Query about audio interface - 6i6 focusrite

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Query about audio interface - 6i6 focusrite

Postby moid » Tue May 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Hello ILF people

I've been lucky enough to get more Amazon vouchers in a bonus from work than I was expecting and it's just enough to pay for a Focusrite 6i6. I don't have any experience with decent audio interfaces (I have a Behringer Xenyx 302 and that is rather temperamental and not fun to work with) and I'd like to spend the vouchers on something that can record four guitar inputs at the same time. From what I can see, that should be possible with the 6i6. Would any of you recommend this interface? It seems to have great reviews, plus comes with some software I'd like to try but wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (Ableton Lite). Would you know if it can record into Adobe Audition (all four tracks at the same time) and is there anything special I need to do to enable multitrack recording? I'm using a windows 7 PC. Or is the bundled Ableton software better for that sort of recording? I've never managed to get the Xenyx to record in Audition, so I record in Audacity and then save the files to WAV and import into Audition (why am I using Audition? - my company offers a home licence of all adobe software for free so I'm using it, and I like it - I did try Reaper but couldn't get the interface to work with my brain). Any opinions would be lovely thanks.
moid

experienced
experienced

Re: Query about audio interface - 6i6 focusrite

Postby Derelict78 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:22 pm

The 6i6 only has 2 preamps so you would need 2 more to record 4 guitars at the same time.
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Wed May 04, 2016 7:54 am

Yea you will want something that will do at least 4 track at a time, unless you have some extra mic pre amps laying around. When I was using a interface with only two mic pres I could add two more using my super old tascam 4 track as preamps. I currently use a Focusrite SAFFIRE-PRO-40 and it works and sounds great and my buddy owns a 6i6 and he hasn't had any problems.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Wed May 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks Derelict78 and bronzetalon for replying so quickly! I thought that the extra line inputs at the back could be used to record additional inputs as well? I don't know much about recording so I apologise for the stupid questions. In the SoundonSound review it said

"Two of the 6i6's inputs feature mic preamps and are fitted with 'combi' sockets that can accept XLR mic-level signals, or line-level signals on the centre jack section. Phantom power is applied to both using a switch (which lights up in red when the phantom power is on) mounted between the channels. The line inputs can also accept high-Z instrument sources via switching in the bundled MixControl software.

The other inputs include a stereo pair of line jacks on the rear panel,"

So from what you both say, only the two front sockets are suitable for recording guitars with? Could I use a booster pedal (like an LPB1 or Xotic BB Preamp for example) on any guitar that was to be plugged into the rear line jacks as a substitute for a pre-amp? Or is that wrong?

Also would you know if the two sockets on the front are mono or can take stereo? If they are both stereo I could probably get a Y cable or make a mixer pedal that would combine two mono sources into one stereo feed.

Or have I got this wrong and I should be looking at a device like an AKAI EIE? I can't afford a SAFFIRE-PRO-40, although it does look awesome :)

Thanks for your help
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Derelict78 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 am

So from what you both say, only the two front sockets are suitable for recording guitars with? Could I use a booster pedal (like an LPB1 or Xotic BB Preamp for example) on any guitar that was to be plugged into the rear line jacks as a substitute for a pre-amp?

Yes and yes
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Thu May 05, 2016 9:30 am

Yes I guess I figured you were micing everything. If you are going direct the you can use the line level inputs like you said with a preamp.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Great, thank you both of you - sorry I should've explained I was going direct (I don't have any decent microphones for recording amps with). I'm off to buy the 6i6 :) Thanks again!
moid

experienced
experienced

Return to Tech & Recording