Recording journal, recording my band.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Recording journal, recording my band.

Postby Forrrest » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Started recording my band.
pretty excited. hope to be done within a month.

5 songs. 50mins of material
here's some teaser pics.

chat me up about this.
I recorded & mixed our EP myself last year. have a listen http://neargrey.bandcamp.com/
get your word in before I get this one done.
I hope to get more bass in the mix this time, and more noisy squeals.
Forrrest

committed
committed

Re: Recording journal, recording my band.

Postby sonidero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

LOVE IT!!! Record Journal Is TITZZZ... :thumb:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby the Life Aquatic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Looking forwards to this. I'm hoping it could be basically a walk through tutorial on recording and I can pick up some tips
the Life Aquatic

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Forrrest » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Should I just blab, or is there something specific I should start with?

I'm already 7 days into tracking.
2 days other guitarist (baritone tele. one day of leads, one day of rhythm)
2 days me guitar (fender VI, baritone tele and LP)
2 days bassist
1 day synth/noise

yeah I'm at 129 tracks so far (20+ of them are bus's and shit)
~30 gigs of 24/44 mono audio.

I decided i was gonna do all my tracking on one session, save me from having to switch sessions when changing song.
Since it's a hassle having to label everything more then once for tracking (especially considering how many tracks i'm running),

In preprod I recorded the band live a few times to get a feel for what speed we play the songs at, how we change speeds & such.
Then mapped out all the songs, wrote out basic midi parts for what everyone does, & mapped out the tempo changes.
we jammed along with those and tweaked the bpms until everyone was happy with how that sounded
recorded those jams too sending the dynamic click track to the drummer and following him.
there's probably over 100 tempo changes* (some are just small increments for specific moments, some are ramps where we naturally accelerate or slow down and others are big jumps where we switch song sections)

we also did quite a few arrangement changes during the preprod, listening to your songs while not playing them can change what you think about certain parts.
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby Forrrest » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:17 pm

the Life Aquatic wrote:Looking forwards to this. I'm hoping it could be basically a walk through tutorial on recording and I can pick up some tips

cool!
I'm doing everything DIY. no fancy studio, just my crowded practice space in a building where 200 other bands practice.
I own quite a bit of gear (from accumulating it over the years), yet my approach would still be the same if I only had a 2 input sound card. except for drums, I think you need to get at least 8 ins to record live drums, they're the hardest to do.
Scheduling means i'm actually going to be tracking the drums at the end, but since everything is already to a tempo map it shouldn't change much.
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:38 pm

This is gonna be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The4455 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 am

Forrrest wrote:

Yup, that's one of my favorite mics. :yay:

I wish I had a pair :grumpy:
"The future is the past not yet written!"
The4455

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Forrrest » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 am

Gonna play catch up. here's the recording days I've had so far, with a brief description of what got tracked that day & what the setup for the day was.

July 2, Tuesday - Other Guitarist Leads
Tele Baritone > DI > SuperDuper2in1 clone > ABY
A - Mesa Mark V head > 2x12 with EV12L > SM57
B - RRR > Timefactor > Rockerverb > PPC212 with V30 > AKG414 & sm57

July 6, Saturday - Me Guitar Leads/Rhythm
Tele Baritone/LP > DI > Timefactor > Modfactor > ABY
A - Englishman > RRR > Hiwatt DR201 > 2x12 with EV12L > SM7B & sm57
B - Silverrose/Elements > SpaceFactor > Mesa Mark V > BlackShadow 12" > M160

July 7, Sunday - Me Guitar Leads/Rhythm
Fender VI > DI > Timefactor > Modfactor > ABY
A - Monarch > RRR > Hiwatt DR201 > 2x12 with EV12L > SM7B & sm57
B - Silverrose/Elements/SFT/HyperFuzz/Moth > SpaceFactor > Mesa Mark V > BlackShadow 12" > M160

July 9, Tuesday - Other Guitarist Rhythm
Tele Baritone > DI > SuperDuper2in1 clone > ABY
A - Orange OTR120 > Ampeg 810 > RE20
B - Timefactor > RRR > Rockerverb > PPC212 with V30 > 441 & sm57

July 12, Friday - Me Synth
Nord Lead 3 > DI > shitfuck various pedals > DI > ABY
A - Hiwatt DR201 > Bergantino NV412 > AKG414
B - Mesa Mark V > 2x12 with EV12L > AKG414

July 13, Saturday - Bassist
Rick 4001 > Silverkiss > DI > ABY
A - SVT-VR with DBX 160 compressor in effects loop > Ampeg 810 > RE20 & sm57
B - MXR Blowtorch > Hiwatt DR201 > Bergantino NV412 > AG414

July 14, Sunday - Bassist
Rick 4001 > Silverkiss > DI > ABY
A - SVT-VR with DBX 160 compressor in effects loop > Ampeg 810 > RE20 & sm57
B - DeviEver SilverRose > Hiwatt DR201 > Bergantino NV412 > AG414

boring Itinerary every day seems to go, show up around 10, pick what amps & pedals are going to be used. find a good spot to put them in so that they're not blasting us too badly, and not blasting each other either. get them cranking and tweak them until we like how they sound. there's obviously the usual setup but I like to add a 2nd amp to that for some variety, find a tone that compliments, do some experimenting a bit. pick some mics - sm57, 414 & RE20 are my fav go to mics for guitar amps, the M160 ribbon is nice but only when the volume isn't too high (yet most of the time everything is spitting crazy volumes due to the nature of the tube amps I have and where they sound good. The mark V i can turn down the wattage, so the M160 sounds great on there). but I also like to mix it up with the mics so that I don't have the same mic on 50 guitar tracks...
I'm recording into Logic pro on my macbook with a motu 896MKii sound card. i've got one studio monitor at the practice space for checking tones, but seeing as there's no control room, amps have to stop during playback to listen closely to the tone. I want to capture on the mics what I hear in the room. There's lots of fidgeting with mics at this point. I'm checking the phase on the mics and the amps, switching polarity where I need so things are as much in phase as possible. nudge a mic over 1/4" and it's phase relationship gets better, but the tone changes. I use a correlation meter in Logic to test this, solo two guitar tracks and pan them opposite to each other. for mic placement I try to get things as close to +1. if it's at -1 I can just flip the phase and it'll jump to the opposite side. the problem when is when it's in the middle, no phase flip can fix that (it's 90degrees out of phase at that point), so that requires a mic movement. this stuff is really important for mixing later on
I try to get everything at least at about 80% (right below the word "peak".) to the left of that is no good...

come 1-2 oclock we're getting hungry - time to eat. maybe we'll track one song with the setup. not a perfect performance but just a quick pre-warmup. eating and talking about the tone and setup is always good too, get everything sorted with confidence. the extra amp setup always bring excitement, keeps the sound fresh for the recording performance, what gets used in the mix is to be seen later anyways.
3:00 start tracking. I turn off the monitor at that point and I have a small headphone amp that I use for whoever is recording that day, I plug directly into the soundcards headphone out. I listen to exactly what they're listening while we track. the amps in the room are so loud there's no need for any of that in the mix. I'm kind of a jerk but I send them the shitty midi parts, just enough so they're following - but the focus is on following the click track. everyone is tracking separately, so we've all got to follow it. depending on the part I'm either a nazi about getting it tight or letting it sway knowing that other things are going to keep the mix together.
I double track everything. that way if there's something I miss during the takes I can grab it from somewhere. Some places the bpm is constant so I could steal a missed riff from the repeating verse without fucking everything up. double tracking everything is a good incentive to top your previous take... and once you've topped it to go back and give me a 2nd one as good as that one. I'm pretty quick with stopping the recording when mistakes happen and backing it up 4 bars and going again. with everything on the grid it's easy to make splices afterwards and merge the track as if it had been one perfect take. and if you do it quickly enough, as a musician you keep the groove & your pick attack and a whole lot of details that might get lost. I always zoom in for the note attack and splice a dozen sample crossover, I'm very zoomed in. it's also very helpful to be able to hotkey switch between snapping between bar, beat, division & sample. learn your hotkeys in logic! program your own! if you find yourself doing something more then 5 times in 10 mins, make a hotkey for it.
Ihe mix ends up so thick maybe none of that is even close to necessary.

in contrast I use a keyboard stand with a guitar case on top as my work station. the chair I sit on isn't even worth the 5$ it cost. that's how pro this recording is gonna be!
Forrrest

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording