Amp know-it-alls: question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Amp know-it-alls: question

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi,

I've been buying tube amps / preamps recently and while there are solid state preamp tube replacements (retrovalve and amt) there are no solid state tube power amp replacements (EL34 or 6L6). Why? Years ago AMT announced they were working on them, as well as the designer of the Retrovalves beforehand, but nothing has transpired. Is the technology that difficult? I think this product is imortant because if tube factories close down or if the "west" has geopolitical issues with countries that make them (russia, china, eastern europe) guitarists may be in a shit spot. Any technical bottlenecks you folks may know about?

Regards ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Amp know-it-alls: question

Postby crochambeau » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Do you mean an octal based solid state module that can plug into a tube socket and power the amp?

I don't think the technical side would be the biggest obstacle, I think musicians would be.

It's a pretty cool idea, I'd love to be able to run a pair with a pair of tubes in a PPP amp for another spectrum of break-up... THAT level of compatibility might be a challenge though.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

crochambeau wrote:Do you mean an octal based solid state module that can plug into a tube socket and power the amp?

I don't think the technical side would be the biggest obstacle, I think musicians would be.

It's a pretty cool idea, I'd love to be able to run a pair with a pair of tubes in a PPP amp for another spectrum of break-up... THAT level of compatibility might be a challenge though.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. And I believe you are right about musicians not being hyped about a solid state solution for power tubes. But I think the "industry" needs to continue to work on it in case the day comes where those factories aren't pumping out tubes. I believe Mesa Boogie created the ss power tube back in the day but it didn't go over well.

Edit: i searched and could find nothing on Mesa Boogie making solid state power tubes ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 am

I think that the topology of tube power/output sections vs SS are drastically different enough to make a tube ss replacement whatever a nightmare. Not to mention it has to sound good. Like, look at a tube amp schematic then a SS amp schematic. The output sections of each are nowhere near each other in similarity.
Tubes are cooking electrons and rocketing them through a grid and shit.
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording