Thunderbolt Interfaces

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Thunderbolt Interfaces

Postby lifetimesupply » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Anyone on here using a thunderbolt interface? Is thunderbolt the way forward? My macbook pro has 2 ports, and I kinda want to use at least one :idk: I have been looking at the UA Apollo Twin Solo but it's pretty pricey. Zoom have a cheaper version but doesn't have UA's plugins or reputation.
lifetimesupply

interested
interested

Re: Thunderbolt Interfaces

Postby doommeow » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

As someone who used to support this stuff professionally and is somewhat out of the loop, why do you need to go Thunderbolt? USB3 still seems to be the standard at this point. Don't see that changing anytime soon.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lifetimesupply » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 pm

From my very limited understanding it's quicker, with less latency issues so that when you're playing an instrument it's more immediate. Beyond that I don't know too much and it's probably way over spec'd for my meagre needs but I like shiny things. Apple seem to have invested heavily in it so perhaps it has a future? Who knows it could be the betamax of our time.
lifetimesupply

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 am

doommeow wrote:As someone who used to support this stuff professionally and is somewhat out of the loop, why do you need to go Thunderbolt? USB3 still seems to be the standard at this point. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

lifetimesupply wrote:From my very limited understanding it's quicker, with less latency issues so that when you're playing an instrument it's more immediate. Beyond that I don't know too much and it's probably way over spec'd for my meagre needs but I like shiny things. Apple seem to have invested heavily in it so perhaps it has a future? Who knows it could be the betamax of our time.

Well, the thing about USB 3.0 is that, as it stands, there aren't any Audio Interfaces using it, at least that quick research suggests. I haven't seen anything advertised as such so far. USB 2.0 is fully compatible with USB 3.0 so there wouldn't be a loss if more interfaces came equipped that way but alas, we're up shit creek without a paddle.

Thunderbolt, on the other hand, much like FireWire, isn't as heavily adopted on all platforms yet, both Mac and PC, I should say. Many Macs out there that folks are using are still older models and they aren't all equipped with Thunderbolt. Now there are adapters that can go from FireWire to Thunderbolt which is handy for the people that have Thunderbolt equipped models but the cost right now is too high and the number of interfaces isn't conducive to the type of buyer's market deals we'd enjoy.

Latency appears to be the most important part in all of this and Thunderbolt would capitalize on this issue the most but as it stands right now your best option is FireWire 800 with the Apple appropriate dongle to use your Thunderbolt port. FireWire will reduce the latency that USB provides.

All things considered, I just upgraded to a new iMac and used my Apogee Jam interface for the first time just the other day. The Jam is USB 2.0 only and is designed to work with iOS or Mac. Just recording guitar through my pedalboard direct, a single track, and I can't say that I had any noticeable latency. I'm now considering something like the Akai EIE or something similar with 4-8 Mic Preamps and I'm fully considering USB for my novice use simply because the price point is so much better and I won't have to shell out an extra $30 for the Apple adapter if I go the route of FireWire.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lifetimesupply » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 pm

All things considered, I just upgraded to a new iMac and used my Apogee Jam interface for the first time just the other day. The Jam is USB 2.0 only and is designed to work with iOS or Mac. Just recording guitar through my pedalboard direct, a single track, and I can't say that I had any noticeable latency. I'm now considering something like the Akai EIE or something similar with 4-8 Mic Preamps and I'm fully considering USB for my novice use simply because the price point is so much better and I won't have to shell out an extra $30 for the Apple adapter if I go the route of FireWire.

I have been very intrigued by the Akai EIE models. Those analog vu meters look really cool and with all those knobs and switches it's kind of the antithesis of the apogee / apollo style interfaces. I must admit one of the big drawcards for me with the apollo twin is the plug ins. It's also a lot easier to hide plug in purchases from your better half :idea: Like I said before thunderbolt is probably /definitely above my pay grade but then again so is most of my other gear :lol:
lifetimesupply

interested
interested

Postby Decibill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm running an Apollo Quad via thunderbolt into a 2013 Mac Mini. It kicks ass. I had trouble with it via firewire, but zero issues with thunderbolt. I've been using UA plugins for a long time and having everything consolidated into one unit has totally streamlined my work flow.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby lifetimesupply » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Decibill wrote:I'm running an Apollo Quad via thunderbolt into a 2013 Mac Mini. It kicks ass. I had trouble with it via firewire, but zero issues with thunderbolt. I've been using UA plugins for a long time and having everything consolidated into one unit has totally streamlined my work flow.

That sounds like a great set-up and that's what attracted me to the apollo. Having all those plugins outboard would make it ideal for something like the mac mini. I was looking to do something very similar but got impatient waiting for the new mac mini and got a pro instead. Which plugins do you find the most useful?
lifetimesupply

interested
interested

Postby Decibill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Yeah, my current set up is the best, must solid and stable set up i've ever had. The Mac Mini's are no joke, especially if you get the top i7 processor and max out the RAM. For mixing, I use the 1073,1176, LA-2A , Studer A800 and 140 plate reverb a lot. I've got a lot of other UA plugs, but the ones listed get the most use by far.
Decibill

committed
committed

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:16 pm

My Focusrite interfaces are Thunderbolt compatible, with an adapter for my recording iMac. It's actually worse than that, since they use Firewire 400 connections. So I have to use a 400 to 800 cable, then a Thunderbolt adapter for the computer. I've been interested in this myself, for the sake of reducing latency (though most of the time it's not a huge problem for me). There's not very many dedicated Thunderbolt interfaces right now though. Universal Audio's Apollo line, MOTU a limited line. Apogee has the "Thunderbolt Bridge", which is a whole separate box just for converting to Thunderbolt, which just seems like a headache to me. Manufacturers of recording interfaces are really slow to adopt new digital connection technology. They like to keep their overhead low and wait until something is pretty much established (read: in every computer, but technologically outdated) before incorporating it into their designs. Especially because bad reviews about driver instability seem to linger forever, for years after they fix minor issues. Be careful when researching, because a lot of things will say "Thunderbolt compatible", which just means it has Firewire. Since Thunderbolt is just the branding for the new Firewire connection, it's backwards compatible with adapters, like I use. You just don't get the benefit of the bandwidth/speed of the Thunderbolt connection.

I keep my eye out every few months to see what's coming out. I'll still wait even when something that looks good pops up, because there will probably be some bugs to work out through firmware updates over the first year. If Focusrite starts making Thunderbolt dedicated interfaces, I'll probably buy one. MOTU is tempting, but I'm not as big of a fan of their built in preamps. Though I have considered using one of their models that's just a Thunderbolt I/O with my Focusrite preamps, since they have an ADAT connection.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby technicoloraudio » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:10 am

I just ditched a Safire pro40 for a Motu 828x and so far so good. I was having nothing but problems with FireWire connections via the thunderbolt adapter. First was a compatibility issue with my Mackie Onyx mixer and OSX Yosemite, then the Safire was dropping audio and having latency issues. No problems whatsoever with the Motu, but it did cost twice that of the Safire. There is more of a learning curve with the Motu, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.
but what are guitar pedals...really..?
technicoloraudio

committed
committed

Postby futuresailors » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Didn't apple already give up on thunderbolt? New macbook doesn't have it...
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:56 pm

They're already moving onto USB-C/Thunderbolt universal now...
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echoraven » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 pm

odontophobia wrote:
doommeow wrote:...I'm now considering something like the Akai EIE or something similar with 4-8 Mic Preamps and I'm fully considering USB for my novice use simply because the price point is so much better and I won't have to shell out an extra $30 for the Apple adapter if I go the route of FireWire.

I have the 24bit Pro and love that thing inappropriately, not only do I use it for recording but as a "mixer" for my Beat Buddy drum machine and Vox Tonelab going through either headphones or M-Audio BX5A monitors. The EIE Pro (possibly the regular one does this) has a "mix" knob that you can blend audio from the computer to whatever you've connected through it and I've not noticed latency (though I'm sure some is there).
echoraven

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording