Condenser mic of doom

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Condenser mic of doom

Postby louderthangod » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:30 pm

I'm looking for a good condenser mic for recording doom metal guitar and bass. I've been using two mics, a Sennheiser 421 up close and a Rode NT1a about 6' away. I'd like to replace the Rode. I'm considering upgrading the Rode by having that Michael Joly guy mod it but I'm also up for getting a new condenser up to about a grand. Any suggestions? I wish I could afford a U87 or even a U47. I'd consider using a ribbon but I've never used one of those off the cab and I'd like to keep the close/far combo.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Re: Condenser mic of doom

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:05 pm

The cascade Fat Head II are great cheap ribbon mics aimed at guitar. Only $379 with an upgraded transformer, or $229 stock.

If you get a matched pair you can do one room one up close. I used to even use them as drum room mics.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 am

I have a Soundelux U195, which has been touted over the years as being a quality all-purpose condenser. I don't think it sounds amazing on everything (vocals, acoustic guitars not particularly amazing), but it does sound great on guitar and bass cabs. Fat/norm and pad switches handy for working with low end / spl issues.

Soundelux changed to Bock a while back. Not sure if he's still making the 195 or not, but you probably could get a used one under either brand name for a decent price.

BTW have you ever used any of the Audix D stuff for close-mic? I've heard of people using the D2 for good low end in doom/metal type applications, but I've never done so myself. Just curious, since they're pretty inexpensive mics.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 pm

popvulture wrote:BTW have you ever used any of the Audix D stuff for close-mic? I've heard of people using the D2 for good low end in doom/metal type applications, but I've never done so myself. Just curious, since they're pretty inexpensive mics.

We have a bunch at the office I rarely use them since I tend to prefer SM57s as the dynamic. I can do a shootout for you one of these days. Any other of the standard dynamics you want to hear? I'll throw up a few positions of the SM57, a D2, a Royer R-122. I could also throw up an AKG 414, Sennheiser MD421, E609. We have some new high SPL DPA mics I've been meaning to try on an amp. Anything else you can think of?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Decibill » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:25 am

A C414 XLS is a great sounding all purpose, classic workhorse. Extremely versatile mic and can do almost anything you need.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:52 pm

DRodriguez wrote:
popvulture wrote:BTW have you ever used any of the Audix D stuff for close-mic? I've heard of people using the D2 for good low end in doom/metal type applications, but I've never done so myself. Just curious, since they're pretty inexpensive mics.

We have a bunch at the office I rarely use them since I tend to prefer SM57s as the dynamic. I can do a shootout for you one of these days. Any other of the standard dynamics you want to hear? I'll throw up a few positions of the SM57, a D2, a Royer R-122. I could also throw up an AKG 414, Sennheiser MD421, E609. We have some new high SPL DPA mics I've been meaning to try on an amp. Anything else you can think of?

Since the conversation has veered into dynamic territory: SM-7 & RE20?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Do not currently have an SM-7 plenty of RE 20s though. Anything else?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Audix i5?
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm

+1 on cascade fat man :thumb:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:33 pm

crochambeau wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:

Since the conversation has veered into dynamic territory: SM-7 & RE20?

RE20! Yes! (RE320 is a close neighbor, not as good though from what I hear)

Heard good things about the AKG D12 (old ones) Like this:

And why not the old E/V 666 (close to the RE20 I think):

Those are just things I came across when looking for a similar reason.

cascade fat head looks nice though
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:09 pm

lordgalvar wrote:cascade fat head looks nice though

i've been messing with stereo in my DAW and been using two fat heads as blumlein pair. ribbons sound so good
Attachments
f17ae805-981a-409d-a2d0-fd141d4d763b.jpg
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Dang, UG...

just dang

even a nice mic stand...

mine was 2 for 10 on eBay haha
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Well, that blumlein clip comes with the fat heads when you order the pair. Also, I love blumlein stereo pairs, very dramatic sounding stereo image. Fun trivia, the guy that invented the blumlein stereo pair technique did it before bidirectional mics were really a thing, and he didn't even own one. He did it using a 4 cardioid mics.

lordgalvar, I wish I had a vintage D112, but I can throw up a modern one.

And waltdog, I don't have any Audix i5's
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Shiet. I'm not using mine much, maybe I could ship mine to ya on a loan for the shootout then?
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby louderthangod » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 pm

I have an SM7 and like my 421 a lot more on guitar and I have a pair of 57's and I just don't care for them at all with the lower tuned, heavy fuzz stuff. The i5 does a bit better job and the Heil PR30 is my second favorite of my mic's behind the 421. I also have an e902 for kick that I'm not using but have never tried on guitar, might be worth a shot.
In another thread mentioned a ribbon for the figure 8 pattern of getting the room and the AEA R84 seems like it might be a good fit. I'm going to have a chance with some fancy mics in two weeks so I'll see what I like there before buying one for the home studio.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to Tech & Recording