Anemic Drum Machines

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Anemic Drum Machines

Postby WeHuntKings » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:00 pm

So we are recording the new record with an Alesis SR-16. It sounds good and clear, but they are coming across a little too...lean? Not enough punch and too much high end. We are just going straight into the board, I think there's a few preamps and other doohickeys. What are some tips to get some really fat drum machine sounds? I want them to sound like Godflesh.
WeHuntKings

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Anemic Drum Machines

Postby fever606 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Compress, compress, compress...

Overdrive / distortion and EQ are your friends, too...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I'll have to find it, but there's a message board post somewhere where one of the guys from the Austerity Program talks about how they make their drum machine sound so huge.

I'll find it.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Derelict78 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 pm

God flesh layered drums with an HR-16.
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/ju ... d=13015316
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 am

Layering, eq, compression, harmonic distortion, add low end via plugins like bark of dog (free). The beauty of drum machines is that they are not realistic necessarily, so you can mess with them to hell and back. If you want to send me a sample and give an idea of what your aim is, I can give you more specific advice.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tuj » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:44 am

compress, squash the fuck out of that thing.

Alesis Microlimiters are a good cheap way of doing this. So are the Tapco SQUEEZ compressor.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm

what u really want is parallel compression (dry/wet blend)
the blend is nice on different fx too w/ drums.

also, amp / cab sims. gain-y stuff w/ EQs. crappy multifx.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 am

neonblack wrote:I'll have to find it, but there's a message board post somewhere where one of the guys from the Austerity Program talks about how they make their drum machine sound so huge.

I'll find it.

They use a Boss DR-660. They have their own PA they bring with them to shows and (IIRC) they record the drums through the PA for the records.
Faldoe

Postby kbit » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:43 pm

You do recall correctly, Justin mentioned they always recorded yhe drums out of speakers in a live room to make them sound less flat or whatever.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 pm

And reverb on the drums.

Also, never use toms on drum machine. Bass, snare, cymbals
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:17 pm

neonblack wrote:And reverb on the drums.

Any reason? I double the bass drum/floor tom for accents when using punk beats (also is there anyway to get a drum machine to actually play a punk beat..? Like is that too dependent on human error to work or something?)
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 pm

I dunno actually, that was just advice from Austerity Program.

I think it's just because those three sounds are the most jarring/cutting/punchy and they make more effective drum lines. Of course, that's probably if you're going for the scary robot drums like Austerity Program do.

I'm not really sure about the punk beat thing. Maybe if there was a way to program some variation or swing or something.

Lately I've just been really interested in crazy robotic beats. Stuff that a human couldn't physically play
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 am

u can make punk beats on a drum machine. double up your tempo, get into that 200+ range. layer up and use different hats, cymbals, toms etc to get it more authentic. even tho the base beat is pretty simple, theres a lot of intricacies in the percussion. also, theres usually a lot of fills, switches and changes in these types of drums so you're prob gunna want to make a few patterns and chain them or make longer patterns too depending on your drum machine.

i always find it easier to start at a normal tempo and make a beat, then turn up the BPM way up and you'll start to get into that territory.

also toms are great. esp those laser e.toms
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:39 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:You do recall correctly, Justin mentioned they always recorded yhe drums out of speakers in a live room to make them sound less flat or whatever.

Maybe they used to do that? In this blerp on their blog, Justin said the PA method was the worst sounding for recording the drums:

http://www.austerityprogram.com/studio/ ... 040709.htm

neonblack wrote:And reverb on the drums.

I'm putting a PA together for drum machine stuff, so I haven't tried it yet, but I've got some stuff written that has a kind of tribal tom thing akin to Neurosis and it sounds pretty sick with the can headphones. May not translate well with the PA, though. I'll have to wait and try it. It's mostly toms, kick and snare with the toms being a floor and lower tom. The higher toms, at least with the SR-16 and HR-16 (I'm using them both) don't sound that great.
Faldoe

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:31 pm

One trick with amped drum machines is to blend it with the direct signal, but use mostly the direct.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Tech & Recording