Simple, cheap passive DI box

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Simple, cheap passive DI box

Postby Seten » Tue May 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Looking to spend less than $50. Nothing fancy.
Seten

committed
committed

Re: Simple, cheap passive DI box

Postby DRodriguez » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 am

I tend to like actives better, but for a cheap one, the Whirlwind Director ain't half bad
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Wed May 27, 2015 4:19 am

Why not active???
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Seten » Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 am

I guess I could go active.
Seten

committed
committed

Postby waltdogg » Wed May 27, 2015 3:46 pm

A good passive DI is the old DOD Direct Box 260. It has good headroom and it isn't prone to microphonics unlike most cheap DI boxes. I was using one for a while before I upgraded to a Radial JDI, now *that's* a DI. But if funds are tight you can't go wrong with the DOD, way better than the comparable passive DI box(es) by LiveWire. I have a super old Whirlwind IMP direct box that is a tiny box with a selectable impedance switch and male mic cable attached to it. I'm yet to try it out for anything though. Actually, you can have it if you want something to mess with before buying one. I was trying to sell the thing but I doubt that's gonna happen and I don't need it. Let me test it real quick because it was gifted to me and it never got used.

EDIT: It works, sounds good. I forgot that it doesn't have a thru jack but at least you won't need to use an XLR cable to connect it to your system because of the hardwired XLR male end which has a Switchcraft plug.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seten » Thu May 28, 2015 12:18 pm

waltdogg wrote:A good passive DI is the old DOD Direct Box 260. It has good headroom and it isn't prone to microphonics unlike most cheap DI boxes. I was using one for a while before I upgraded to a Radial JDI, now *that's* a DI. But if funds are tight you can't go wrong with the DOD, way better than the comparable passive DI box(es) by LiveWire. I have a super old Whirlwind IMP direct box that is a tiny box with a selectable impedance switch and male mic cable attached to it. I'm yet to try it out for anything though. Actually, you can have it if you want something to mess with before buying one. I was trying to sell the thing but I doubt that's gonna happen and I don't need it. Let me test it real quick because it was gifted to me and it never got used.

EDIT: It works, sounds good. I forgot that it doesn't have a thru jack but at least you won't need to use an XLR cable to connect it to your system because of the hardwired XLR male end which has a Switchcraft plug.

Alright, thanks!
Seten

committed
committed

Postby waltdogg » Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm

No problem! I sent you a PM if you want me to send you the IMP.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording