Single mic for drum recording

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Single mic for drum recording

Postby foomanfat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Watching Reverb's video with Brian Deck on micing drums (https://youtu.be/GPPhmyBIi6k) has me jonesing for a single drum mic. My stuff wil never sound that good, because I will never have all his gear, but what can I look for in my station?
Anyone have experience with single micing drums? What mic should I look at? Looking to spend around or less than $400.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Single mic for drum recording

Postby wafl » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:23 pm

I would probably say to go for a Rode nt2a. They have a switchable pickup pattern which is helpful for the one mic application. If say the toms are coming in too loud in omni you can put it in cardioid and have the null face the toms. It gives you a lot more to play with to find the right sound. The singer in my band has one and it sounds really good on guitar amps and vocals as well so it will be a good all around sort of mic. Disclaimer though I've only used it as an overhead.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby foomanfat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.
I was looking at the Audio Technica AT2050 for being multi-pattern, as well.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wafl » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:43 pm

From what I've read the Audio Technica capsules are really peaky in the highs so you might end up with overbearing cymbals
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby GardenoftheDead » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:16 pm

GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby weatherbox » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:18 pm

What kind of room are you recording drums in? That'd have a lot to say about what kind of mic I'd pick. The AT4047 would be my choice from their lineup. Genuinely good mic for a lot of things. I think the Cascade Fathead is a cool sounding inexpensive ribbon that can sound really cool on drums. I was doing a session in another studio and had my Coles 4038s with me for overheads and one of them got blown up - in order to keep things moving I just grabbed a Fathead from the studio's locker and put it up, a little EQ and it did just fine against the Coles in a pretty simple 3 mic setup.
weatherbox

interested
interested

Postby Decibill » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 pm

I've used the AT4050 A LOT. You can get a used one for $500. It's an extremely versatile mic. No weird peaky stuff, very adaptable. You can also get into a used C414 for $500. Both will be long time work horse mic's.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby jamesmikelly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Beyerdynamic m160 as an overhead, like 2 and a half feet above the snare. It sounds really balanced and I love my M160 in many other situations so that's my vote.
jamesmikelly

committed
committed

Postby duffmcshark » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 am

I always like to recommend trying out your dynamic mics in overhead duties for a slightly different flavor. EV 635a is a fun one if you have a decent enough room for an omni mic.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Return to Tech & Recording