Drum Programming Thread!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Drum Programming Thread!

Postby IBNYX » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi!

So I'm back to actually producing/recording music instead of just making patches on various synths and pedals, and I'm just now getting into the world of programming drum VSTs.
Before now, when I wasn't doing much guitar/vocal based music, I would just programming static samples as beats and whatnot, but early in the year I picked up Addictive Drums 2 and have been having a blast with it bringing some demos and full tunes to a higher caliber.

Anyone else in here use this workflow? My understanding is that a bunch of metal players will use programmed drums in their music, either for replacements or just full-on tracks.
Muslim Trans Dyke | DD-500 Evangelist
Instagram Reddit
”Back and forth, soul without a body walks; It sees love and it sees witnessing, but not so much what the difference is.”
IBNYX

interested
interested

Re: Drum Programming Thread!

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:45 am

I spend a lot of time programming drums and I hate it :lol: :lol:

In my main band I just do it for demos so I don't put much effort in. Whenever I have to make it sound more like it like a real drummer I find it exhausting. Addictive Drums is fantastic though, I use it all the time.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:05 am

Yep. I use AD2.
I write all the notation in Guitar Pro then export the midi to AD2 (had to map stuff to get it to play right though).
I then adjust the velocity of the hits, and humanise stuff a bit.
I write all my own music in Guitar Pro, so the drum programming is a natural part of the workflow. I struggle a bit outside of that context.

In the end it's decent for demos.

This is a killer instrumental metal tune, written by a killer guitarist. It's not with AD2, but to me it just shows the problem with programmed drums. These drums are programmed pretty nicely, and software has gotten a bit better since this was recorded, but I'm just completely allergic to that sound these days. So um.. it's a good idea but there are so many awesome drummers out there. If you're playing to a click I'd just send the notation to a rad session drummer. Hannes Grossmann is a god-level drummer and he'll do a song for 300 euro, including writing recording and mastering all the drums.
D.o.S. wrote:Slow down there Hall & Nopes that's a lot of melons for a meatbox.

Debut album droppedJan 5. Fuck yeah. http://open.spotify.com/album/0vXjnDeyPNfeXWNvQRYP1H
My band /// Instagram ///Facebook ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chromandre » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 pm

just another option, I don't know I just wanted to point out how much I love working with the MPC. If you can ever settle on a set of samples and just explore all the available features they actually designed it so its easy to recreate drummerisms like the feel of ride cymbal(swing feature), closed- middle-open hihat (decay switch), ghost notes(velocity -> attack) a bunch of other things. Its a really fun drum machine.
chromandre

involved
involved

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Interesting, MPCs have looked cool to me for years. I also like using hardware sequencers but I use them for more electronic stuff and go to DAW for trying to make decent sounding "drums" drums.

I agree with goroth in that I can never make anything anywhere near as good as a proper drummer. But in making my solo stuff I don't have a budget to pay anyone so I go with what I can do :lol:
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby IBNYX » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:31 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Interesting, MPCs have looked cool to me for years. I also like using hardware sequencers but I use them for more electronic stuff and go to DAW for trying to make decent sounding "drums" drums.

I agree with goroth in that I can never make anything anywhere near as good as a proper drummer. But in making my solo stuff I don't have a budget to pay anyone so I go with what I can do :lol:

I feel like in more electronically oriented music it may not be that big of a deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m def gonna be using the humanizing features in my DAW and in the plugin itself though. Also taking advantage of the massive fucking midi library and that a lot of my editing/part writing can be done right from the same window.
Muslim Trans Dyke | DD-500 Evangelist
Instagram Reddit
”Back and forth, soul without a body walks; It sees love and it sees witnessing, but not so much what the difference is.”
IBNYX

interested
interested

Return to Tech & Recording