Future Plans

Moderator: mysteriousj

What would you like me to design?

LIMBO II - Multi Tap, longer delay time, better CV control, top mounted jacks, trails?
9%
Another Delay - Maybe simpler cheaper?
5%
Sequencer - finish the CV sequencer
19%
Through Zero Flanger?
19%
Chorus/Vibrato?
12%
Make a cool Tremolo.
9%
RingMod?
9%
A digitized fuzz which can save presets?
19%

Total votes : 58

Future Plans

Postby mysteriousj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Oh hey. So I'm going on a hiatus very soon(and I just got started right?). I'm going to be travelling around Europe for six weeks, but the good news is in late October I'll be back and unemployed which means I can finally get some pedal stuff done.

So I was keen to see what people would be interested in? Most of this stuff I already have working prototypes and I eventually want to finish them all but I was keen get some other opinions on what I should be focusing on..

Here's what I've got working so far..

Cheers!
Last edited by mysteriousj on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Re: Future Plans

Postby sonidero » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:14 pm

I always like when you ride your Bike through...

I will always vote for Mo Cray Delay... :thumb:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm

I couldn't vote on just one. I would say maybe do another delay down the road since the one you have now is so balls. There's so many good delays out these days. I'm sure no one would be opposed but some of your other ideas are great and could fill some gaps:

- The world needs more flanger.

- Digital fuzz, definitely. Just something different would be great as a new sound or an extra alternative.

- Ring Mod, I put this last although I immediately clicked on that option. I love ring mods. Mostly for the ugly nasty sounds one can get with them if so desired. That said, not everyone likes ring mods as much as delay and fuzz. An ideal ring mod, in my opinion, would be able to get nasty or be tame enough to please haters. I've tried the Ring Stinger, Craig Anderton's design and Randy's Revenge. Randy's was my least favorite. Ring Stinger is amazing. The Anderton one is purely great cause its ugly sounding but the best part is the fucking effects loop for blending. It's genius for that.

I think any of your ideas would be fresh and different. Can't wait to see more of ya. In the end, I guess my vote would be for a versatile Ring M with an effects loop....
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby backwardsvoyager » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 pm

i voted TZF because let's face it there's like one on the market right now as opposed to a thousand delays and i think your take on it would be awesome. DigiFuzz or Ring Mod would be cool too though.
LaoWiz wrote:- The world needs more flanger.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bellyheart » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Trem. I would've said ring but my mf ring does all I want as far as I know.
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 am

TZF and ring mod.

TZF because TZF. And subdecay is making the only decent boutique flangers out there - one of them is a little too scaled down and the other is a behemoth.

Maybe a way to make a ring mod more sellable is to make it a really cool tremolo and throw a switch for insane LFO speeds and bam, cool ring mod. You could tune it so that the ring mod sounds pleasing and isn't just an afterthought. Clean blend is necessary for a ring mod, and could (?) maybe be useful for a trem. Maybe instead of a depth knob. Dunno. Wave shapes are fairly necessary for a trem and would be cool on a ring mod. Maybe some sort of "push" knob where you can push the shape of the LFO, instead of just selecting sine/square/triangle or a fixed asymmetry.

Another alternative is to make a fuzz ring mod and use the ring mod to blend in various levels of intermodulation to make the fuzz wackier. Pretty sure if you thought about the control set for a bit you could get something rad. Maybe make each half of the circuit (fuzz/ring mod) switchable with a buffered clean signal. That way you could go fuzz and blend in ring mod for intermodulating fun. Or you could throw a switch and kill the ring mod making fuzz/clean blend = bassists happy. Or you could nix the fuzz side and have a clean ring mod. Or you could have 100% ring mod and blend in a little fuzz to make it a dirty lofi ring mod.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby mysteriousj » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 am

Okay so as a general consensus TZF seems a good idea. Controls?
Pots: Range, Depth, Rate, Regen, Level, Shape(?)
Toggle Switches: Invert and Through Zero/Conventional Flanger.
A CV/Exp for LFO input and Regen/Rate/Depth.
Bypass and Tap Tempo foot switches. Could do envelope control too but not sure if I want to go that far..

The fuzz is pretty much already done.. just a matter of tweaking, graphics and name. I'll try and prioritise it.

If anyone has a rad name for a tzf flanger or presetable fuzz pm me, and if I use it I'll build you one for free :) I always get so stuck on thinking of names for things...

sonidero wrote:I always like when you ride your Bike through...

I will always vote for Mo Cray Delay... :thumb:

Where have you been hiding??????? I've been missing those random late night pms haha.

goroth wrote:throw a switch for insane LFO speeds and bam, cool ring mod.

Yes. I like this idea. There is a small technical problem I might have to sort out. You usually have to filter the control voltage to be able to get a nice square wave without getting those 'ticking' noises. I'll give it a go though I usually filter at about 50hz but I'll see how far I can raise that while keeping ticking to a minimum.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby backwardsvoyager » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:23 am

mysteriousj wrote:Okay so as a general consensus TZF seems a good idea. Controls?
Pots: Range, Depth, Rate, Regen, Level, Shape(?)
Toggle Switches: Invert and Through Zero/Conventional Flanger.
A CV/Exp for LFO input and Regen/Rate/Depth.
Bypass and Tap Tempo foot switches. Could do envelope control too but not sure if I want to go that far..

that... sounds pretty much perfect. envelope control over the depth or maybe range or regen would be fucking AWESOME but if it was too difficult or added a lot to the price i guess it'd be best to leave that out. flangers are complex enough to build in the first place.
but that feature set right there, i would buy that.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goosekevin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:09 am

I voted for flange and that sounds great!
Digital fuzz would have been my second choice and also sounds sick
Thru zero flange makes me think of space/time travel
Kaluza Kline flange?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza–Klein_theory

Digital fuzz makes me. Think of old computers
Difference engine?
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/diffengi.htm

They are bad name ideas but the pedals sound like they are gonna be amazing
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:24 am

I voted for the In Limbo II, though for me multi tap isn't necessary, I'd just like an In Limbo with an external tap input.
I'm wondering what you mean with better CV / EXP control since it seems to have quite a lot of control possibilities already?
Oh yeah, it would be cool if you could add a quarter note triplet and eight note triplet division setting on there.
That sequencer seems mighty interesting too, I'm curious to know what it'll be like in the end.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mysteriousj » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm

tomlane95 wrote:I voted for flange and that sounds great!
Digital fuzz would have been my second choice and also sounds sick
Thru zero flange makes me think of space/time travel
Kaluza Kline flange?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza–Klein_theory

Digital fuzz makes me. Think of old computers
Difference engine?
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/diffengi.htm

They are bad name ideas but the pedals sound like they are gonna be amazing

Cheers man, good ideas there. I was definitely thinking about something to do with computers for the fuzz too.

Tristan wrote:I voted for the In Limbo II, though for me multi tap isn't necessary, I'd just like an In Limbo with an external tap input.
I'm wondering what you mean with better CV / EXP control since it seems to have quite a lot of control possibilities already?
Oh yeah, it would be cool if you could add a quarter note triplet and eight note triplet division setting on there.
That sequencer seems mighty interesting too, I'm curious to know what it'll be like in the end.

There is already 8th note triplets except there was a printing error and I forgot to put the '3' on the end there. :picard: I was thinking of changing it to just an 8th note so it looked like I never made a mistake but maybe I should leave it haha? That control is just a normal pot if I add another option it might get a little hard to tell where exactly it is. I'll give it a go though..

By better CV/EXP I mostly mean making the feedback and maybe the mix fully controllable, ie so it's digitally controlled by a vca. At the moment it can ramp up the repeats but it doesn't have full control. It works pretty well as is but it would be an improvement.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:16 pm

To be honest, most delays other than the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo don't include it but the quarter note triplets setting is my favourite.
In practice I tend to use the momentary switch to ramp up the feedback quite a bit, so much so that I don't even really need to use an expression pedal anymore, key is that it's adjustable.
Understood, making a mix control digitally controllable isn't that easy, I don't exactly know what you meant to say about the feedback control but maybe I do once I've had my hands on the actual unit.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:07 pm

if you are gonna do a TZF you owe it to yourself to try and emulate and or improve upon the FoxRox paradox
apart from the actual sounds themselves which are incredible, the way it is powered means the headroom is endless and its SO SO SO FAT is ridiculous
couple that with envelope control over the manual delay, CV for rate and footswitchable polarities its just in a class of its own.

if you could add tap tempo, variable waveshapes etc then holy shit
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby mysteriousj » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 pm

I'd never actually heard the paradox before but just did a quick listen to demos of it and it sounds soooo rad.

I'm just waiting on my boards for the flanger I designed, it's actually pretty similar, I've got a lot more controls over the sweep and shape but I don't have the envelope feature... but it is possible to control almost anything over CV, and funnily enough I just designed an attack/decay/tremolo type effect which can send an envelope signal out over CV so with the two together it's possible at least - but a little complicated. CV is fun.

The digital fuzz is going to be ready first, followed by the attack/decay/tremolo and flanger. Boards should be here in a couple weeks...yesss.
mysteriousj

committed
committed

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I wish you sold boards :)
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Eightytape