Condenser mic of doom

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Condenser mic of doom

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 pm

waltdogg wrote:Shiet. I'm not using mine much, maybe I could ship mine to ya on a loan for the shootout then?

Thanks! It's up to you, completely not necessary. First, let me double check to make sure I don't have one.

I'll be doing this when I get back to work in January.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:50 pm

louderthangod wrote:I'm looking for a good condenser mic for recording doom metal guitar and bass. I've been using two mics, a Sennheiser 421 up close and a Rode NT1a about 6' away. I'd like to replace the Rode. I'm considering upgrading the Rode by having that Michael Joly guy mod it but I'm also up for getting a new condenser up to about a grand. Any suggestions? I wish I could afford a U87 or even a U47. I'd consider using a ribbon but I've never used one of those off the cab and I'd like to keep the close/far combo.

Ribbon mics are better pulled off because they're fragile and tend to have a really boomy proximity effect. They're also expensive unless you buy a broken one on eBay and install a new ribbon.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MaggotBrainNY » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:35 pm

I would agree with those that recommended a 414. 414 has actually become one of my favorite bass cab mics as of late. It's cool for guitars and basically everything else too. Very flexible. I love how much padding you can apply to the mic for recording crazy loud shit.

I like the Shure KSM 32 and 44 as well. Similar flexibility in the 44.
MaggotBrainNY

committed
committed

Postby jamesmikelly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 am

I love my SEX1T. It's best on acoustic guitar but I've yet to record something with it that didn't sound good.
jamesmikelly

committed
committed

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording