update me on drum soft synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

update me on drum soft synths?

Postby friendship » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Background: I've done a fair amount of recording over the past 15 years or so, primarily using live, miked-up kits and synthetic drum machines.

I also use a Drumkit From Hell (I think version 2) sample set--which is probably like ten years old at this point--mostly for demos and small soundtrack gigs.

I actually think the samples sound pretty damn good, but there's a very limited amount of velocity changes for each drum (maybe 10 at most), so everything I program is significantly lacking in terms of dynamic, human-like feel. I actually find it not difficult to play/program a more human timing dynamic, but there's always that unmistakable snare-that's-identical-every-hit thing that happens when you use limited sample sets.

These days, I'm finding that I don't have the time or resources to record real drums, which breaks my heart because I love real drummers playing real drums in a real space. If I had my way, I'd do that 100% of the time, but, unless I want to record drums for songs only once or maybe twice a year, I have to go for programming real-ish drums.

I have questions:

1. Is this a fool's errand? I accept a certain amount of artifice, I just don't want to sound cheesy. I feel like access to sample sets with broader dynamic range will help a lot, but maybe you guys know better.

2. What's out there these days, productwise? Is there something I could use in a host DAW, maybe even something with which I have direct access to the sample wavs to load into Reason and build a kit like I did with Drumkit From Hell?

3. How processor-hungry are drum soft synths with very robust sample sets?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: update me on drum soft synths?

Postby Doctor X » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 pm

3) i think they are ram heavy rather than process heavy, though you can often limit the kit size
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby Decibill » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:04 am

I have the Slate Drums and Superior Drummer. Between those two I can get almost anything I have ever needed, in terms of "live" or "real" sounding drums. And as a drummer, I'm picky about this stuff. I'd recommend both.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Decibill wrote:I have the Slate Drums and Superior Drummer. Between those two I can get almost anything I have ever needed, in terms of "live" or "real" sounding drums. And as a drummer, I'm picky about this stuff. I'd recommend both.

An endorsement from a drummer! That's pretty significant. Do you use them in y our own recordings? Do you lean towards one or the other?

Sorry to bug you with questions, I've been totally out of touch with this corner of recording for the past few years.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:19 pm

i think native instruments has some good offerings for this too.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Decibill » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm

friendship wrote:
Decibill wrote:I have the Slate Drums and Superior Drummer. Between those two I can get almost anything I have ever needed, in terms of "live" or "real" sounding drums. And as a drummer, I'm picky about this stuff. I'd recommend both.

An endorsement from a drummer! That's pretty significant. Do you use them in y our own recordings? Do you lean towards one or the other?

Sorry to bug you with questions, I've been totally out of touch with this corner of recording for the past few years.

Yeah, I have used them on two albums pretty heavily. The first album was mostly Superior Drummer. The last album was mostly Slate Drums--you can hear it here http://monumentthief.bandcamp.com/ The drums on these tracks I played live on an electronic kit. Then I took the MIDI data and used that to trigger the samples. Each plugin has a different workflow, but roughly do about the same thing. I might prefer the Superior Drummer workflow a tad, but after the last album the Slate Drums proved themselves big time. Originally the Slate library was very radio/modern rock focused, but the recent samples over the past few years have really expanded things a lot. BTW, jrmy is my bandmate playing all the sweet fuzz bass. No worries about asking questions. I had a lot of people help me over the years, so I'm happy to give back.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby UnicornTrap » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:56 am

I use XLN addictive drums (version 2 is out, I'm still using version 1 with most of the instrument packs). I love it. It doesn't consume a lot of memory in ableton so I can run like 8 instances of it to separate out the sounds with different compression/eq etc. I generally track with 1 or 2 instances of the drum machines if I'm just experimenting/coming up with something. Superior drums sound really excellent too, but the UI is quite a memory/cpu hog. I'm lucky in tracking mode with superior to have 2 going at once, and then I have to dump crap to WAV and things heavily slow down....

I have never tried Slate drums - I'm off to look at that hehe :picard:
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Decibill wrote:
friendship wrote:

Yeah, I have used them on two albums pretty heavily. The first album was mostly Superior Drummer. The last album was mostly Slate Drums--you can hear it here http://monumentthief.bandcamp.com/ The drums on these tracks I played live on an electronic kit. Then I took the MIDI data and used that to trigger the samples. Each plugin has a different workflow, but roughly do about the same thing. I might prefer the Superior Drummer workflow a tad, but after the last album the Slate Drums proved themselves big time. Originally the Slate library was very radio/modern rock focused, but the recent samples over the past few years have really expanded things a lot. BTW, jrmy is my bandmate playing all the sweet fuzz bass. No worries about asking questions. I had a lot of people help me over the years, so I'm happy to give back.

These drum sounds are really impressive! I'm especially amazed at how it handles rolls, sounds very natural which I'm sure is in no small part to your live playing to pads. Thank you very much for sharing!
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Decibill » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:31 pm

Thanks man....!! One thing is for certain--great samples will sound like pure crap if they are triggered by a lackluster performance. All the same rules of recording a good performance still apply to getting sampled drums to sound good. I think a lot of people forget about this when making judgment calls on sampled drums. They can sound mechanical and stale, but often times that because people use step recorders or loops. Having a drummer lay down an actual performance can make average drum samples sound great.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Decibill wrote:Thanks man....!! One thing is for certain--great samples will sound like pure crap if they are triggered by a lackluster performance. All the same rules of recording a good performance still apply to getting sampled drums to sound good. I think a lot of people forget about this when making judgment calls on sampled drums. They can sound mechanical and stale, but often times that because people use step recorders or loops. Having a drummer lay down an actual performance can make average drum samples sound great.

True true. Whenever I program drums, I finger tap them in with my keyboard instead of drawing them onto a grid, I figure it's not really drumming but it's better than nothing.

I'm going to download some demos and see how I get along with them.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 pm

friendship wrote:
Decibill wrote:Thanks man....!! One thing is for certain--great samples will sound like pure crap if they are triggered by a lackluster performance. All the same rules of recording a good performance still apply to getting sampled drums to sound good. I think a lot of people forget about this when making judgment calls on sampled drums. They can sound mechanical and stale, but often times that because people use step recorders or loops. Having a drummer lay down an actual performance can make average drum samples sound great.

True true. Whenever I program drums, I finger tap them in with my keyboard instead of drawing them onto a grid, I figure it's not really drumming but it's better than nothing.

I'm going to download some demos and see how I get along with them.

I start with perfectly programing a whole drum pattern. Then I selectively fuck up slightly a beat here and a beat there to give it a human feel. It takes a while to get it right, but well worth the effort.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 pm

I use Superior Drummer 2.0 by Toontrack (the people who made Drumkit From Hell). I'm really happy with the results I get from it and they have a lot of expansion packs for kits and a pretty wide variety of midi beat packs as well. I do a mixture of my own sequencing and using midi packs, usually with some alterations to fit my specific riffs.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Tech & Recording