My first interface

Moderator: Ghost Hip

My first interface

Postby Bearstripes » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 am

Hey everybody! So it’s time I start home shred life and I need an interface. I have a pretty powerful pc a friend gave me and I’m currently running reaper for a daw and I have one of those trash line 6 interfaces right now.

I’m looking for something cheap as I don’t know how far I’m gonna go with this so like 250 is my max. What I’m looking for is something with multiple inputs (a friend and I jam with a bunch of synths and what not and I’d like to be able to track everything live and individually. Other thing I really want is the ability to send audio out so I can use some effects pedals and outboard gear I have and send it back in. Not sure if this is something I can do with most things or not.

The only thing I really have in mind right now is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen. Did a lot of research but I know such little bout this stuff I have no idea what to look for. So I’m just looking for suggestions of other options or confirmation the focusrite is dope
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Re: My first interface

Postby Muff_Diver » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 am

A Scarlett is gonna be your best bet for that price. Sold pre's, very easy to understand and use, portable. Go for it!

Im pretty sure youd need a reamp box to send audio from DAW>interface>effects>interface, though I would wait for someone with more experience than myself to confirm.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am

That’s what I thought but I was hoping there was a way around that
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby boneslygrifter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:52 am

You will absolutely need a reamp box. There's really no good alternative that will be any cheaper. The radial ones cost $100. If you want to save some money (and I have been crucified for this suggestion but I have recorded an EP on it): Behringer UMC404HD. Doesn't have the four additional line inputs but it has more output routing options and still has 4 XLR inputs. And its $100 new, sometimes cheaper on sale. Sound quality on it is great for the price (and I say that as someone who also has a Scarlett 18i20).
My music:

https://hetchetchy-tx.bandcamp.com/releases Side project with my best friend, we wrote and recorded this in two days.

https://mummertheband.com/releases Same friend on drums with another on guitars/lead vocals
boneslygrifter

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am

u can totally get by w/o a reamp box. i just do it straight w/o one its fine.

I've heard good things about those newer behringer interfaces too.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:44 am

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:u can totally get by w/o a reamp box. i just do it straight w/o one its fine.

I've heard good things about those newer behringer interfaces too.

Was going to say the same thing. Watch your levels, trust your ears. :thumb:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Return to Tech & Recording