Reel to reel recorders

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Reel to reel recorders

Postby crochambeau » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:45 pm

There's a lot more to it than track width.

But in the comparison between those particular machines, yes, the jump in quality is definitely there - so long as the deck is in good working order.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ancientbones » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:59 pm

crochambeau wrote:There's a lot more to it than track width.

But in the comparison between those particular machines, yes, the jump in quality is definitely there - so long as the deck is in good working order.

True. I know Fostex is usually considered a lesser brand to something like Tascam, at least when it comes to 4 track cassette recorders. I've been searching for an Otari 8 track but all I ever see are the 2 channel ones and sometimes a 4 channel.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:23 pm

There's a clean one on reverb, but the asking price is beyond optimistic in my opinion. I've seen 2 inch 24 tracks for less.

I see one on eBay in the sub $1K range (until you hit shipping from CT), which could be a good deal to someone local - unless the heads are wasted. The listing is pretty useless in that respect.

Seems like the era of seeing them for $500-750 is over, but I still cling to hope...

Edit: shit, there's a $600 one in Brooklyn. Local pick up only, but if it's operable that's a fair deal.

Gotta stop looking at ebay, STAT.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ancientbones » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 pm

crochambeau wrote:There's a clean one on reverb, but the asking price is beyond optimistic in my opinion. I've seen 2 inch 24 tracks for less.

I see one on eBay in the sub $1K range (until you hit shipping from CT), which could be a good deal to someone local - unless the heads are wasted. The listing is pretty useless in that respect.

Seems like the era of seeing them for $500-750 is over, but I still cling to hope...

Edit: shit, there's a $600 one in Brooklyn. Local pick up only, but if it's operable that's a fair deal.

Gotta stop looking at ebay, STAT.

Yeah, I'm going to dip my toes into tape starting with a cassette 4 track I think. I found a decent priced Tascam 464 a little ways away from me for $100. It looks pristine. I've wanted one of these since I was 14 or 15 haha. Might as well go for it and if I like the analog recording process, I'll try to find a reel-to-reel.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:35 pm

When they were factory new current production, for the home studio accessible, it was Otari then Tascam.

Fostex...we just ran.

From the cassettes to the reels, they didn't hold up to either in the slightest.

None of these units were designed to last 25-35 years either though.

The reason I'd suspect you're having better luck with the Fostex sound-wise is that they were bought, installed, and then either not used (dadrock home project) or replaced with something better in very very quick course.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ancientbones » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:34 pm

OH SHIT! HEAPS OF NEWS!!!! Someone's GIVING AWAY a TEAC 80-8 8 channel 1/4" tape recorder. The only thing is it has a broken tension arm. Is this a hard thing to fix? Are there like reel-to-reel techs in Detroit???
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Take it. Find out about a tech later. Worst case if it's not trashed otherwise, can probably sell the heads.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ancientbones » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:54 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:Take it. Find out about a tech later. Worst case if it's not trashed otherwise, can probably sell the heads.

That's the plan. Just waiting for this dude to email me back.

Welp, nevermind. Someone got it before me. Damn..
ancientbones

committed
committed

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording