Let's see you RECORD THINGS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see you RECORD THINGS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Bonefish67 wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:
Bonefish67 wrote:Tascam 388 as a looper.

https://instagram.com/p/zRDocHyqlY/?taken-by=bonefish67

Sick, dude!

Thanks. You have some great tracks on your BC page. What are you using to record them?
-Mike

Hey, thanks!

"Saturdee" is live bass and effects recorded from the amp with a 57 into Audacity. The rest are mostly synths and guitars through effects or MAX direct into Ableton. :erm:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby ratrod » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:37 am

Got this Realistic auto-reverse cassette player from Goodwill for $7. Modified the play head to not change sides when the motor changes directon. The result: reverse playback! :!!!:

ratrod

committed
committed

Postby spacelordmother » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Hooray for science!!
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:12 pm

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:54 pm

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:51 am

DRodriguez wrote:Recent session, love this dude's voice.

Seriously awesome. You have my dream job dude. I wouldn't even care if I got paid. Would probably just want some weed and beer and I'd be happy.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:30 pm

KaosCill8r wrote:Seriously awesome. You have my dream job dude. I wouldn't even care if I got paid. Would probably just want some weed and beer and I'd be happy.

Thanks man, I love it. Defintiely still a job though, I work harder for this than any one I know.

Recent Live mix: Day Wave "Ceremony" Joy Division/New Order Cover Live @ SriusXM // SiriusXMU

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:20 am

Nice little surprise at 43 seconds.

NSFW: show
What,who hasn't wanted to run a kazoo through a $1.6k boutique tube mic, a $4k pre?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:00 pm

DRodriguez wrote:
KaosCill8r wrote:Seriously awesome. You have my dream job dude. I wouldn't even care if I got paid. Would probably just want some weed and beer and I'd be happy.

Thanks man, I love it. Defintiely still a job though, I work harder for this than any one I know.

Recent Live mix: Day Wave "Ceremony" Joy Division/New Order Cover Live @ SriusXM // SiriusXMU

Not my thing music-wise, but damn you did a great job on this sound/recording/mix wise. Really nice job. Wish my friend would go into the studio with someone that understands a mix better like you (she does acoustic stuff, but the dudes she got hooked up with in LA suck and keep over-dubbing strings and crap...but it was through some famous dude so, you know, no body else knows crap, you know? I mean I could do a better job with one mic than these dudes are doing...and I don't know nothin').
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks!

Tell your friend to go to Nashville, they are the best at the acoustic stuff in my opinion. The LA scene is a much more produced sound (very generally speaking).

That was a live mix, so even if I wanted to, not a lot I can throw in. This was a first take, first time hearing the performance. So it's fly by the seat of your pants. Just listen to the band to get an idea of what you're going to do, and then let the music guide you. The whole session was 4 songs. Took about an hour and a half from band loading in to them moving on to the interviews.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:58 am

LA/So cal does have a very produced sound...Look at the more current Bakersfield Country (Smokin Armadillos, etc) vs the older Bakersfield sound of Buck Ownes and Red Simpson (or heck Buck in the 1960s vs Buck in the 1990s...easy to hear the production even though that is Bakersfield where the recording industry is very influenced by LA these days).

My friend came back with her recording and it sounded detached...like you could hear the noise gate working on the voice (like the attack and release), the guitar sound nice and chimy (which is what she goes for) but they added in synth chimes and direct in organ...which sounded so detached to the whole mix...like you could hear what was played live to what sounded like a backing tape (and it wasn't). I told her I could do better with a pair of overhead condenser mics...you know, I'm not in the industry though haha (and just a shit noise guitar player).

Studios here, well maybe not all but all the ones I have dealt with, refuse to leave drum sounds in and replace them with samples. It's always been more about the gear...my friends band got recorded and the dude took out all the drum sounds, replaced them with samples, then ran it through a compressor 4 or 5 different times "to give it that analog sound". I was pissed watching it (not because the compressor, but because he ran it through what a book or something said "metal" should go through. More about automation than engagement. Years later that recording still pisses everyone off (they paid all their money, like 1k and dude kept the masters...)

I don't know where Foo Fighters record, but I think their mixing is really bad and sound "LA" to me (dead, loud, and lacking dynamic).

I can respect a good live mix...There is a lot more to it than you are giving yourself credit for. Mic placement/choices, mixing sounds without extra takes, rolling with the punches, etc. I always prefer stuff recorded that way when done right. It is a really good job considering the situation. It is really good man! I showed my wife (a big new order fan) and she instantly loved it. She is very critical of recording quality too (loves st vincent and empire of the sun, can't really stand their albums because of the bad mix/recording...empire of the sun sounds like it was made in a DAW from synths to everything with jsut some added vocals)

Live mixing at venues is even worse here...they mix everything like hip hop or techno/dubstep. During Buzzcocks (goldenvoice venue), the roadie came out, kicked the kids at the console out, and remixed the show it was so bad. Kids were pissed...but they mixed the buzzcocks with all bass drum, no vocals, no guitar, and so loud it was distorting everytime the drums hit...just bad (same with Melt Banana but no one saved them).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks man. Was not trying to downplay my gig, just meant that I don't do post of drum replacement/adding extra elements like those chimes and whatnot. Trust me, my job is far from easy and I know it.

Sounds like your friend just got a lazy mix.

Foo fighters last record was a showcase of different studios, they basically recorded a song per studio and made a documentary for HBO.

Also the person that did St. Vincent is awesome. Just the breath of things he's put out lately is amazing and diverse. I'll see if I can find one particular interview I read of him, but it was a breakdown of all the recent albums he did and his philosophies going into the sessions and how he adapted his style to fit the artist's vision.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Yea, I watched that doc...I think (maybe I am think of that Dave Grohl Studio City one, or whatever it was called). Foo Fighters mixes always sound lifeless to me (but I think that is the result of mixing for radio, instead of fidelity/life which is a bit of a different thing).

The st vincent album just had some problems with sounding too artificial (but know what she may have been going for, it may have been exactly what she wanted). But there is such a large disconnect between the live sound and the album. There is a lack of energy in the guitar tones and more focus on the synth tones on the studio recording versus the live (maybe that is her choice too). The earlier albums were a little les distict sounding, which, I guess, makes it successful if that is what the artist wanted.

I guess that is part of the difficult job of recording and mixing an album...you gotta fight instincts, knowledge, other people's input, among the problems we talk about more generally (equipment, placement, etc).

I know the few times I recorded grind bands it was a horrible pain getting at their intentions and trying to work in a normal manner and I just kinda quit music after that (long story). And I was just doing demos on an 8-track with 3 mics...

Really interested in this stuff, though. I wonder what I did with those recordings? haha

They got a lazy mix...it was the reason I started messing around with stuff (they blew 1k on that recording...and we all still listen to it and hate the recording...but young and stupid). They were a great band though...been talking to them about getting it remixed and re-releasing it (well, actually releasing it...was just a limited demo before).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby whitecapsof » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:44 pm

ratrod wrote:Got this Realistic auto-reverse cassette player from Goodwill for $7. Modified the play head to not change sides when the motor changes directon. The result: reverse playback! :!!!:

idk if that was just a throwaway track to demo the unit or what but I dug that
whitecapsof

committed
committed

Postby kor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm

This isn't me actually recording anything but here's my little studio...

s1.jpg

s3.jpg
s3.jpg (130.06 KiB) Viewed 21427 times
kor

uncommitted
uncommitted

PreviousNext

Return to Tech & Recording