Favorite Recordings based on production?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Favorite Recordings based on production?

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:28 pm

GardenoftheDead wrote:
Vuvuzela wrote:does any one know what jeff's bass tone was achieved with on snakes for the divine? that bass sound is fucking ridiculous.
i'd imagine it was something like a 10-band EQ, a pharaoh and maybe a comp of some kind into an SVT?

One clean amp, one amp with a Boss DS-1 for distortion if I recall. Read it in an interview somewhere I can't find anymore.

I want to say he was using a Skunkworks SVT, but that's based on nothing beyond a flicker of memory.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

I've been really into the production on Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love." I want to make massive, hard-gated drum reverb cool again.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Vuvuzela » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 pm

i've grown tired of how slick Andy Sneaps's albums sound. A lot of modern metal is all done with electronic drums and DI'd guitars and bass and while the music is really cool, hearing the same kind of sterile production over and over again makes me pretty sad.
i love a lot of Sneap's work, but why can't more bands spend the time recording a record with real drums and nailing down tones before they get into a studio?

in other news, i love the sound of the hives' record "Veni Vidi Vicious" so gritty, and still sounds huge.
Vuvuzela

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:36 am

Vuvuzela wrote:i've grown tired of how slick Andy Sneaps's albums sound. A lot of modern metal is all done with electronic drums and DI'd guitars and bass

I hear you there dude. The only thing DI'd guitar and bass is good for is getting a good dry signal to be reamped later to get that perfect pedals and miced amp mix. But to use them exclusively just sucks arse. And I would never use electronic drums. Real drums miced sound so much nicer in the mix.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Vuvuzela » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am

KaosCill8r wrote:
Vuvuzela wrote:i've grown tired of how slick Andy Sneaps's albums sound. A lot of modern metal is all done with electronic drums and DI'd guitars and bass

I hear you there dude. The only thing DI'd guitar and bass is good for is getting a good dry signal to be reamped later to get that perfect pedals and miced amp mix. But to use them exclusively just sucks arse. And I would never use electronic drums. Real drums miced sound so much nicer in the mix.

if you spend the time on mic'ing the kit, using decent mics and get the kit in a good room it all pays off. i understand using electronic kits for bands like beneath the massacre or any other "tech-metal" band. just because there's no way any drummer is hitting hard enough to make a kit sound good for that style of music.
Vuvuzela

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:21 am

Vuvuzela wrote:
KaosCill8r wrote:

if you spend the time on mic'ing the kit, using decent mics and get the kit in a good room it all pays off. i understand using electronic kits for bands like beneath the massacre or any other "tech-metal" band. just because there's no way any drummer is hitting hard enough to make a kit sound good for that style of music.

So true. I find the hardest thing to mic up and get right are drums, but it is so rewarding when you get it right. I seldom do but I still try. :lol: I would much rather get miced drums wrong than resort to electronic.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 am

Electronic drums certainly have their applications.
They can be engineered and arranged to great effect, sounding similar to or nothing like an acoustic kit/space. And late at night, with babies sleeping in the same room.
They wont out-acoustic-drum an acoustic drumkit, but as vuvuzela illustrated w/tech metal...I wouldn't want to attempt playing the AMEN BROTHER break for 5+ minutes without a sampler, live or in studio.
I've got to tip my hat to the drummers in NES coverbands :whoa:
Also, a well-tuned drumkit in a great space, miked in a flattering way is a thing of beauty...but not without a good drummer behind it :animal:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby p.j. » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 am

Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris is one of my favorites. Daniel Lanois' production on this masterpiece is absolutely stunning.
p.j.

interested
interested

Postby Deltaphoenix » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 am

Lots of good albums in this thread.

I will add Clipse - Lord Willin (Produced by The Neptunes)
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Vuvuzela » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm

rustywire wrote:Electronic drums certainly have their applications.
They can be engineered and arranged to great effect, sounding similar to or nothing like an acoustic kit/space. And late at night, with babies sleeping in the same room.
They wont out-acoustic-drum an acoustic drumkit, but as vuvuzela illustrated w/tech metal...I wouldn't want to attempt playing the AMEN BROTHER break for 5+ minutes without a sampler, live or in studio.
I've got to tip my hat to the drummers in NES coverbands :whoa:
Also, a well-tuned drumkit in a great space, miked in a flattering way is a thing of beauty...but not without a good drummer behind it :animal:

you should check out the band Giant Step. Their record "What would the neighbors say?" has some of the best damn drum sounds i've ever heard.
recorded at the studio I work at, by my boss. he just "gets" how drums should sounds.
Vuvuzela

committed
committed

Postby Codyeatruck » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:33 pm

built to spill - ultimate alternative wavers

brand new - the devil and god are raging inside me
Codyeatruck

involved
involved

Postby The_Active_Conundrum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 pm

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Protomen - Protomen
Antlers - Hospice
Tool - 10,000 Days
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Prize Fighter Inferno - My Brother's Blood Machine

yeah, some tacky mixes in there and I know a lot of it is arrangement, but there's so many mixing tricks from each of those that I keep meaning to use.
Great dealings with: ryan summit, UncleGrandfather, Pizza, hbombgraphics, dangergirlstarship, Clockworker, kosta
The_Active_Conundrum

experienced
experienced

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:00 am

Surfer Rosa by The Pixies, produced by Steve Albini.
Axis Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix, produced by Eddie Kramer.
Blood Sugar Sex Magic by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Produced by Rick Rubin.
Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins, Produced by Butch Vig & Billy Corgan.
Bleach by Nirvana, Produced by Jack Endino.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Vuvuzela » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 am

The_Active_Conundrum wrote:No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Protomen - Protomen
Antlers - Hospice
Tool - 10,000 Days
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Prize Fighter Inferno - My Brother's Blood Machine

yeah, some tacky mixes in there and I know a lot of it is arrangement, but there's so many mixing tricks from each of those that I keep meaning to use.

was going to mention that record. it doesn't matter what genre of you music you identify with mainly, the fact that she's so weird, and writes a lot of her weird ideas into her music and has a great stable of engineers and producers to work with, this record came out really great. no shame, it's a great a record and sounds awesome.
Vuvuzela

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Tech & Recording