sequencer. There's still a heap of everything to be built - but I can only really build 2 or so pedals a week at the moment. There's about 7 compacts still to be made and about 8 or so multi taps. Usually just best to pm/email me. If I have any stock it'll get put on the site!

Ahh yeah the Thing may be a delayed a little bit I'm mostly keen on getting the Limbos and CV sequencer sorted first. My prototype is pretty much working though so could do a demo, but I'm just so short of time and struggling with a broken amp at the moment...

mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:37 am

I don't know if you've already stated this but what is the CV range for the CV Generator?
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 am

Unngh! Dat Signal Beam....
Last edited by Dandolin on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mysteriousj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 am

Strange Tales wrote:I don't know if you've already stated this but what is the CV range for the CV Generator?

I only ever use, 0 -> +5V. It seems the standard guitar effects wise. Could be possible to make some adaptors for other ranges though.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am

As use of cv in pedals increases and evolves, a scaler/polarizer/offset utility pedal would be a great thing....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am

Yea, something like this would be cool to have in euro land, but I assume this is running on a 9v adapter so anything 0-10v or -12-12v would require charge pump action.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mysteriousj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:12 pm

What would you guys reckon are the most common formats? There's a whole heap out there but I'd prefer to just pick 3 or so and hopefully that would cover most gear.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Yeah, I don't think you can reasonably plan for all the variabilities that can exist without increasing the size/complexity/price factors, probs to a level beyond what you're reasonably projecting for the pedal, nor do I think you should have to. That's why I conjectured about an external scaler/polarizer/offset doohickey pedal (which I'm not suggesting you be the one to build). I mean, there's already the Moog CP-251 which, while not a pedal but is pedal board friendly enough, probs for the true hardcore cv geeks, and the ones who are really truly eurorack experienced, like Strange Tales, whose knowledge and opinion I defer to in every possible way when it comes to this stuff, will likely have scalnig/offsetting etc. in their rack already if they want to piggyback your brilliant box into the euro continuum...I think?

For instance, the o.g. A/DA Flanger specifies +3.75 to +11.25, which is wonderfully whacky and part of that 7Ts charm, but A/DA has obsoleted that, and for good reason, imo, and trying to capture outliers within the pedal is just a recipe for a migrain if'n ye ask me.

I think 0 to + 5 v is probs the near de facto in pedal world. If you could find a way to go bipolar with -5 to +5 v (10 volts peak to peak), which idk if you can do with your design specs, but that opens up a lot of doors b/c that allows for bipolar cv, which is what a lot of modules and other gear expect from lfos, and lines up with common audio levels in euroworld. Doepfer talks about -2.5v to +2.5v as a bipolar standard, but doesn't seem to hold to it in practice.

(Tangency--it's not the same point, but audio rate modulation is a beautiful thing with certain sources--love it with delays f'rinstance....)

I know a lot of envelopes are set up to output 0-8v. If you set it up for unipolar in the 0-8v range and have an attenuator on the voltage output, that allows for a shedload of flex. I think with pedals, which have long been expression-pedal-centric, the concern is more often with juicing an input that doesn't have over-voltage protection and can only handle, say 0-3v. I also hear a lot of anecdotal evidence of folks working with a nominal 0-5v input and having to attenuate to somewhere near 0-3v to get things working in a musical way....

So, I'd worry less about catering the upper voltage ranges, personally, and consider an output attenuator on the cv to be more useful/practical than a selectable range of cvs, and probs easier to implement too.

But if you could provide a way to choose between unipolar and bipolar output that would be extra sweet.

Shit. Does that spew make any sense at all?
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:39 pm

0-5v is what I see all the time for guitar pedals. (My ALM SBG module also has a 3v output, but I've used that exactly 0 times so far). I only ask about eurorack compatibility because I use that a lot, and something like that CV Generator (Step assigned waveforms) isn't found in anything else really, at least to this level of program-ability and not through something ridiculous like CV control of a waveform. If you are only able to pump out positive voltages, us euro people can always use attenuverters to offset it into the negative wastelands.

I would say if you want full compatability with all of those formats, the three voltage standards are: Buchla is 0-10v, Euro is 0-12v, and I don't remember what MOTM is (0-15v I think). I don't know how prevalent pedal usage is outside of Euro, but I know a lot of people like to integrate pedals and Euro.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

See. There you go.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mysteriousj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 pm

I think if I had a few pots as controls I could get it so you can do any range/ polarity. Will try and get a pcb done this weekend.

I'll keep it as a separate thing in a small enclosure and just sell it for cheap.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 pm

:rock:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mysteryroach » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 am

Something that may be good to include in either the CV generator or the separate conversion box is the ability to have a regular expression output.

I'd be interested to know if this will feature that, or if the lighting wave pedals do, because it will effect the scope of a custom CoPilot Broadband box I'm going to have made. If the CV generator already has a CV->expression converter on board, then I will require 2 less inputs on the broadband.
mysteryroach

committed
committed

Postby mysteriousj » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 am

mysteryroach wrote:Something that may be good to include in either the CV generator or the separate conversion box is the ability to have a regular expression output.

I'd be interested to know if this will feature that, or if the lighting wave pedals do, because it will effect the scope of a custom CoPilot Broadband box I'm going to have made. If the CV generator already has a CV->expression converter on board, then I will require 2 less inputs on the broadband.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a regular expression output - did you mean input? I've got two CV outs each of which is an independent channel and then a SYNC input for external tap/ chaining several together. I did think about having the SYNC configurable as a CV/Exp input to maybe control depth or speed - but it's just a bit messy. I'm trying to stay relatively simple at first to nail the fundamentals. Hopefully that helps?
mysteriousj

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Eightytape