Video/Movie Editing Software!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Video/Movie Editing Software!

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Hey folks,

What video editing software do you guys use for your videos (music or other types)? I downloaded the free VSDC and am super impressed with the workflow. Previous video editors I've used (and another I downloaded) were not nearly as intuitive. In about 5-10 minutes I uploaded 2 videos from two different sources (nothing I filmed just mp4s and avis) and a separate audio file I created. I added some fx and did some cropping on one video and left the other one alone. Everything was stretched to sync with each other. Super easy and I didn't use any tutorials. What do you guys use? Any recommendations? I'm going to see if WAX FX can be plugged into VSDC.

Here's an example of what someone did for VSDC:

Regards ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Video/Movie Editing Software!

Postby horseblanket » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 am

So, this sort of thing is my day job.

For free software that is incredibly full featured you should be checking out Davinci Resolve. For years it has been the world's most widely used color grading system, but a few years back it was acquired by Black Magic design and they have turned it into a full blown NLE and Color System. FOR FREE (up to 4k output). And what's even crazier that have just built in a huge DAW for audio and they offer a free and fully compatible composting package called Fusion - which has been used on tons of major hollywood features. Seriously, if you are interested in making things, this software is too good to pass up.
Resolve here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/
Fusion here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

It's got it all. Editing, Color, VFX and Audio.

Go get it.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:33 am

horseblanket wrote:So, this sort of thing is my day job.

For free software that is incredibly full featured you should be checking out Davinci Resolve. For years it has been the world's most widely used color grading system, but a few years back it was acquired by Black Magic design and they have turned it into a full blown NLE and Color System. FOR FREE (up to 4k output). And what's even crazier that have just built in a huge DAW for audio and they offer a free and fully compatible composting package called Fusion - which has been used on tons of major hollywood features. Seriously, if you are interested in making things, this software is too good to pass up.
Resolve here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/
Fusion here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

It's got it all. Editing, Color, VFX and Audio.

Go get it.

This is the kind of info I was looking for ... I will download ... any good examples of its use?
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:36 am

Nevermind, it seems a lot of movies used it, as you said ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby horseblanket » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 am

And commercials.

Let me know if you need any help navigating Resolve. I have been using it for a few years.
I am just now trying to get my head around Fusion.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:48 am

So horseblanket, what kind of video projects are you working on? Any interest in the upcoming Kodak Super 8?
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby horseblanket » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 pm

You know, super 8 is cool and all and I used to shoot a lot of it but it took me a while to realize I like big cinematic pictures so my tastes in cameras has gone in the other direction where I want full frame and nicer glass. Super 8 can be a great effect but I really love 35mm. Pm'd you about my projects.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:36 pm

I use iMovie and I always have problems with the audio drifting. I can't really recommend that at all.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby GardenoftheDead » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I did this for a bit in high school/college but the only programs I've used were Final Cut and Avid Media Composer which are both pricy and difficult to learn. Resolve seems to offer quite a bit for a free program though so I'll second that suggestion.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby voteharveydent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I've been using Premiere Pro by Adobe for years now, along with after effects, media encoder, et al. They are very good programs and offer a lot of flexibility as well as easy crossover from program to program additionally the workflow to get into a professional grade DAW such as Pro Tools is pretty solid. If you are trying to really get into this stuff Adobe might be something to check out. As previously mentioned DaVinci is great but you may find it very taxing on your computer depending on your system, the Adobe software is generally less taxing on your computer, but I've certainly had crashes on my MacBook Pro.

If you are trying to go balls deep in this field, Avid Media Composer is pretty much industry standard at this point but it does come with a steeper learning curve. About 10% of major productions are cut on Premiere Pro with basically the other 90% being done on Media Composer.
voteharveydent

interested
interested

Postby horseblanket » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Completely agree. Premiere and After effects are my daily tools. However, I do pay an annual fee for them. I threw Resolve into the mix because it is free and it's getting better everyday. Also, the fact that it is a flat out amazing color correction software also helps.

Avid on the other hand I am not such a huge fan of. Its great as a tool for team rendering on a single project and it is fantastic at organization and files management but it just doesn't have the depth of the Adobe suite or the Black Magic tools. With avid you get an editor. With the others you get end to end solutions for sound, picture, vfx, etc.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby moid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:25 pm

I use Adobe After Effects and Audition for my recordings - I film myself tapping something in view that will make a nice spike in the audio track, and record separate audio to the video, but use the video audio to help line up the recording I make via microphones or straight into the PC. I fix the audio in Audition to get rid of hiss and to fade my voice in and out with guitar playing. I probably should use Premiere, but I started in After Effects so many years ago that I can work in it without thinking. Premiere has improved considerably over the past few years; it used to be appalling to use.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am

I just started using Filmora, which I downloaded the trial, made a video and was pretty happy with it. Paid the $60 to export without the watermark. Definitely a more amateur/easy to use interface, which I was able to understand and use quickly. Definitely more tweakability under the hood than I expected when I dug a bit deeper. Has a lot of corny presets built in, but inputing your own music/fonts/etc is easy. I recommend it, but I am definitely going to check out horseblanket's recommendation. Sounds super legit. I am just making demo videos with my phone's camera and a Roland:Go interface, but if I wanted to go for something more it sounds like it would be a sweet deal.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby GardenoftheDead » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Tech & Recording