Drum Machines vs Sequencers ... Samples, One Hits, & Stuff

Moderators: PumpkinPieces, metalmariachi

Re: Drum Machines vs Sequencers ... Samples, One Hits, & Stu

Postby BoatRich » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 pm

How's the SP404 for drum machine uses? Also looking at a MC505? I mostly want it to do slow and weird shit behind drones with samples/sparse drums.
BoatRich

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 am

if u want the sequencer, the SP one is not so great. otherwise its a fantastic sampler.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am

I'm a total interloper on this thread at this point, but chiming in to say maybe check out the Elektron Analog Rytm if you're still looking for a solution to your drum machine vs sampler issues.

I was previously using a Drumbrute, which is a very cool drum machine, especially for the money, but I sold it and upgraded to the Rytm because of its integration of samples. Despite being analog, the DB had some of the issues of that realm, mainly that it was a little too manual and basic. Presets only remembered step/accent positions, not knob positions, and the drums themselves really didn't sound particularly awesome on their own, rather only getting there once I ran them through at least one or two external effects.

The Rytm has all of the awesome analog sounds, but also tons of effects and sample integration. You can layer a sample underneath the analog sound, or get rid of the analog sound completely and only use a sample. It doesn't have the degree of sample manipulation of the Octatrack (their full-on, hoss sampler) or the Digitakt (awesome, but a little more budget and thus a few downgrades like mono samples), but you can do PLENTY. Start/end, pitch etc, and you can certainly trigger samples to occur at fixed points in your sequence like the OP mentioned (though I'm not sure on length. I think you can go pretty long?).

So yep, just wanted to throw that out there. I haven't had mine for long, but I LOVE it.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 am

I've always done my sampling on the computer until very recently. I loaded some clips of a tape loop into my Electribe Sampler 2, and got some pretty cool samples going... and then I turned off the power and it ERASED ALL MY WORK. Apparently you have to menu-dive and tell it to "export all sample" or some shit.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

Ugh yeah I feel like every piece of synth hardware I've ever used has had one of those learn-by-losing-everything moments. Fucking blowwwws.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording