Talk to me about Mic Preamps

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Talk to me about Mic Preamps

Postby rustywire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 pm

That's a good way to do it: research, shop around & bide time until a deal emerges [if you aren't in a hurry]
The TB12, with all of its features, is an outstanding candidate to have as an only-option. I cant get a pair soon enough.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wafl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm

I've used the ART one for voiceover work for radio but never for music and its been, good I guess. Some people like to go straight into the board for simplicity but I think it sounds a bit better.

Hopefully once we get our live space up and running I can put it in there and see how it sounds with overheads and vox and the like. It also has a mid side matrix option, which I think is pretty cool. Helpful when you don't have a daw or really nice board to work with.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info wafl, i hope you share some of your recordings one here too for people to reference once you get your space set up along with your other gear. I think it would be really helpful for people to see
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:24 am

The problem is the building we're going to be renting the studio from is still under construction, even though it was supposed to be completed in septembre. Plus the studio is actually a just a concrete room that we have to turn into a studio so it may take a while.

At least the board has approved the budget so once we're in there, there shouldn't be too many more delays.

We're planning to film the live performances and put them up on youtube so hopefully there will be lots of content to share come the spring.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:39 am

that is exciting wafl. What all was included for your equipment in your proposal to the board for recordings? Is there anything new that you are planning to purchase with the budget that you have never tried before?
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:07 pm

The board sort of gave us a discretionary fund, so any new request go through the station manager. Its for equipment and acoustic treatment. We bought 4 sm 48s and 2 AT4040s plus some headphones that I can't remember the model. I'm pushing for some rode sdcs like the M5 or NT5 to replace our shitty apex ones, as well as some more drum focused mics, and sm57s or e609s. As well we're hopefully getting some DBX compressors that I've never used before. 266xs for channels and a 1066 for the master insert.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm

some of those old dbx's are gold. i like the i think its the 163. its like a half rack w/ one slider on it. sounds amazing.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:24 am

Yeah i am really interested in the dbx 166XS and the dbx 1066 too. They come up on ebay a lot for super cheap (like the ART stuff too) so in the future i am looking at trying to grab some used
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording