Let's see your tape recording set ups.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Let's see your tape recording set ups.

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:29 pm

(Sorry if there's a thread on this -- I looked, didn't find anything).

Does anyone here record to cassette tape? I'm in the process of building a portable 4-track tape set up, to record my personal projects/jams live with my friends. I need inspiration ideas, and am curious what members of this community have lying around or use as their recording set up.

Cheers.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Re: Let's see your tape recording set ups.

Postby qersty » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 am

Sometimes i record onto this old technics deck that has front facing 1/4" inputs. sounds black metal af when you overdrive it
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:06 am

Here are a few I finally scrounged up. I fell out of the habit of photo documenting last year, so all but one of these is 3+ years old. I'll have 2 more to throw up here in the next couple months. These are a few of my Tascam 488 MK1 and Yamaha MT100 Mk1. My collaborative partner has my old Yamaha MT3X which we have also done a few projects on.

Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ummohyeah » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:32 am

That's a rad set up! I'd love to see current photos. Is that the ART Pro VLA dual compressor? If so I have that on my want list, I assume you like it?

Also what all do you use the Space Echo for?
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby Psyre » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Cool, I'll try to get a few more up next week. Loads of this gear have already left the nest, including the 2 pieces you are asking about haha

The Art was actually the Pro MPA II, but I have used the Limiter as well. They are solid utility units but I found that I prefer the way cheaper Aphex offerings when it comes to semi-transparent pres and comps/limiters. The 106/108 do excellent parallel compression and cassette front end tracking for a fraction of the cost. All real comp duties are handled by a stereo pair of Tweakers now. I do want to say that the aphex's do have their downsides...wall wart power supply (24v AC so pretty oddball) and no on/off so I don't like having them on master switches.

The RE-150 was mainly used as an aux for the mt100 or my mackie vlz. Eventually I realized it only really excels, for me, on guitar which I don't really play anymore. The preamp on it made it the best sounding guitar delay to my ears, but I didn't love it for drums or dirty mono synths so I sold it help fund my Orville.

As chance would have it, I just reclaimed ownership of the above mentioned MT3X, and have it set up for some beat tapes with a KP3+ on it's aux sends.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Latest 8-track setup, Roland SH-09 did not fit into the frame:

Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Tech & Recording