All-In-One (AIO) recording hardware

Moderator: Ghost Hip

All-In-One (AIO) recording hardware

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi folks,

I hate messing with DAWs with audio interface lag, technical issues for plugins, and cumbersome options. I saw that the TASCAM DP-24SD went from $499 to $399. It has 24 tracks, fx, up to 32GB SD storage, a GUI for most applications (it seems), and a familiar workflow (i have the DP-08EX and the basic features seem to match). I read that it is quite sturdy and I like the idea of it not having compatibility issues in the future. It records in either 24-bit/16-bit 44.1khz/48khz. A downside is no full featured drum machine and no midi sync. Nor can it be used as an audio interface for a DAW. It seems that the gap from idea to execution is narrowed with these sorts of devices. I've AB'd some recordings I've made (distorted guitars, drum machine, bass) against "pro" CDs and even at 16-bit/44.1khz the recordings hold up surprisingly well against those "pro" recordings and that's even with a 2-minute EQing/Mastering. The DP24SD is a step above the DP08EX so I don't know what I would be missing by going to AIO route. Again, a downside is the missing MIDI. TASCAM/ZOOM seem to be the only folks in the Prosumer market creating these devices anymore. What blows my mind is what these companies remove in new generation hardware. Both used to have an MIDI feature that worked with the internal metronome/drum machine that allowed everything to be in sync. Now that they've gone from 16-bit to 24-bit and from Hard/CD drives to SD cards, why would they remove the MIDI feature? Even putting a USB MIDI IN/OUT would have been nice. Now you have go by feel and cut the track to sync your drum machine with the metronome. I'm always shocked by certain decisions for hardware upgrades. I hate seeing old hardware that only needed two upgrades (SD/24-bit) and NOTHING ELSE! UGH! And build quality, sometimes a company (ZOOM) sells low cost multiFX foot pedals at $100 and build them like tanks then release a $500 recorder and builds them like origami while the previous iteration was built to survive a nuclear blast. Anyway, if you folks know of any other product/company that is making a nice AIO recorder, let me know.

Regards ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: All-In-One (AIO) recording hardware

Postby ibarakishi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 pm

tascam/zoom are pretty much it. there is next to no market for this sort of thing now that you can either have a daw on your ipad or laptop and just hook up things into that with either an interface or adapter. I wish there were more competition and people making them, as i have been interested too. but i never took the leap because for the money i might as well just cave and work with a computer at that price point. someday i would like to have on though, mainly so i can just drop off the grid and do stuff in isolation or travel easily with acoustic instruments and record things with people in not so ideal situations.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby duffmcshark » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 am

I feel like these new offerings are mostly mixers designed for a live band that also happen to have recording capabilities. Yes, they can do several things like overdub, be an audio interface, and let you add some EQ and effects, but those things seem to be afterthoughts and add ons to make their live band mixer seem more versatile.

Personally I’d like them to interface better with a DAW as well as act like a standalone so I can work with or without a computer, depending on how I feel, but I think the best we’re going to get is maybe slightly more capable live mixers. Maybe Soundcraft will add SD recording to their Signature line and maybe the LiveTrak or Model 16 / 24 will become a little more capable with MIDI and more I/O in interface mode. Maybe NAMM will surprise us in a few weeks.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:28 am

ibarakishi wrote:tascam/zoom are pretty much it. there is next to no market for this sort of thing now that you can either have a daw on your ipad or laptop and just hook up things into that with either an interface or adapter. I wish there were more competition and people making them, as i have been interested too. but i never took the leap because for the money i might as well just cave and work with a computer at that price point. someday i would like to have on though, mainly so i can just drop off the grid and do stuff in isolation or travel easily with acoustic instruments and record things with people in not so ideal situations.

Sounds like you want the Zoom R8:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-r8

It is battery operated, records at 24-bit, and can act as an audio interface for a DAW. And you can always export individual tracks for DAW processing. You might be able to find used ones in your area.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

duffmcshark wrote:I feel like these new offerings are mostly mixers designed for a live band that also happen to have recording capabilities. Yes, they can do several things like overdub, be an audio interface, and let you add some EQ and effects, but those things seem to be afterthoughts and add ons to make their live band mixer seem more versatile.

Personally I’d like them to interface better with a DAW as well as act like a standalone so I can work with or without a computer, depending on how I feel, but I think the best we’re going to get is maybe slightly more capable live mixers. Maybe Soundcraft will add SD recording to their Signature line and maybe the LiveTrak or Model 16 / 24 will become a little more capable with MIDI and more I/O in interface mode. Maybe NAMM will surprise us in a few weeks.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for new offerings. A dream of mine would be a dedicated 14” notebook with built in xlr/trs inputs, trad midi in/out, usb slots for usb midi, sd reader, hdmi out, and footswitch inputs for punch in/out. I’m surprised a dell or hp haven’t worked with an ableton to create such a device.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording