Splitter for my interface master outs?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Splitter for my interface master outs?

Postby friendship » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 am

I have a Zoom R16 that I use as an audio interface. It has two 1/4" line outs that are going to my monitors. What I'd like to do is split this stereo out to both my monitors and a copy of one (ideally both) channels to pedals and rack stuff, which I then want to run back into the interface's inputs. I have a passive Radial reamp box that I intend to use to match impedance (though sadly it only has one input so if I wanted to reamp both channels I'd have to upgrade I guess). I have some questions:

1) What kind of splitters are out there that can do this safely with the R16? Am I looking for a patch bay here?

2) I've done this before, but forgot exactly how to avoid feedback loops in this scenario. This one particular signal flow puzzle always turns me around. Does this flow make sense:
Zoom master output left -> splitter of some kind -> radial box -> input 1 on Zoom. Create track in DAW, turn OFF input monitoring, assign track to input 1, arm & record? Or is this a feedback bomb waiting to happen?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Splitter for my interface master outs?

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:02 am

u could prob get away with using any kind of splitter.
sometimes u get some kind of loss w/ those simple cheap like hosa ones. but most of the time they work fine.
u could use another type of splitter box like an active one, then you'd have definitely keep a strong signal. something like a DI box has dual outputs that you can use.
a passive one would prob work fine too.
a patch bay would work too and give you some routing options that u may or may not need?
a small mixer like device w/ multi outs would work too. might be cool if u want to use the EQ and faders and stuff.

u may not even need a reamp if you are just going from line out back to line in. i might be missing the bigger picture, but i thought reamping was for taking a line signal and changing the impedance to match if you were going to send it to an amp.
wouldn't hurt tho.
does your reamp have multi outs? u could prob use that for your split if it does.

2. your flow sounds good to me. the key is the input monitoring off. as long as you cut the signal you are recording from going back out the main outs as u are recording it, u should be good!
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Well the Reamp is because I'll be sending my line level signal through some guitar pedals which don't tend to take line very well. Sadly it does not have multi-outs, but most of my pedals are mono anyway

Only downside to getting a patchbay I think is all the cables I would have to invest in to hook my shit up. Also there's no guarantee I wouldn't need to pull pedals from it, so it might not be ideal.

As to a passive splitter, would something like a little four channel headphone amp work? Would it be messed up to run my balanced monitor cables through that? I guess since they have one input I could run my left master output through that and have the the right output go straight to the monitor, since I'll only be able to use one channel.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:21 pm

actually i think this is a lot simpler…couldn't u just use the headphone outs on your zoom as your 2nd output?
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:56 pm

That's... not a bad idea.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 pm

I've done this with my Zoom R8.
But I don't use monitors(don't own any), just headset. So I used one of the outputs.
Then I had to pan the track I wanted to use my pedals on to the output I used on the interface.
All tracks I didn't want to mess with I had to either mute or pan the other way.
The new track I also had to pan the other way, to avoid making a feedback loop.

It would have been much easier if I had an audio interface with more than 2(stereo) outputs.
But it worked and it was a fun thing to do. I used this method to add some dirt/grit/"organic feel" to some vst-synths on a techno/trance song I was working on.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording