· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
DAWs, VST, iPads, interfaces, software, etc.
Post a reply

decent cheapish mic for recording acoustic guitars

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Can anyone recommend one? Thanks in advance.

Re: decent cheapish mic for recording acoustic guitars

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Take a look for used rode stuff like the NT1.

Cascade Audio FAT HEAD BE ribbon mic for some character $170 new

SM57's also work. Lots of things do well actually.

I make some mics sometimes.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks! I’ve never heard anything good about SM57s and acoustic guitars. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, though. I’ll check these out...

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I mean, they won't instantly sound great. But definitely usable. Especially in a mix. Do some eq, tame it a bit and your set. The best mic for the job is always what's at hand

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:53 pm

DRodriguez wrote:I mean, they won't instantly sound great. But definitely usable. Especially in a mix. Do some eq, tame it a bit and your set. The best mic for the job is always what's at hand

Mostly I want to get good recordings of solo guitar (I should've said), but thanks!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:02 pm

What's your budget/preamp situation?

My shoot from the hip response for an acoustic would be a large diaphragm condenser microphone, but then you're faced with phantom power needs/etc.

I say that with a big gaping hole regarding ribbon experience though, some day, some day..

On the budget is roughly what a meal will cost front I'd say DIY an omni electret per the tape op or other article, that'll put you on par with hand-held field recorders.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:52 pm

Try the Cascade Audio FAT HEAD BE ribbon mic. Best budget ribbon mic and cheaper than most LDC of similar quality.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

crochambeau wrote:What's your budget/preamp situation?

My shoot from the hip response for an acoustic would be a large diaphragm condenser microphone, but then you're faced with phantom power needs/etc.

I say that with a big gaping hole regarding ribbon experience though, some day, some day..

On the budget is roughly what a meal will cost front I'd say DIY an omni electret per the tape op or other article, that'll put you on par with hand-held field recorders.

As far under $200 as possible. I'm recording into Garageband using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Try the Cascade Audio FAT HEAD BE ribbon mic. Best budget ribbon mic and cheaper than most LDC of similar quality.

Thanks!

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Out of any mic I've personally tried I get the best results with a fat head. But as drod says a SM57 will do the job as will most stuff depending on your exact goal.

I'm no expert though listening to drod.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 am

Electro-Voice 635A/PL5(same mic, different names).

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:35 pm

I know you said under $200.. for $200 new you can get a matched pair of Rode M5s, these would be wonderful for mic'ing an acoustic guitar.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm

I want to get a beta sm58 for home demo recordings coz my 609 needs the gain cranked to pick up much acoustic

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 am

sE makes some nice condensers and I got pretty nice results recording acoustic with it

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Is it for solo acoustic or for fitting into a band mix? Do you have a good sounding room with high ceilings? An omni mic sounds awesome but picks up a lot of room noise. Same thing with condensors. Is there a dynamic that gives you a minimum of proximity effect? Can you get an EV RE10 or RE15 for less than $200 anymore?
Post a reply