Pedal Demos via Zoom Q8

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pedal Demos via Zoom Q8

Postby HighDeaf1080p » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi guys...

I have a Zoom Q8 Handycam recorder, with both an interchangeable stereo A/B mic capsule, and a shotgun/ambient capsule. I just ordered an extension module for the capsules so that I can have the capsules mounted up to 10 feet away from the camera.

This will allow me to set the mic capsule at or near the amp when playing electric guitar, and then aim the camera elsewhere. I expect to start (after a lot of practice) doing some pedal combination demos, maybe single pedal demos for more complex effects pedals, and some general loop demos using combinations of pedals on my board.

If you were to surf to a pedal demo like that, that was showing how four different effects sounded when combined under given settings, what would be most useful to you for me to be showing from the camera's perspective? Unfortunately the video quality of the Q8 is really just for reference. It is 4K resolution, but of such a wide angle that its difficult to show much detail. In the one video I've shot with the Q8, I just aimed it at my guitar, so what I was playing could be easily seen, and so the attached mic capsule was aimed at the source of sound (since it was acoustic). I did have considerable difficulty getting the volume high enough in the video, without the level meters maxing while recording for some reason...but while its quiet, I feel like the sound quality was very clean and detailed. If any of you can give me a critique of sound quality from your end that would be awesome! I'm not sure how much more I can push the volume before distortion happens, but I'm going to try to get it louder if I can.

The extension unit will allow the mic to be near the amp, aimed at the speaker... and I think the shotgun capsule will do a better job than this stereo A/B capsule at isolating the guitar sound from the rest of the room ambient noises.

I feel like the most useful thing would be to have each of the pedals that are engaged during a given sequence being filmed separately, and spliced into a grid of videos so that any knob changes etc would be seen happening in real time, but I don't currently have the necessary additional equipment to pull that off, whatever that equipment might be...

So if I just used the wide angled lens on the Q8 for now, is just an overall shot of the whole pedal board the best thing to show, and then list out specific pedal settings in the description and maybe why those settings were chosen to work with other pedal settings, etc? I dunno...just a total noobie at video making looking for some suggestions and possible advice. Something that's not going to require a lot of video editing know-how, or additional equipment or software purchases anytime soon.
All the pedals...the jolly, candy-like pedals...:drool:

http://www.soundcloud.com/highdeaf1080p

Comey for president 2016, 2020, 2024, etc.
HighDeaf1080p

experienced
experienced

Re: Pedal Demos via Zoom Q8

Postby HighDeaf1080p » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Ok, first quick test of electric guitar through the amp and into the Q8 via a shotgun mic capsule.

Any critique of sound quality on whatever speakers you happen to listen to youtube on, is very welcome. But not of the playing...I already KNOW that sucks. Lol.

HighDeaf1080p

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:40 am

Don't know the electric you're using, the amp, the effects, etc. So can't qualify on the sound per se cogently. Sounds acceptable in the sense I'm not hearing string strikes and usual small room demoitis, but past that, I don't know how thin/beefy the amp etc sounds in the room, or any of that, and no grounding data.

Big thing on a pedal demo is it's about the pedal IMO. If you can clearly show what you're playing, bonus. But....sounding good, then showing pedal settings (and explaining them), then from there.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HighDeaf1080p » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 am

Good advice, thank you. I would not be doing demo's about specific pedals...more like demos about certain sounds and how to get them with a combination of pedal types.

In other words, it wouldn't matter which phaser someone was using...the demo would be about how to use a phaser with an overdrive and a delay, and how different settings affect the final sound...so, not going into what the regen control on the delay does, because anyone who has a delay should know...but explaining how the rate of the phaser works in conjunction with the rate on the delay to create various effects, and the tricks someone can do using that combo.

I agree with your assessment. 1. Sound good. (if it doesn't sound good, who cares how to get that sound) 2. Pedal settings...even if its not the pedal someone is using, as long as I'm explaining what the settings change and how that interacts with the whole.

Sounds like I should try setting the camera above the pedal board first, and see if you can see what's happening with enough detail. If not, then we get into showing each separate pedal as settings are adjusted, and then editing the different clips together.

Thank you for the input!

HighDeaf1080p

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:17 am

Yep. I'd also consider recording audio to your DAW and snycing later, and ditching camera audio altogether if it doesn't get you where you need to go.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HighDeaf1080p » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 am

Yea, I'm staring to come to the conclusion that the Q8 is a great tool for doing something other than what I'm trying to use it for.

I think all the things I want to do are better accomplished with a DAW...which I do not currently own.

HighDeaf1080p

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:56 pm

You want a DAW for the audio, then sync the audio to the video from the Zoom.

I've been able to use the video feature on my venerable standalone Sony digital camera from 7-8 years ago and sync audio from DAW like that, but I don't do many videos as disfigured cripples ain't photogenic.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording