Let's see you RECORD THINGS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see you RECORD THINGS

Postby ummohyeah » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm

thanks for the answers. much appreciated.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Finally moved into my new place. Took the time to setup the music things today. Supper happy with the result.

It's in my living room so I wanted it to look pretty.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Hey D'arcy... post your new set up here too so we can A/B it :wink:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aedes » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

Wife and I took a trip to Ikea and put together this desk and chair for cheaps. Still have some setup to do but it's a decent little space.

aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am

Looks nice! I still need a new desk and a synth stand but the music room is slowly getting better organised.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_C » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:25 am

Paul_C wrote:My last few quick recordings for reference and/or amusement were made with one of these

tidied up in Audacity on an old Compac PC running Vista ;)

I do have a paid for copy of Reaper and some drum software but I rarely use any of it.

I hadn't realised I posted to this thread - two years later and the recording process is still the same:

DR-07 -> Audacity -> Windows Movie Maker -> YouTube
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blown_Petals » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 pm

I don't have a stable recording config or process; I record with different workflows almost every single time. It depends what and where I'm recording, and what I want to do, but an example flow for tracking an electric guitar with the pictured gear might be something like:
1) Guitar into the Rupert Neve DI to capture a DI recording; I'll also send the Thru to a Hi-Z input on the Apollo x6 so I can apply something to the sound at this stage (maybe just for monitoring or maybe track that along with the DI).
1a) Anytime you're micing into an Apollo, if you use the Unison technology (say, a pre-amp) to emulate impedances, gain stage behaviours, etc., then that's a 'commit' that can't be subsequently unwound.
2) The DAW I use is Ableton Live 10, using the Apollo x6 as the interface.
3) The x6 has S/PDIF in/out so I'm able to connect the Helix Floor and re-amp the DI signal through that if I want, using that to model amps/cabs/mics/effects and come back on a virtual channel in UAD Console, and back into Live; the Helix is essentially "hairpinned" in this configuration, not used as an interface but just to loop tracks through, if desired.
4) I use a Radial JCR to re-amp the DI track through various IRL/physical amps and cabinets I have, and mic that with different mics...and back into the Apollo. I commented on a separate thread about the power of the Townsend Labs L22 Sphere (and alternatives) for mic modeling.
4a) I also use a Radial EXTC for re-amping through different IRL/physical stomp boxes and rack effects chains...and back into the Apollo.
5) Monitoring is a bit of an issue for me at this workstation because this room is not properly treated for acoustics, so I take a "defence in depth" approach. The Adam A7Xs are the primary monitors here but the Sennheiser HD650 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones provide different perspectives. The Auratones are famous for this purpose (shit on their own but ruthlessly efficient for exposing mix-down problems), so that's why they're there. The final source of truth though would never be this room; everything is always played back through a proper audiophile rig in a different room.
6) Once I'm "in the box" then it's a whole 'nother world of plugin/software joy...a topic for a different thread...
Of course, sometimes I might just crank an amp and put a mic or two in front of the cab(s), take that into the x6, sprinkle a little Unison dust on it, and get cracking on the software side. Other instruments would be different.
20200929_183019.jpg
Blown_Petals

interested
interested

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:32 am

I can see you like having quality .gifs rolling on that screen
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:07 pm

I'm recording some source material to feed into a sampler.

Transducer #1: contact microphone affixed to metal cutting grafted onto a dried blackberry cane. (picture taken right before finishing assembly)

That's fed into a tetanus booster feeding a mixer channel panned left.

Source: snare drum.

Transducer #2: Oktava MK-219 flown in under the snare. That's feeding a mixer channel panned right.

Recorder: Akai DR4d (old pic, I've since summoned the intellectual wherewithal to stick the patchbay below the recorder)

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:07 pm

:love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:40 am

Bet these will sound cool! :thumb: Nice stick
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am

don't know how i missed this, but that is a really cool setup. will you share any audio from it somewhere soon?
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 pm

ibarakishi wrote:don't know how i missed this, but that is a really cool setup. will you share any audio from it somewhere soon?

I used some of the sample stock to fill out my recent live set:

https://soundcloud.com/crochambeau/view ... t20oct2022

Of course, there is a pile of material atop/to the side of the raw samples which are often passing through circuitry.

If you're interested I'd be happy to share the raw recordings, probably via dropbox, but it's not fit for proper release in my mind.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:52 pm

i will sit down today and listen while i work, thanks for the link!

can you talk more about the Jensen 918 preamp?
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:12 am

ibarakishi wrote:can you talk more about the Jensen 918 preamp?

In 1977 Deane Jensen published to public domain technical documents involving a discrete transistor operational amplifier with a microphone preamplifier circuit in the application notes. I drafted a PCB largely based on the schematic, my build isn't enjoying the same power supply magnitude as original design but seems to work and can distort like a mofo is pushed (but does not favor guitar as much as synth or percussive sounds)

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Tech & Recording