Question for desktop recording - am I looking for...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Question for desktop recording - am I looking for...

Postby Sonaboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm

So I have a new-ish computer with a good hunk of memory and lots of USB ports (but no audio inputs other than a standard 1/8"), Audacity/Ableton Live, an Arturia MiniLab controller and a Minilogue, a guitar and...I think I need advice on a something regarding best use.

If I want to record a few random things live that I might twist and mangle through my other tools, but would also want to avoid spending extra money on a USB interface if I can, would that mean my best choice for the last puzzle piece be THIS? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... _cr_x__a_w

Or should I just get a regular 1x or 2x USB audio interface like a Scarlett Solo or something, and figure out something else to record spontaneous things in the field (or just outside the room, you know)?

I guess I just don't know how well these Zoom thingies serve as interfaces and if I'm just asking for trouble, since I'm a bit inexperienced with all of it.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Re: Question for desktop recording - am I looking for...

Postby Theta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 am

Zoom is good but for less money you can buy some 1x or 2x USB interface and will do the job great.
If I were you I'll go for interface, and you won't need anything else.
Just my 2 cents, by the way.
THETA | LOUD NOISE
OFFICIAL FACEBOOK | http://www.facebook.com/thetaloudnoise
OFFICIAL BANDCAMP | http://thetaloudnoise.bandcamp.com
Theta

interested
interested

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am

Theta wrote:Zoom is good but for less money you can buy some 1x or 2x USB interface and will do the job great.
If I were you I'll go for interface, and you won't need anything else.
Just my 2 cents, by the way.

I would need a mic though. Something a bit better than whatever is on my MotoX4.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am

Zooms are really nice for cheap field recorders, they do not really make for great interfaces. But if you buy a cheap interface you will be limited in quality anyways.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

DRodriguez wrote:Zooms are really nice for cheap field recorders, they do not really make for great interfaces. But if you buy a cheap interface you will be limited in quality anyways.

Limited how?
I think I arrived at this point because I needed something that could do a bit of everything. Even though before I've looked at a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, PreSonus Audiobox iTwo, and a Tascam US 2x2, but those only do one thing, where I need something that can record, be in the field AND be on a desktop talking to a computer.

Does the Zoom just have very limited functions as an interface (which may be acceptable) or do they just not work very well with many computer DAWs, or what?
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

Limited in monitoring, your available ins and available outs. And you have to menu dive with an annoying control scheme to do things like adjust phantom power etc. It will work, but workflow is not great.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 am

DRodriguez wrote:Limited in monitoring, your available ins and available outs. And you have to menu dive with an annoying control scheme to do things like adjust phantom power etc. It will work, but workflow is not great.

It's just going to be me doing one thing at a time, so I won't need more than 2 ins. The rest of it will be me putting recorded & saved tracks into Audacity and setting levels, etc.
This is all so I can make segues for songs going on an upcoming album, and a few ambient backdrops. It's all "artificially" constructed.

Menu diving sucks, but I'm willing to do it at the expense of a little time, rather than money.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby StephanCOH » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:55 am

Get a 2i2. You'll get two neutral sounding inputs, direct monitoring option, headphones out, monitor out. All controls are on the frontplate, no need to get any piece of software (at least on Mac).
The only downside is it has no ADAT.
StephanCOH

interested
interested

Return to Tech & Recording