iPad, interfaces, USB, ugh

Moderator: Ghost Hip

iPad, interfaces, USB, ugh

Postby Errant Tiger » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

So my iPhone died, which means that any new phone I get is not going to be able to talk to my 10 year old MacBook Pro (maxxed out at Snow Leopard), which is on permanent crutches anyway. So I started thinking this might be a great time to get a new machine, and given that all I really use my computer for is Internet, music/photo storage, Sonos controlling, Garageband, and occasional word processing, I'm thinking maybe an iPad Pro would be a good option. Setting aside the physical size/hard drive/cost calculus (which is paralyzing in its own right), what I'm wondering about is how much of a pain in the ass it will be to run my 2i2 (or any USB powered interface, I imagine) into the iPad, and wondering what others here might do for an interface. My music is guitar and pedal based, and while I'm intrigued by the many synth apps for iPad, I need to be able to plug my gear into it.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom on this crucial issue...
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Re: iPad, interfaces, USB, ugh

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 pm

u might already know some of this stuff but main things w/ an interface and iPad...

u need the camera connection kit or whatever they are calling it these days
this allows your iPad to act as a usb host, which allows u to connect all sorts of fun things to it

second is if your interface is class compliant meaning no drivers necessary.
pretty much if its class compliant it will run fine on the iPad. most interfaces these days are.

third thing to consider esp if u are gunna be mobile a lot is if your interface is able to be bus powered via the iPad.
the current draw available from the iPad is more limited than a USB port on my computer but most newer interfaces will usually tell u specifically if it is able to be powered or not via iPad.
i like the bus powered because it simplifies the whole setup and allows u to take it anywhere.

the newer CCK adapter has an extra lightning port that allows u to charge your iPad/iphone + powers anything coming off the usb at the same time. hubs, controllers, interfaces etc.
this is a nice solution that simplifies things a lot & gives u flexibility. u can power everything from a USB battery if you'd like, for extra juice. batteries are super cheap these days w/ lots of life

i have an older iPad mini and i've never had any issues w/ it + an interface
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording