This can't be good...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

This can't be good...

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Woke up this morning to a rather interesting e-mail from Avid.

"Important Notice About Your Product
Dear Pro Tools Customer,

Thank you for your support over the years. We wanted to let you know about an important change to our Pro Tools® upgrade program that affects you. After December 31, 2015, all Pro Tools upgrades will only be available through an Avid® All Access plan. We will no longer be making standalone upgrades available.

How do I upgrade in 2015?

As a Pro Tools 9/10 owner, you can upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $199 through December 31, 2015 and get the first year of the soon-to-be-retired Annual Upgrade and Support Plan included with your purchase. This plan includes:

• Access to all future Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new All Access Annual Upgrade Plan
• Access to a collection of 17 bonus plug-ins and support, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new All Access Annual Plug-in and Support Plan

You can purchase the Annual Upgrade and Support Plan for Pro Tools through the Avid Store or your local reseller before this plan is retired at the end of the year.

What happens if I don’t upgrade in 2015 or let my plan expire?
You’ll still be able to upgrade your software at any time, but the price of a new or reinstated Annual Upgrade Plan will increase to $299 starting in 2016. This plan gives you access to all new Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year. If you want access to the bonus plug-ins and support, add the Annual Plug-in and Support Plan for $99/year.

Can I still use my software?
Yes, if you choose not to upgrade your software or renew an expiring plan, your Pro Tools perpetual license will continue to work. You just won’t be able to upgrade your license or receive software updates. That said, if you decide that you want to upgrade at a later time, just purchase the $299 Annual Upgrade Plan to get current.

We wish you many more years of creative enjoyment.

Cheers,
Avid

Thank you"

Seems like nothing but a money grab to me and makes it really difficult to upgrade and update out of their choke hold annual program.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: This can't be good...

Postby weatherbox » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:16 am

Super annoying. I was thinking of going from 10HD to 12HD while I could still get a perpetual license with no fuss, but I'm a little wary - will updates including bug fixes be categorized among the releases only available through the subscription plan? I really hope this blows up in their face and they ditch it quick, though I'm not hopeful. Adobe pulled the same shit and I hate it.

This stings particularly as a PTHD user. LOADS of studios are still using HD/Accel systems on late model Mac Pros. The systems work, there's no need to update; the environment is not one where (non-vanity) studios can go throwing tons of money at non-essential upgrades. For me, my system is as far is it can go without spending huge money. I don't want the next several years of upgrades, because I'm not ready to buy HDX. I don't need it, my clients don't need it, and it's fucking expensive.

Of course we can keep using our old systems, which is what I'll likely do, but they really are selling it as do it now... before we make it hurt.
weatherbox

interested
interested

Postby GardenoftheDead » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Sounds like Avid to me.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fever606 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:57 am

Speaking as someone who has to deal with their shit on a daily basis, Fuck Avid (and subscription software models, but mostly Avid).
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:09 pm

My feelings towards most digital creative suites/games/online experiences, are that at any given time they will just change usually for the worse. Or they will just stop existing altogether. I find it all to be pretty difficult artistically.

I've tried to keep it a little more in the physical realm lately. DAW's are just so damn convenient though.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Tech & Recording