Beyerdynamic TG V35 microphone - any good?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Beyerdynamic TG V35 microphone - any good?

Postby moid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Hello everyone

I recently got a small amount of Amazon vouchers given to me (yay!) which I of course must spend on musical related goodies (well you have to don't you?) and I've been thinking of getting a halfway decent microphone (or at least better than the terrible things I'm currently using) so I could record acoustic guitar and glockenspiel better. I looked through Amazon and Shure microphones are out of my reach (I've got £30 UK to spend), but I can go a little bit over ... and some searching found this Beyerdynamic TG V35 which is £43

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Supercardioid-Microphone-Vocals-Switch/dp/B004XHA3V2/ref=pd_vtph_267_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VTVEHB2F3W59ZPE8V78C

which I can find a lot of good reviews for on other websites, but I wondered if any of you know if they are any good? I have no experience with microphones beyond the crap SoundLAB ones that I paid £5 for secondhand who record as much hiss as they do signal. I'm not really looking to record vocals, just to record acoustic instruments into my DI box and PC. I've got XLR input for my DI box so that should be OK. Is there any reason why I couldn't run this into an effects pedal (delay and reverb and chorus by choice) before going to the DI box, or does the microphone only have to connect to the DI box to get power correctly? (I know some mics need phantom power, but I can't work out from the tech sheet if this one does too) http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_TGV35ds_EN_A2.pdf

Thanks for any help
moid

experienced
experienced

Re: Beyerdynamic TG V35 microphone - any good?

Postby actual » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:49 am

Can't say anything about the quality of this particular mic, but it's a dynamic and doesn't need phantom power. With an xlr to jack adapter you should be able to get something going through pedals :)
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby moid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks very much, so presumably dynamic = no power requirement? I've got the xlr to jack cable already, so this one sounds like a good choice.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I know you said that Shure mics are too expensive for you, but I'd probably save up and get one. I'm sure it'd last longer than that cheaper Beyer. :idk:

All depends on what you're really wanting out of a mic though. That Beyer is probably good enough for what it is.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:57 pm

moid wrote:to record acoustic instruments into my DI box and PC

What is your DI box? I immediately think Direct Injection, are you talking about a passive DI or an interface of some sort?

What does A/D duty on your computer?

The reason I ask these questions is that dynamics mics have needs. They benefit from a preamp ASAP to get a really puny signal pumped up. My concern is that if you're plugging a passive DI into a line level input on a comupter interface, the noise you're complaining about might be happening there, and you could throw a thousand dollar mic at it and still have the same stupid noise floor issue.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:49 am

For recording acoustic instruments i'd save up a little more and get a condencer mic.
Looking at Amazon you can get a SE Electronics X1 for 90£. It's double your budget, but is probably more bang for the buck than the Beyerdynamic mic.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 am

But then he'd need phantom power, ognoy.
- but yeah, save up and get a better mic :)
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 am

If TS doesn't have a audio interface he should probably get that first. A 1-input second hand ok AI shouldn't be too expencive.

And if TS has a AI, but without phantom power those ART mic pres are decent and pretty cheap as well.

I use one when I want to run a mix through pedals or as a preamp for contact-mics.
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 am

Chankgeez wrote:I know you said that Shure mics are too expensive for you, but I'd probably save up and get one. I'm sure it'd last longer than that cheaper Beyer. :idk:

All depends on what you're really wanting out of a mic though. That Beyer is probably good enough for what it is.

Thanks Chankgeez - it's just for use at home for recording acoustic guitar and glockenspiel occasionally.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

crochambeau wrote:
What is your DI box? I immediately think Direct Injection, are you talking about a passive DI or an interface of some sort?

What does A/D duty on your computer?

The reason I ask these questions is that dynamics mics have needs. They benefit from a preamp ASAP to get a really puny signal pumped up. My concern is that if you're plugging a passive DI into a line level input on a comupter interface, the noise you're complaining about might be happening there, and you could throw a thousand dollar mic at it and still have the same stupid noise floor issue.

Sorry , I should've explained - it's a Scarlett 6i6 so it has two pre amps (XLR and 1/4 inch input) so would that be OK? I've got clean boost pedals I can run it through first if I need more volume. I won;t put it through line level, thanks for warning me.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

ognoy wrote:For recording acoustic instruments i'd save up a little more and get a condencer mic.
Looking at Amazon you can get a SE Electronics X1 for 90£. It's double your budget, but is probably more bang for the buck than the Beyerdynamic mic.

If it's not a stupid question, what does a condenser microphone do for acoustic that is different to a dynamic?
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:22 am

actualidiot wrote:But then he'd need phantom power, ognoy.
- but yeah, save up and get a better mic :)

I think my 6i6 interface provides phantom power - yes I've checked it says it has 48V phantom power - is that the right amount for a condenser microphone? Having said that, saving up rarely works for me, the money always gets spent on something sensible and more important (basically anything my family needs that isn't guitar related), so I occasionally selfishly spend what I have when I have it because I know it will get re-purposed for something that is morally more important but considerably less fun if I don't spend it first :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:26 pm

OK, yeah, I think that interface is far superior to the worst case scenario I was outlining above.

I co-sign the recommendation to look into condensers. There's a glut of cheap condensers on amazon, though I don't know if my looking at it stateside changes anything. I cannot attest to quality, and there ARE horror stories, but for found money gear it might be worth a shot.

If I was in your shoes and hell bent on a dynamic, I've been curious about the GLS ES57, mainly to shoot out with a real 57. That said, I tend to grab condensers when recording acoustic source, unless it's already loud.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Phantom power is always 48V :)
About the economy part - I get that. If 43£ is what you've got to spend, then get that Beyer mic, it'll most likely be fine for you and your son to make recordings with. A condenser mic provides greater detail (usually) which is why ognoy and croc are suggesting one for acoustic instruments. However, due to them needing phantom power, you wouldn't be able to run one through your pedals, without getting something like a mixer (do you have one?) with an fx loop in it.

Just a suggestion: you should be able to get a used sm57/58 or something similar for 43£ on ebay. Could you get something from amazon for your family, that could justify you pulling the 30 from somewhere else? I don't mean to get into your personal life or anything, but that's what I'd do.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:36 pm

actualidiot wrote:Phantom power is always 48V :)
About the economy part - I get that. If 43£ is what you've got to spend, then get that Beyer mic, it'll most likely be fine for you and your son to make recordings with. A condenser mic provides greater detail (usually) which is why ognoy and croc are suggesting one for acoustic instruments. However, due to them needing phantom power, you wouldn't be able to run one through your pedals, without getting something like a mixer (do you have one?) with an fx loop in it.

Just a suggestion: you should be able to get a used sm57/58 or something similar for 43£ on ebay. Could you get something from amazon for your family, that could justify you pulling the 30 from somewhere else? I don't mean to get into your personal life or anything, but that's what I'd do.

This!
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Tech & Recording