Anybody into headphones?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Anybody into headphones?

Postby tremolo3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

I did that few years ago and tried a lot of them, I used to give headphones (as presents) to my family and close friends in order to test them properly other than going to Best Buy and test them for a few minutes.

I sold most and kept the Sony MDR V6 (for guitar/studio/whatevs) and Koss Porta Pro for casual listening.

The Monoprice 8323 were fucking awesome and I would use those over all the closed back Audo Technica and Sennheiser I tried, quality construction was really poor and my pair broke in about a year unfortunately, but I have a big head too :(
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GAS KING » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Kind of a dead end hobby?

Or at least that's what I'm finding.

Porta Pros are really good. I wish I would have started with those and ended my little hobby there. lol

Its a great fun but I can imagine obsessing about the finer details in tone....let alone paying over $200 for a set......or constantly swapping sets in search of better.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 pm

GAS KING wrote:Porta Pros are really good. I wish I would have started with those and ended my little hobby there. lol

Same. Perfect size, affordable (although I noticed they're way more expensive) and if not in noisy environments they're more than adequate for every situation.

Not sure if a dead end hobby, there are amps, DACs, pads, cables and other things you can be obsessed with. I just simply stopped because I started with pedals :lol:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GAS KING » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:23 pm

by dead end hobby, I meant, its not really a hobby that is based on skill or learning/evolution.

I tend to consider those hobbies limited.
Its fun to buy and try stuff. Get deep into all the newness of it.
Beyond that.......just kind of a shallow consumer hobby and easy to get caught up in chasing that illusive perfect pair of headphones that doesn't exist.

I've gotten to the point where I get interested in unique hobbies/interests/high quality products. find stuff I like and meets my needs...then I'm done.

You could keep going (and people do) and collect..........but imo, its seems like a money pit for not much more improvement. For me.....that endless desire and "grass is greener" tends to lead to unhappiness.

Did that with guitar for like 10 years........but mostly done obsessing over tiny details of tone and gear. I just get close enough to what I like now and be happy with it.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby Psyre » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 am

How did you end up liking the monoprice pair? I'm looking for a third pair. Something to contrast from my AKG K240's and DT 770. Something that is convertible open/closed would be handy.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GAS KING » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:44 am

Psyre wrote:How did you end up liking the monoprice pair? I'm looking for a third pair. Something to contrast from my AKG K240's and DT 770. Something that is convertible open/closed would be handy.

M1060C closed are pretty good.
Nice bass and non-tiring high end. Mids are clear but not too pronounced.
I would describe them as warm.

I've heard of people doing mods to the cups/closed back; where they Velcro or magnetize them for convertibility.

I have 5 pair now.....and I'm struggling to select the best. Each is awesome in their own way. I'd like to get down to 2 pair.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording