recording guitar - my take.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

recording guitar - my take.

Postby tuj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:43 pm

I know there are a MILLION different opinions on how to best record guitar. This is just what happened to work really well for me.

http://stompclubblog.blogspot.com/2015/ ... r-amp.html

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Re: recording guitar - my take.

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Be careful with that hard left right trick. You might loose a little too much once you sum to mono. Even though you have the TS1 in the center, the tone from the stereo to mono change may be a little drastic. That said, if it sounds good, it is good.

While mentioning the royers, you may also want to note that flipping the mic around 180º will give you a brighter tone to play around with. One of the tricks I like to do in a live situation is to put a royer backwards at a 45º to the cone from the outside edge to get a nice bright lead tone, on the back of the cabinet I put a 57 on the rear directly across from it at a 45º angle with the phase flipped for a tubbier,roomier sound I can raise to help it sit back a bit and fill out a mix. Mix the two to taste depending on the role in the song. Truly an endless amount of ways to mic a guitar amp.

But the true trick in guitar recording is to invest in a tone tank

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 pm

DRodriguez wrote:But the true trick in guitar recording is to invest in a tone tank

Fuck, I had this idea years ago, though my take involved a grid of rails on the front of the amp that the mic would travel along, never did make a prototype of it though.
D.o.S. wrote:What the fuck? You're fucking English how do you not like Pink Floyd? Disastrous dude, cultural depravity at its worst
SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Awesome idea that tone tank. My missus is my tone tank though. I've developed a system of foot signals so she knows where to move the mic. It works well. Though if I had a separate control room setup up I would probably need one of those tone tanks.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MaggotBrainNY » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Be careful with that hard left right trick. You might loose a little too much once you sum to mono. Even though you have the TS1 in the center, the tone from the stereo to mono change may be a little drastic. That said, if it sounds good, it is good.

While mentioning the royers, you may also want to note that flipping the mic around 180º will give you a brighter tone to play around with. One of the tricks I like to do in a live situation is to put a royer backwards at a 45º to the cone from the outside edge to get a nice bright lead tone, on the back of the cabinet I put a 57 on the rear directly across from it at a 45º angle with the phase flipped for a tubbier,roomier sound I can raise to help it sit back a bit and fill out a mix. Mix the two to taste depending on the role in the song. Truly an endless amount of ways to mic a guitar amp.

But the true trick in guitar recording is to invest in a tone tank

Make sure you flip the polarity on the Royer (or any ribbon mic) if you're using the back side in order to get the best out of it. The front lobe is +, back is -.

http://www.royerlabs.com/2in1.html
MaggotBrainNY

committed
committed

Postby Invisible Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:46 am

Wut. I'm gonna train my kids to walk/crawl mics around the room. Hearing loss be damned.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby echoraven » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:45 am

DRodriguez wrote:...But the true trick in guitar recording is to invest in a tone tank...

Got a wild hair to look this up, $249!!! HOLY HECK!!! It is a remote control toy tank (even fires) with a mount on top of it. Worth it for the studio where time is paramount, but for the home recordist (that doesn't go direct) building one yourself, doesn't seem like it would take much effort.
echoraven

committed
committed

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 am

Yeah, I don't actually have one, just a running joke at the studio. They originally sold for $100, but then people kept buying them. I do it all by hand, making multiple trips between the control room and the studio. :cry:
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording