Cheap Recording Setup for Home - Interface? Mics?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Cheap Recording Setup for Home - Interface? Mics?

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:19 pm

OK nvm.
That mic is $200 now!

I got it for less than $100 from amazon like 3 years ago.
Wondering what happened...
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ancientbones » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:22 am

ramonovski wrote:Can't go wrong with CAD M179 for your condenser needs.
The multi patterns and the price is hard to beat IMO.

Interesting. I'll have to look up some demos or something after work. Never heard of a multi-pattern mic before.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby ancientbones » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:25 pm

woop woop. just scored a focusrite scarlett 2i4 for pretty cheap. gonna pick it up this weekend.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby stripes » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:39 am

dunno if yr still looking for a microphone, but i highly recommend this one http://advancedaudio.ca/collections/fet-microphones/products/cm47fet

it's based off the u47/made with high quality components/dirt cheap... i picked one up about 8 months ago and i use it for everything. my only condenser mic right now and it's all i need! advanced audio is an awesome handmade small mic business.. can't say enough good things about them.

:hello:
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Somewhat on the same topic (sorry for the hijack):

I do have a question for you though...what is a good cheap mic to capture bass guitar or a bass line from a synth from my amp. I'm not looking for anything HiFi or perfect...just good enough to register as bass (probably better for recording board but I'm here now haha). I have a unidyne III (USA made) I picked up really cheap and a shure sm-58 knock off kind of thing (Co9?)...ummm, looked at the RE20 and the e602 II but both are kinda more than I need I think (and I could pair with the unidyne or Co9 if I wanted for more range). Is the e602 even that good? I know the RE20 is loved...but yea, can't really justify it being the hack I am as a "musician" (noise maker really)...and I don't do direct in (all I gots is a Sunn Sorado). Oh yea, plan on running the drum machine through the bass amp and maybe my beta lead (splitting instruments for voicing and dirt).

My setup so far:
Some old Tascam digital 8-track that works fine. (probably going back to tape anyway)
Superlux matched studio pair that picks up treble and ambient really well...really good for the price I got them for
Electro Voice Co9 Cobalt
Shure Unidyne III
Some old EV Hamonica microphone that is made to be plugged into an amp
EV 643
EV 664 (had these two for a while...don't know...picked them up on a whim at a junk shop with the EV harmonica mic)
Yea...I know the 990 is pretty cool, but I've also looked at a AKG? AT2020 (is that right?)...but I don't know if I need them...not doing vocals cause I am tone deaf.

So the question, in less words, do I need a bass mic? What is a good one just to lay out some punk rock stuff? Not concerned with perfect reproduction, just want something solid that is versitile enough and hopefully $200 or less (I guess). EV 666 a good choice (I've heard good things about them)? Heard good things about the D12 too...just want sounds that are alive and move and not all in the same range...anything is better than my damn phone or gopro mic I guess. haha.

I've done great recordings with just the superlux and the cobalt...but it was a little lacking on the drums and bass...but they sounded great for live recordings and just using mic placement. So yea, all about minimal!

Yea, random thoughts!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 pm

I would highly recommend going direct in, especially for bass line and for your drum machine. Maybe add mic for general tone; but, for something in the low register, you want a little more clarity than you will get from the amp if you intend to hear any parts clearly.

DI especially for drum machine. You just won't get the same crack and full presence out of it going through a miked amp. Again, maybe mic the amp for additional flavor.

As far as the mics, never used an EV 666. And which D12 do you mean, there are a few D12's out there. The AKG D112 is magical. You'll be hard pressed to find a studio without one. The AT2020 mic is an AT mic (Audio Tecnica) not AKG. I've never been a huge fan of AT mics, but they have a following.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 pm

That's right about the AT (been reading too much and things are running together).

I guess I am just trying to record live...more like recording band practice than a track for release or something. Everything will be going at once. I really am not going for clean and clarity...just sound...like massive amounts of it noise and all...but clarity might be good on some of the stuff...

I'll just do line in but it always sounds wrong for some reason (I don't do effects or have a DAW or anything)...just making demo tapes for my own enjoyment...I'll just experiement with what's I got.

The D12 I was talking about was this one (but it goes for the same price as the RE20 which might get more use?) It is supposed to have a resonance chamber that the D112 doesn't have and extended voicing (don't know for sure...word of mouth):

I think the 666 was a mic that somehow influenced the design of the RE20. All heresay though...don't know for sure. Plus I could use the 666 to record my trogotronic 666... :lol: Supposedly a great sounding mic and has great mids for guitar and voice.

Eh, I guess I'll just go with what I gots...overthinking things I think (and procrastinating on actual work).

Thanks for all the help and bearing with my randomness.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording