In need of advice: looking to try an amateur recording

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: In need of guidance...

Postby HAVN » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Does this seem like a good deal for a pair of AKG P420s? https://reverb.com/item/2066730-akg-per ... le-or-pair
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 am

Some great answers in this thread! Relevant to my interests pending my cashflow getting better :facepalm:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby HAVN » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Managed to get the pair of condensers for a good price. Need to pick up some stands and cables and I think I have everything to get off the ground.

Thanks to all for the advice.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby HAVN » Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 am

Just wanted to followup on this thread for those interested. I finally sourced the stands and cables I needed and hit record this morning to demo my drums. I too get along well with the preamps in the interface.

I confess I don't really know what I'm doing, but I have four mics on the kit: dynamic on the kick, dynamic on the snare, and the two large diaphragm condensers overhead in the Glyn Johns configuration. Haven't moved things around too much so not really sure if anything is out of phase, but sounds ok to my ears.

Within 30-40 minutes I think I had something quite decent. My plan at this point is to try to track a few songs toward the end of this month, sit on them for a bit, and if I like them, pay to have them professionally mixed and mastered.
HAVN

committed
committed

Re: In need of advice: looking to try an amateur recording

Postby HAVN » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Well, I suspect that the process is going to take longer than just a week as I'm relearning proper meter as I undertake this. I've already shared this demo with Disarm D'Arcy, but here it is, for the masses: https://soundcloud.com/le_lac_huron/waltz-snapshot

Some mistakes but I'm learning a lot by doing. I wound up putting one of the P420s on my 4x12", as well as an SM57. Truth be told I think I like the sound of the P420 better for my purposes. I'm also sitting in a chair 6-8 feet away from the amplifier (3-4 volume), and am playing my hollowbody. I've got another P420 pointed right around where the neck meets the body, so it's picking up the ambience of the room, but also adding an acoustic sound / attack of the finger picking to the guitar in the recording.

For drums, I used only two mics, as I didn't want to move them from my amplifier: one P420 overhead closer to the ride 3-4 feet above the kit, and a PVM 45i (had this mic since I was in middle school) on the kick with a tunnel blanket. One other thing I've noticed is that I like hotrods better than drum sticks to complement the style of my guitar playing.

To save money I'm using GB for now, though I may explore Logic later. Overall I'm pleased with the results.
HAVN

committed
committed

Re: In need of advice: looking to try an amateur recording

Postby HAVN » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I should add that if anyone has any suggestions based on this sample I'm all ears. See what I did there?

Listening over I can tell the mics on my guitar cab were slightly out of phase, but again, learning process. :)
HAVN

committed
committed

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording