· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: RM-1N

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:36 am

:poke:

Lemme know if someone can provide clarification on whether this stuff is normal.

I think the cracks were isolated incidents. Was weird, but haven't heard them since, and may not even have been from the pedal.

I assume the heartbeats is normal even on 0 pre/post-gain? (prob a bit quieter than I first thought too) Can someone comment on whether the sputtery breakup stuff is supposed to be there on high gain settings? Was only worried cause I couldn't spot any of it in the demos. Realize every unit's different though.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:25 am

Post a video. 'Sputtery breakup' sounds like something I'd say my RM-1N would do. Descriptions like that are pretty difficult to transfer to real life sounds.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 am

A lot of that stuff sounds normal, they're a bit of a noisy circuit so a lot of unpredictable stuff can happen

My query: LED hasn't been functioning properly lately. It'll be okay when I first power up but then just go off and not come back on :( not a massive enough issue to ship back and forth internationally BUT if I can fix myself I would be happy

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 am

Also worth noting: this is my favourite pedal of all time and the last thing I would sell should I have to sell my pedals

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

My LED has been out for the last year or so. :lol:

I will send it back eventually though, as I'm super forgetful and forget to turn it off between songs. :p

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 am

UglyCasanova wrote:My LED has been out for the last year or so. :lol:

I will send it back eventually though, as I'm super forgetful and forget to turn it off between songs. :p

You can buy the bulbs at a hardware store or online. You can also switch the LED in these for a standard 5mm or even 10mm bulb and add a resistor to it. I did that in mine, super simple.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 am

Mine is actually not fried. It pops back on again every now and then (sometimes accompanied by a crazy slammed reverb tank sound). I've tried looking for any bad connections, but I couldn't find any. Definitely a job for someone more skilled than me, AKA Andrew.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:59 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Mine is actually not fried. It pops back on again every now and then (sometimes accompanied by a crazy slammed reverb tank sound). I've tried looking for any bad connections, but I couldn't find any. Definitely a job for someone more skilled than me, AKA Andrew.

Well, like I said, it could just be the bulb. If it's the bulb, you can literally take it out and put a new one back in. That way you save on shipping and all that jazz. Or jizz??? Is it jizz??? ;)

Any idea what size the bulb is? I'll even find one online for you. I can't remember as it's been ages since I messed with one. I recall Andrew tell me though that they'd eventually go out.

ORRRRRRRRRRR I have a BETTER solution. Send it to me, I'll fix it up for free with a 10mm LED and you can still keep the jewel in there.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 pm

That's nice of you, jbone, but Andrew is modding mine a bit as well, so it's heading his way after we're done recording the final song on the new album. Seriously though, you da man :hug:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:40 am

UglyCasanova wrote:That's nice of you, jbone, but Andrew is modding mine a bit as well, so it's heading his way after we're done recording the final song on the new album. Seriously though, you da man :hug:

oooh what mods? i could use a touch more clean volume but i cant think of what else i would change, so im curious :cool:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:53 pm

Speaking of mods....

I picked up an rm-1n a few months back and absolutely love it except I do wish the tone control had more range, especially on the treble side. I would love to be able to get bright, piercing reverb drenched tones in addition to what it does now. It seems the tone control has very little effect, at least one mine. I compared this head to head to the dba reverb machine in the store and liked this so much more overall but that's one thing I liked about the dba pedal. Not sure if this is something that could be modded without sacrificing the existing character.

I guess I could reach out to Andrew to see if this might be possible?

Edit: - little more volume when not using the gains would be nice too!

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 pm

The DBA verb is shrill as fuck. I didn't like that about it personally. You could always just put an EQ or a ear piercing OD in front or after the RM-1N though. Are you sure you've got the highpass filter on? I keep the tone on my RM-1N rolled back with the lowpass filter on. :lol:

Goose: Post gain stomp. I thought I'd might ask for a new enclosure for a price as well. Always loved the way resin's RM-1N looked. Something along those lines :snax:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:37 pm

:D

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:18 am

Here's the video to demonstrate the sputtery breakup. I tried to vary my picking strength picking to show how it's responding to each. I can record again with different amounts of postgain but I think the video shows that postgain has an effect too. It's pregain that introduces it though, postgain only exaccerbates it (level and tone aswell IIRC). The mic didn't really pick up the ongoing "pitterpatter" very well when not playing. You can kinda hear it at 1:00, but it's much more pronounced IRL. When my amp starts buzzing (mentioned below), you can hear it alot better. Obviously at 5:10 and probably elsewhere (didn't watch over the whole vid) it is rather pronounced and a better representation of what it's like (although I was on a high postgain setting, it doesn't have to be high postgain for it to be this pronounced even though the vid doesn't really show it).

Anyway, just let me know if this is normal. There are fuzz sounds I can get from the pedal beyond the high pregain or mid/pregain+postgain settings that don't have the breakup. And I can still use the sputtery settings as long as i'm not picking too softly or letting notes ring.

Also, I didn't record this, but I assume the long reverb setting feeds back quite easily at about midway on the reverb mix and depth?

The "buzzing" sound first heard at 1:55 isn't from the pedal. I think it's 60 cycle hum. I've had it for a while and yet to work out what the problem is. Moving the amps to a different outlet soon, hopefully that'll fix it but I doubt it. There seemed to be some sort of weird noise issue coming through on the recording too. Gotta sort both out cause I wanna do some home recording early next year:/

Anyway - I didn't try to record the heartbeat, but after recording I realized you can barely hear it. I think it may be more pronounced on the other amp (playing through a different one), or may just be realizing just how minor it is, or may be because the amp was quiet (it's late here and didn't want to wake up the neighbourhood).

At the end of the vid I tried to record the echo degrader to capture what I was talking about with the degrade knob. Was noisy when you turn it, which I demonstrated, but you said that was normal so all good. I tried to capture the other stuff I talked about, but I really need to let it feed back a lot to get degredation at 10:00. As mentioned it's late here so didn't want to be too noisy and play for too long so gave up trying (so the echo stuff at the end isn't important and don't really need to bother watching).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SkJAXuUV0

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:53 am

My RM-1N sputters like that as well, if not as much as yours. Sounds like a MASF Possessed almost. :snax:

Have you tried powering them with one-spots? Both my Indstrialectric pedals act weird on isolated power supplies.
Post a reply